• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where has "god" been lately?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?
Again, in the last 100 years?

Now I know I'll get some answers that are in the realm of:

"If you can't see them it's because you're not looking."
"If you're not open to them, you won't find them."

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years that even remotely equals in scope any of the things “god” has been credited with doing roughly 2000-ish years ago, and/or any time previous to then?

Can you site an instance, a date, a specific occurrence that was almost undeniably "god" making "his/her" presence known?

That's very vague.

I'm looking for a specific incident. Something where a history book 2000 years from now will suggest that yes, "god" did indeed have a hand in ____________ happen during the mid-1900's to early 2000's.

I think that many are still looking for an explanation as to the Miracle of the Sun in Fatima.

OM

How about the year, 1914, when the 1st World War began?

“If ever there was a year that marked the end of an era and the beginning of another, it was 1914. That year brought to an end the old world with sense of security and began the modern age, characteristic of which is the insecurity that is our daily portion.” --Oxford historian A. L. Rowse

“The shot which was fired on June 28, 1914, in Sarajevo, had shattered the world of security and creative reason...The world has never been the same place since...It was a turning point, and the wonderful, calm, attractive world of yesterday had vanished, never again to appear.”​—Review of the book Winston S. Churchill, Vol. 2, by Randolph Churchill.

“Thoughts and pictures come to my mind...thoughts from before the year 1914 when there was real peace, quiet and security on this earth​—a time when we didn’t know fear...Security and quiet have disappeared from the lives of men since 1914.”​—German statesman Konrad Adenauer, 1965

“The whole world really blew up about World War I and we still don’t know why...Utopia was in sight. There was peace and prosperity. Then everything blew up. We’ve been in a state of suspended animation ever since.”​—Dr. Walker Percy, “American Medical News,” November 21, 1977

“In 1914 the world lost a coherence which it has not managed to recapture since...This has been a time of extraordinary disorder and violence, both across national frontiers and within them.”​—“The Economist,” London, August 4, 1979

“Civilization entered on a cruel and perhaps terminal illness in 1914.”​—Frank Peters, St. Louis “Post-Dispatch,” January 27, 1980

“Everything would get better and better. This was the world I was born in...Suddenly, unexpectedly, one morning in 1914 the whole thing came to an end.”​—British statesman Harold Macmillan, New York “Times,” November 23, 1980

That's very vague.

So what's the point of this thread then if you already know how people are going to respond? What's your agenda here?

Has “god” done anything in the past 100 years...
Try the last two thousand years. The answer is no. Obviously the atheist answer to this is "...and, therefore, God doesn't exist" since they are big believers that an absence of evidence is evidence of absence. I, OTOH, believe the opposite. It's a good question and exploring "why" is interesting, but without any evidence either way, it's impossible to say. Just a lot of questions.

So what's the point of this thread then if you already know how people are going to respond? What's your agenda here?

My guess is to troll Christians. It's a common hobby among militant atheists.

Try the last two thousand years. The answer is no. Obviously the atheist answer to this is "...and, therefore, God doesn't exist" since they are big believers that an absence of evidence is evidence of absence. I, OTOH, believe the opposite. It's a good question and exploring "why" is interesting, but without any evidence either way, it's impossible to say. Just a lot of questions.

I find it no small coincidence that the understanding of God as a benevolent (and yet at times also malevolent) bearded father figure sitting on a throne directing our fates, just so happens to also exhibit the primary attributes of Bronze Age kings ruling over vassal states. And I’ve often wondered why in the very distant future they would be prophesied as still fighting battles with swords and horses. Could it be that nobody knows for certain what God is – IF God is, and that people of the 21st century still cling to ancient beliefs?

ETA: I mean, if prophecies were real, why isn’t God and his angels lobbing nukes at their enemies from afar?

OM

Where has "god" been lately?
On the minds of obsessive atheists like you,

Sometime after 9/11 a small number of narcissists calling themselves The New Atheists began missionary work among the weak-minded masses, bringing about a worldwide renaissance of interest in God.

I find it no small coincidence that the understanding of God as a benevolent (and yet at times also malevolent) bearded father figure sitting on a throne directing our fates, just so happens to also exhibit the primary attributes of Bronze Age kings ruling over vassal states. And I’ve often wondered why in the very distant future they would be prophesied as still fighting battles with swords and horses. Could it be that nobody knows for certain what God is – IF God is, and that people of the 21st century still cling to ancient beliefs?

ETA: I mean, if prophecies were real, why isn’t God and his angels lobbing nukes at their enemies from afar?

OM

Agreed about the views of God by ancient peoples being more inline with kings and kingdoms than a non-corporeal entity more powerful and greater than the entire Universe itself. Something that boggles the minds of modern people much less those who thought the Earth was flat and the center of the Universe.

Other religions followed similar ideas; anthropomorphizing their gods into something understandable to humans such as Zeus or Odin not to mention wars of the Gods or God. If God is really all powerful and all knowing, then why create Lucifer and have to fight Armageddon against him? IMO, it's simply human beings trying to understand the unknowable.

It appears some people here forget what sub-section we're in here, and what it's supposed to be about.

Please let me remind some of you: https://www.debatepolitics.com/beliefs-and-skepticism/306889-beliefs-and-skepticism-forum.html

With part of the Title of this section being SKEPTICISM it seems rather odd that some people get bent over topics that are designed to follow the rules here.

If your little feelings get hurt by topics or questions designed to follow the rules here please feel free to go play in the safety and protection of the Theology section, just one small click away. right here: https://www.debatepolitics.com/theology/

Hard to believe even a global mod needs to be reminded of that, but obviously it's a possibility here.

In this area of DP we are allowed and encouraged to be Skeptical and to question anything and all things religion.

Don't friggin like it, don't friggin come here.
Don't like the questions. Don't respond.
Don't like me, ignore me.

As the rules of this area stand, I'll continue to ask any skeptical, non-believing, please prove to me posts I wish.

Bottom line, don't like it - you're free to leave.

Happy Thursday

Last edited:
How about the year, 1914, when the 1st World War began?

“If ever there was a year that marked the end of an era and the beginning of another, it was 1914. That year brought to an end the old world with sense of security and began the modern age, characteristic of which is the insecurity that is our daily portion.” --Oxford historian A. L. Rowse

“The shot which was fired on June 28, 1914, in Sarajevo, had shattered the world of security and creative reason...The world has never been the same place since...It was a turning point, and the wonderful, calm, attractive world of yesterday had vanished, never again to appear.”​—Review of the book Winston S. Churchill, Vol. 2, by Randolph Churchill.

“Thoughts and pictures come to my mind...thoughts from before the year 1914 when there was real peace, quiet and security on this earth​—a time when we didn’t know fear...Security and quiet have disappeared from the lives of men since 1914.”​—German statesman Konrad Adenauer, 1965

“The whole world really blew up about World War I and we still don’t know why...Utopia was in sight. There was peace and prosperity. Then everything blew up. We’ve been in a state of suspended animation ever since.”​—Dr. Walker Percy, “American Medical News,” November 21, 1977

“In 1914 the world lost a coherence which it has not managed to recapture since...This has been a time of extraordinary disorder and violence, both across national frontiers and within them.”​—“The Economist,” London, August 4, 1979

“Civilization entered on a cruel and perhaps terminal illness in 1914.”​—Frank Peters, St. Louis “Post-Dispatch,” January 27, 1980

“Everything would get better and better. This was the world I was born in...Suddenly, unexpectedly, one morning in 1914 the whole thing came to an end.”​—British statesman Harold Macmillan, New York “Times,” November 23, 1980

You're suggesting "god" is responsible for starting WW1????

If he exists then he is evil enough for that. At least she knows the right date now, she used to think that WW1 started in 2014.

Jesus' actions in heaven are responsible, yes...

"So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him." Revelation 12:9

Questions From Readers

When was Satan cast out of heaven?​—Rev. 12:1-9.

Although the Bible book of Revelation does not give the precise time of Satan’s ousting, it does mention a series of events that can help us to estimate when he was cast out of heaven. First among the events is the birth of the Messianic Kingdom. Subsequent to that, “war broke out in heaven,” which led to Satan’s defeat and his finally being cast out of heaven.

The Scriptures clearly mark 1914 as the year when “the appointed times of the nations” ended and the Kingdom was established.* (Luke 21:24) How soon after that did the war in heaven break out, resulting in Satan’s ousting?

“The dragon [Satan] kept standing before the woman who was about to give birth,” states Revelation 12:4, “that, when she did give birth, it might devour her child.” This shows that Satan wanted to dispose of the newborn Kingdom quickly, at the moment of its birth if at all possible. Though Jehovah’s intervention prevented Satan from realizing his wicked intention, Satan was determined and relentless in his effort to do harm to the newly established Kingdom. It stands to reason, therefore, that “Michael and his angels” would waste no time in taking action to remove “the dragon and its angels” from the heavenly scene so that no harm could come to the Kingdom. This suggests that the defeat and ousting of Satan took place soon after the Kingdom’s birth in 1914.

Another factor to consider is the resurrection of anointed Christians, which​—as Scriptural evidence indicates—​began soon after the establishment of the Kingdom.* (Rev. 20:6) Since none of Christ’s anointed brothers are spoken of as accompanying Jesus in the battle with the dragon and its angels, the war in heaven and the ousting of Satan and his demons would have been completed by the time the resurrection of Christ’s brothers got under way.

So, then, the Bible does not reveal the exact time when Satan and his demons were expelled from heaven. Nevertheless, it is evident that this event closely followed the enthronement of Jesus Christ in heaven in 1914.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009367#h=1:0-10:66

That's very vague.

A lot of fundies think God re-created Israel after WWII. That was a prophecy. Interesting that most of them HATE the UN.

So what about WW2???

Jesus responsible for that too?

Did you read the scriptures cited? Satan has been roaming the earth, ever since..."misleading the entire inhabited earth"...thus the reason for so much turmoil on the earth since 1914...

Jesus' actions in heaven are responsible, yes...

"So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him." Revelation 12:9

Questions From Readers

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009367#h=1:0-10:66

Two things:
1) This is a classic example of a messianic author betraying the original texts. The "original serpent" was a religious trickster animal, not "Satan" (who in turn wasn't even conceptualized in the realm of Jewish thought until the Persian period).
2) This entire book was a veiled-reference to Rome under Domitian, written by an author well-versed in ancient Babylonian mysticism, and using it symbolically.

OM

Two things:
1) This is a classic example of a messianic author betraying the original texts. The "original serpent" was a religious trickster animal, not "Satan" (who in turn wasn't even conceptualized in the realm of Jewish thought until the Persian period).
2) This entire book was a veiled-reference to Rome under Domitian, written by an author well-versed in ancient Babylonian mysticism, and using it symbolically.

OM

That is your belief, not mine...

.....Bottom line, don't like it - you're free to leave.

Happy Thursday
Agreed, if you don't like it - you're free to leave. Who is violating the rules and why haven't you reported them?

Purpose
- General free-for-all discussion forum for anything relating to systems of belief, or the lack thereof.
- A place for those desiring to debate these topics with those from a wide variety of "foundational" standpoints.

This forum is for For debating and discussing matters relating to beliefs from a skeptical and/or faith-based standpoint.

Did you read the scriptures cited? Satan has been roaming the earth, ever since..."misleading the entire inhabited earth"...thus the reason for so much turmoil on the earth since 1914...

No I'm not going to read scriptures.

So if Satan is freely roaming the earth where is "god"?
Why would "god" allow that to happen?

You're suggesting "god" is basically killing millions upon millions for what? Just for giggles?

That's YOUR loving "god"????

Back
Top Bottom