• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where does this obama is the messiah idea come from?

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Seriously,
I see people calling Obama the One or the messiah. Obviously it is in jest, but where does this idea come from?

Everyone I know in RL has either voted for him or against him because of his proposed policies. Am I living in a bubble or something?

I really don't know, personally. I've mostly ignored this transparent attempt by the right to make the left feel foolish. It doesn't succeed, but I think they think it does, and seem to feel good about themselves when they use the word.

I literally am at a complete loss to even know what they mean when they express that they think that I think he's the messiah, so I just ignore it and move on.

Seriously,
I see people calling Obama the One or the messiah. Obviously it is in jest, but where does this idea come from?

Everyone I know in RL has either voted for him or against him because of his proposed policies. Am I living in a bubble or something?

It was a play on how overhyped Obama was during the elections, despite a lack of anything remotely like executive experience. Also, a mockery of the way the media fawned on him during the elections and most of his first year in office. A number of media figures made statements about Obama that were so ludicrously over the top, so nauseatingly worshipful, that someone coined the terms as a way of expressing their dismay that someone who had accomplished so little so far was being so idolized.

It was a jeer at one of the most successful political campaigns in United States' history. Sometimes it was hard to determine whether or not the GoP was still playing ball.

Enh, its just a simple identifier; it allows rational human beings to quickly identify the mindless idiots and talking-point morons.

Seriously,

It's a satirical take on the cult-like worship of the man.

Could you name some of these proposed "policies" and provide a few links to these policies, preferably news articles from before the election.

Cause I can't recall a single "policy" Obama Proposed. Just rhetoric.

It didn't help matters when the media started defending Obama's community organizer experience, by noting that Jesus was also a community organizer. The media certainly fell in love early and hard for the man.

It didn't help matters when the media started defending Obama's community organizer experience, by noting that Jesus was also a community organizer. The media certainly fell in love early and hard for the man.

Then perhaps the mouth breathers who use the term should direct their complaints to the media. :roll:

I think it USED to be satirical but now they've told the lie so many times they've started to believe it's true.

Seriously,

The Right started that during the election.
I think it was because of the "hope and change" campaign slogan.

Then perhaps the mouth breathers who use the term should direct their complaints to the media. :roll:

I have to wonder why people take offense to it in the first place.I'll give him credit, at least Obama isn't as reactionary as his mouth breathing supporters.

It's a satirical take on the cult-like worship of the man.

Could you name some of these proposed "policies" and provide a few links to these policies, preferably news articles from before the election.

Cause I can't recall a single "policy" Obama Proposed. Just rhetoric.

Healthcare?
The Health Care Blog: A Detailed Analysis of Barack Obama's Health Care Reform Plan

Tax cuts for those earning less than $250k?
Obama and McCain Tax Proposals - washingtonpost.com

Energy policy?
Organizing for America | New Energy for America

Seriously,

As I recall, McCain ran an ad during the election called, "The One". Whatever fragments of the idea may have been out there before that, were cemented once this ran.

New McCain Ad: Obama May Be "The One"

BTW, the portion where Obama says, "A light will shine...", is him joking. Here's the entire quote:

"My job this morning is to be so persuasive...that a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Barack,"

Obama: No warrantless wiretaps if you elect me | News Blog - CNET News

I have to wonder why people take offense to it in the first place.I'll give him credit, at least Obama isn't as reactionary as his mouth breathing supporters.

Oh, I'm not offended by the term. Like I said, it's informative: the second I see it, I instantly know that the person using it is a complete pinhead. :2wave:

Seriously,

Lots of excuses will be made for it, but the honest truth is that those opposed to him cannot accept that people might have preferred his policies. Since it could not be his policies, then it must be something else. It's also an easy way to put down those who disagree with you...don't debate the issue, just make fun of those who think that way.

For me the joke came from images depicted Obama with a halo-like ring or aura of light around him. . . various online and magazine images as well as some mainstream media propaganda.

I think it USED to be satirical but now they've told the lie so many times they've started to believe it's true.

I think even Obama thinks it's true. :eyeroll:

I think even Obama thinks it's true. :eyeroll:

I think he always believed it was true... until lately, when he's finding out that even with super-majorities in both houses, it isn't as stroke-of-the-pen simple to implement your agenda as he thought it was going to be.

I sense a lot of frustration coming off of him lately.

Seriously,

Perhaps it was the tendency for the media to portray him with Godly/angelic backdrops...auras...while he was running...

I think he always believed it was true... until lately, when he's finding out that even with super-majorities in both houses, it isn't as stroke-of-the-pen simple to implement your agenda as he thought it was going to be.

I sense a lot of frustration coming off of him lately.

I think this is true in some ways for each president. They come in thinking that they will be able to get things done and make the country better as they see it, and when they run into reality, it sucks for them.

Back
Top Bottom