• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where Do You Want to Live: Red State or Blue State?

If you think every man must pull himself up by his own bootstraps then you must also believe in a 100% inheritance tax and the criminalization of nepotism.
What? Nobody knows who Horatio Algers was. Do they teach anything in school anymore? I am from the past. Do people still go to school?

I simply wanted to live free, so I retired and moved abroad.
There's little difference between living in a Red or Blue State when government constantly grows more Centralized to the point of being the equivalent of an imposed religion.

Government bonds. It makes the transfer easier.
Maybe what you're looking for is a debit card with access to the Federal Reserve?

By some chance did you recently read "Atlas Shrugged"?

Since I'm not retired and independently wealthy, I'd rather live in a Blue state, or at least a Blue area of a Red state so I can actually get a decent wage.
Red state for sure. You need to live in California if you want to live in a blue state or maybe NY, housing cost being what they are.

May I suggest we start with responsibility?

The biggest problem, in my opinion, that those us claiming to be "right leaning" see, is that the ":eft" doesn't care about responsibility. Seriously. The left doesn't seem to care about being responsible, in fact, they seem to cater to irresponsibility.

Now I can't speak for other right leaning people, but my personal opinion is that if a person is not going to attempt to be responsible, then they deserve all the help we can give. If they are not going to be respoonsible, then they deserve nothing. I am all for social "safety nets" until people decide to use them as hammocks.

How about root problem analysis? Why do we have these poverty stricken areas? Should we try to help? Absolutely... YES! However, help needs to come with a goal.

Consider that please.
Very good post here, my friend. I'd just add that a difficult thing to address is cultural-familial awareness. An individual may be part of a social-culture or family group that never passed-on the values to their children, that you describe as being necessary for you to provide assistance.

For some of us, we take it for granted that we all know the basics of showing-up on time, dressing appropriately, acting appropriately, etc., etc. But you need to learn that from somewhere, and not everyone has that opportunity. And in the world of work, no one wants to train anyone in those life-skills; they expect the proper skills to be present, and if not the hiring authority will simply move on to another candidate.

So in some cases it's not enough to provide a little social assistance in the form of a few bucks, or some food, or some job training. The individual may need to learn some basic life-skills & understanding of the employment word they need to enter. Until that individual growth occurs, some individuals my be seen as appearing unworthy or unappreciative, when in reality they may be simply, but tragically, unawares.

Anyway, obviously I'm a political liberal. But I think you presented the conservative viewpoint very well in your post. Despite my liberal politics, I am conservative in my personal life. I very mush agree with what you put forth in your post. After 'honesty' and 'compassion', there's nothing much more important than 'personally responsibility'. But then my dad beat that into me, like his dad beat it into him, and I in-turn beat it into my kids. Some of us are just lucky!

Last edited:
Since I'm not retired and independently wealthy, I'd rather live in a Blue state, or at least a Blue area of a Red state so I can actually get a decent wage.
You will need more than a decent wage for blue cities like LA or NYC. You will need 3 or 4 room mates to go along with that decent wage. Unless your from that city and live with parents,

Reading these posts it seems most people think that if only he or she worked harder they could pull themselves out of poverty or drug addiction or whatever. But for most people it does not work like that. For them it is a chemistry experiment. Pour some of this in and some of that in and if the ingredients are always the same then the results will always the same. It is only for people that have choices in life that there is free will. Think of that when you discuss people that don't have choices

To tick off Walmart boot wearing newcomers..
Should Texas turn blue , then it would go green. So what would happen to all the oil and gas jobs in the great state of Texas?

Should Texas turn blue , then it would go green. So what would happen to all the oil and gas jobs in the great state of Texas?
They will eventually go away. Texas is a great state with a great history. Technology is the future and fossil fuels the past. Texas could be the next silicon valley. But the rednecks have to stop beating up the nerds (and taking their girl friends).

Successful cities?? Name for me a successful liberal city and then define success?

Blue cities make up about 85% of the total GDP of the nation. The rest of the country is just coming along for the ride- and man are they whiny backseat drivers. If you don't quiet down I will turn this car around RIGHT NOW, you hear me? 😁

Then why do you want to increase the cost of living in this state? Liberalism isn't free but your opinions although misguided are. Your whole family has to accept responsibility for the results you generate by converting this state to California, why would they even consider doing that

The only reason cost of living goes up anywhere is because it's a desirable place to live.

The only reason cost of living goes up anywhere is because it's a desirable place to live.
There are many factors involved when determining the cost of living. Desirability may have absolutely nothing to do with it. Anchorage, AK, for example, has a cost of living that is 127% above the national norm. While Alaska may be a desirable location for some, that is not a significant contributing factor. It is primarily the cost of goods and services that determines the cost of living. How much homes cost. Even the amount of crime is a factor.

Kodiak, AK, has a cost of living that is 155% above the national norm. Not because it is even a more desirable place to live than Anchorage, but rather because all the goods and services are even more expensive than Anchorage. Which is also reflected in home prices. If you are paying more for the materials to build a home, then the home is naturally going to cost more.

Alaska is a very expensive place to live, but that is the price of paradise. :cool:

If you think every man must pull himself up by his own bootstraps then you must also believe in a 100% inheritance tax and the criminalization of nepotism.
Goodness me..... start at the bottom......every man should respect another, not live off the backs of others!
Those that control the country is not the government, those that control money supply does! Why on earth would anyone allow some stranger 5% of GDP, of the American nation, give up control of governments ability to spend,on American welfare of its nation! Year on year, since the fed was handed to bankers through corruption intrigue and assassination!

Very good post here, my friend. I'd just add that a difficult thing to address is cultural-familial awareness. An individual may be part of a social-culture or family group that never passed-on the values to their children, that you describe as being necessary for you to provide assistance.

For some of us, we take it for granted that we all know the basics of showing-up on time, dressing appropriately, acting appropriately, etc., etc. But you need to learn that from somewhere, and not everyone has that opportunity. And in the world of work, no one wants to train anyone in those life-skills; they expect the proper skills to be present, and if not the hiring authority will simply move on to another candidate.

So in some cases it's not enough to provide a little social assistance in the form of a few bucks, or some food, or some job training. The individual may need to learn some basic life-skills & understanding of the employment word they need to enter. Until that individual growth occurs, some individuals my be seen as appearing unworthy or unappreciative, when in reality they may be simply, but tragically, unawares.

Anyway, obviously I'm a political liberal. But I think you presented the conservative viewpoint very well in your post. Despite my liberal politics, I am conservative in my personal life. I very mush agree with what you put forth in your post. After 'honesty' and 'compassion', there's nothing much more important than 'personally responsibility'. But then my dad beat that into me, like his dad beat it into him, and I in-turn beat it into my kids. Some of us are just lucky!

You seem to have very low expectations from our public K-12 education system. Those basic “life-skills” expectations cited should have been required to get through elementary school.

Hmm... isn’t that much like saying that competition dives prices (costs) up?

Yep, the demand for labor is less than its supply, while the demand for affordable housing exceeds its supply.

Sure. There is so much prosperity and skilled labor there that it is leaving no room for the poorer or less skilled people. So they are left having to go to less desirable places to live like the red states. Thats why the cost of living there is lower. That’s how the free market works. I thought you liked that.

If you had the money, would you rather have a high rise penthouse in in San Francisco or overlooking Central Park, or some small town in the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama, where the main cultural attraction is the local Dairy Queen?

Last edited:
Sure. There is so much prosperity and skilled labor there that it is leaving no room for the poorer or less skilled people. So they are left having to go to less desirable places to live like the red states. Thats why the cost of living there is lower. That’s how the free market works. I thought you liked that.

If you had the money, would you rather have a high rise penthouse in in San Francisco or overlooking Central Park, or some small town in the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama, where the main cultural attraction is the local Dairy Queen?

If you had no money you could live (rent free) in that park. ;)

Last I heard, they still have Oil refineries even in Calif(LOL)

So I once met a Texan that spent a year in California installing cell towers. He said he went from San Diego to San Francisco and all points in between. I asked him which part he liked the most. He said the whole place sucked. I asked if he had been to Newport Beach or Laguna Beach? Yep. Santa Monica or Malibu? Yep. Ventura or Santa Barbara? Yep. Monterey or Santa Cruz? Yep. The Bay area? Yep. Did you like anyplace? I sure did, it reminded me of Texas. I asked where? Bakersfield. Now I almost spit out my beer when I heard that from him. Only a Texan would think Bakersfield is the best place in California. Sorry, the eye of the beholder is no excuse, Texas has very few places outside of the Big Bend area that can rival most if not all the West.
wh
There is quite a difference visiting California vs living there. Your idea of being a rival for California focus on beauty and not the cost of living, quality of life, and the social policies of the state. You can afford to live there as can I HOWEVER that isn't the issue, why is it your gov't is allowing the social disaster to exist in your state? What is it about liberalism that creates your kind of loyalty that is nothing but selfishness and lack of compassion for those that liberals claim they want to help?

They are poorest by all standards including incomes . Because most of us being poor is what suits Republicans. They have gutted the middle class to th epoint where nearly half of us cannot afford to pay income tax. Bidens income tax hikes in those making $400,000 or more are a good start to reversing that trend. I hope you pay through the nose.

So who forces people to live in a particular state? You focus on the wrong thing, what has your ideology done to eliminate social problems in those huge liberal states of California and NY? The grass is always greener someplace else until you get there. You buy rhetoric and ignore results, why is that? Still waiting for what in that link is false and why you have such a problem understanding that Democrats live in Red states? Have you bothered to figure out how much tax revenue the gov't is going to get from taxing those making over 400,000 per year? don't you think that would be a good start?

Goodness me..... start at the bottom......every man should respect another, not live off the backs of others!
Those that control the country is not the government, those that control money supply does! Why on earth would anyone allow some stranger 5% of GDP, of the American nation, give up control of governments ability to spend,on American welfare of its nation! Year on year, since the fed was handed to bankers through corruption intrigue and assassination!

Veiled reference to Jews.

Back
Top Bottom