• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where Do You Want to Live: Red State or Blue State?

Doesn’t higher cost of housing and higher wages cancel out. Then you must consider higher taxes. Which ever way you go I can appreciate the fact that you want to better your situation. Good luck to you.

To some extent, but not entirely. And it depends on industry, but generally speaking, on average housing costs and taxes go up, but not at the same rate as wages. Wages tend to increase quite a bit, and living expenses and taxes increase less in comparison. So while a person in MO is doing better than a person in NY with the same wage, a person in NY is doing better than a person in MO with the same occupation because they are compensated better compared to cost of living. And it will be easier to find work in NY. Of course there are always exceptions, but this is a general rule. You need a little more luck, hard work, and patience to advance in red areas than you do in blue ones by the simple fact that there are more people and more jobs in blue areas.

For a little more housing costs and taxes, there tend to be a lot more available wages.

Last edited:
To some extent, but not entirely. And it depends on industry, but generally speaking, on average housing costs and taxes go up, but not at the same rate as wages. Wages tend to increase quite a bit, and living expenses and taxes increase less in comparison. So while a person in MO is doing better than a person in NY with the same wage, a person in NY is doing better than a person in MO with the same occupation because they are compensated better compared to cost of living. And it will be easier to find work in NY.

For a little more housing costs and taxes, there tend to be a lot more available wages.

So people fleeing NY are fleeing opportunities and ease of finding a job? Very simplistic comment from you that ignores reality and the cost of liberalism reflected in wages as well as cost of goods and services.

I dream of living in McCready country Kentucky, a red utopia. The poorest county in the US, but lots of Oxy and Meth!

So people fleeing NY are fleeing opportunities and ease of finding a job? Very simplistic comment from you that ignores reality and the cost of liberalism reflected in wages as well as cost of goods and services.

More people are moving to NY than out of it. That doesn't mean that there aren't also job opportunities elsewhere, but in general those job opportunities tend to be in other blue areas. Very few people move into red areas in order to find work at a decent wage, comparatively speaking.

Having said all that, I would consider retiring in a red area. I like smaller, slower towns, and the lower cost of living would make my savings go farther.

I dream of living in McCready country Kentucky, a red utopia. The poorest county in the US, but lots of Oxy and Meth!

OK, what makes a city, county or state poor? Why is it people are fleeing the richest states in the country? Very simplistic comment that ignores personal responsibility as well as the cost of living for those poor people as once again a bubble liberal ignoring what that liberalism isn't free

More people are moving to NY than out of it. That doesn't mean that there aren't also job opportunities elsewhere, but in general those job opportunities tend to be in other blue areas. Very few people move into red areas in order to find work, comparatively speaking.

So then the following is wrong

So then the following is wrong

No, it's correct. A deadly pandemic changes things of course. From the article:

“These recent population shifts, if real, will be short-lived and change when the pandemic subsides,”

“Young adult Gen Zers could find cities attractive.”

Another factor is the increase in remote work that this pandemic has spurred. This might tend to even out political populations over time and start turning formerly red areas purple.

Another factor is the increase in remote work that this pandemic has spurred. This might even out political populations and start turning formerly red states purple.

Deadly pandemic and not the high cost of living and few opportunities for jobs? Guess people leaving NY for other states including Florida and Texas find working remotely not a problem, think people in TX and Florida pay NY taxes even if working remotely?

OK, what makes a city, county or state poor? Why is it people are fleeing the richest states in the country? Very simplistic comment that ignores personal responsibility as well as the cost of living for those poor people as once again a bubble liberal ignoring what that liberalism isn't free
Those that live in McCready country and other impoverished places like Boone County WV and Holmes County Mississippi continue voting for politicians that do absolutely nothing to lift the districts they represent out of poverty. They're not working to bring in jobs, increase the tax base or build infrastructure. Zip Zero zilch. I recently got back from visiting family in McCready, it is the most depressing place I have ever been in this country, yet my Uncle would rather according to him "keep voting for people with names I can pronounce than city arab minorities moving in and make it like detroit" :oops:

Those that live in McCready country and other impoverished places like Boone County WV and Holmes County Mississippi continue voting for politicians that do absolutely nothing to lift the districts they represent out of poverty. They're not working to bring in jobs, increase the tax base or build infrastructure. Zip Zero zilch. I recently got back from visiting family in McCready, it is the most depressing place I have ever been in this country, yet my Uncle would rather according to him "keep voting for people with names I can pronounce than city arab minorities moving in and make it like detroit" :oops:

Right and you keep voting for the same ideology that created the rioting in Seattle, Portland, LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Kenosha, Minneapolis, Louisville and expect different results. Little Detroit is another liberal disaster city as well but keep ignoring reality

Another factor is the increase in remote work that this pandemic has spurred. This might tend to even out political populations over time and start turning formerly red areas purple.

Tell me how much NY state and local taxes are paid by people moving out of the state

Right and you keep voting for the same ideology that created the rioting in Seattle, Portland, LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Kenosha, Minneapolis, Louisville and expect different results. Little Detroit is another liberal disaster city as well but keep ignoring reality
History lesson for you, Rioting and civil unrest have been going on in cities since cities have been around.
1855 - The Lager beer riots
1877 - The Chicago railroad strike
1886 - The Haymarket riot
1894 - The Pullman labor riot
1905 - The Teamsters strike
the Alderman wars 1916-21
1931 - the housing/eviction riot
The 1968 Democratic national convention
Every city in the US has always had civil unrest every few years. It keeps things lively, I love living in a city. And this is where there is money to be made. Unlike my Uncles Kentucky hometown where selling 20 oxys to guy in bar is considered a good days wage.

why does the 5th largest economy in the world have tent cities? What exactly does your ideology promote? Stunning how freedoms are so easy for you to discount and massive nanny state performance is ignored. What a waste of time you are, I voted for Trump on Tuesday
What sort of nonsense question is that? Every state in the US has homeless people and tent cities. It's a very sad thing. Your bullshit about "nanny state" is just you regurgitating what you hear on Fox News and the absurd ultra right-wing fear mongering websites you frequent. You haven't had an original thought that I can recall. You're posts read like there from someone who is full of hate, spite and lack any empathy for your fellow citizens...but you already know that...

History lesson for you, Rioting and civil unrest have been going on in cities since cities have been around.
1855 - The Lager beer riots
1877 - The Chicago railroad strike
1886 - The Haymarket riot
1894 - The Pullman labor riot
1905 - The Teamsters strike
the Alderman wars 1916-21
1931 - the housing/eviction riot
The 1968 Democratic national convention
Every city in the US has always had civil unrest every few years. It keeps things lively, I love living in a city. And this is where there is money to be made. Unlike my Uncles Kentucky hometown where selling 20 oxys to guy in bar is considered a good days wage.

So where were you during those riots or these? Stunning support for the liberal ideology and then whining and complaining about results generated by liberal policies! Who hires, funds, and trains the police in these areas and why exactly are police unions around the country endorsing Trump thus biting the hand that feeds them, something you apparently refuse to do

Seattle Riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AhVGKqwKHT3KB3AQjJkEegQIBRAB&biw=1427&bih=841

Portland riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...cPIDfoQjJkEegQIBBAB&biw=1427&bih=841&dpr=1.75

LA riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AhVSOKwKHXc8DPEQjJkEegQIBRAB&biw=1427&bih=841

Minneapolis riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...fDCC6gQjJkEegQIBBAB&biw=1427&bih=841&dpr=1.75

So where were you during those riots or these? Stunning support for the liberal ideology and then whining and complaining about results generated by liberal policies! Who hires, funds, and trains the police in these areas and why exactly are police unions around the country endorsing Trump thus biting the hand that feeds them, something you apparently refuse to do

Seattle Riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AhVGKqwKHT3KB3AQjJkEegQIBRAB&biw=1427&bih=841

Portland riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...cPIDfoQjJkEegQIBBAB&biw=1427&bih=841&dpr=1.75

LA riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AhVSOKwKHXc8DPEQjJkEegQIBRAB&biw=1427&bih=841

Minneapolis riot pictures

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...fDCC6gQjJkEegQIBBAB&biw=1427&bih=841&dpr=1.75
Civil unrest occurs in cities where lots of people reside, not po-dunk trailer park Mayberry where no one lives. I love Chicago and all of the opportunities here to make lots of money.

Deadly pandemic and not the high cost of living and few opportunities for jobs? Guess people leaving NY for other states including Florida and Texas find working remotely not a problem, think people in TX and Florida pay NY taxes even if working remotely?

There are more opportunities for jobs in blue areas, not less. Taxes reflect this.

Yep. I've already explained that, but Conservative likes to keep repeating the same questions expecting different answers. Time will tell what the lasting effect for the tri-state area will be considering the changes to how people work. Amongst colleagues I know, many have returned to their home states while the remote work model is still in effect. The question is when people will be expected back and the flexibility around working remotely.

Reactions: lwf
Yep. I've already explained that, but Conservative likes to keep repeating the same questions expecting different answers. Time will tell what the lasting effect for the tri-state area will be considering the changes to how people work. Amongst colleagues I know, many have returned to their home states while the remote work model is still in effect. The question is when people will be expected back and the flexibility around working remotely.
If you want to break this down between conservative and liberal, then riddle me this.

Why are all these riots in liberal cities, and not conservative ones?

If you want to break this down between conservative and liberal, then riddle me this.

" Conservative city" is somewhat of a misnomer, What do you consider a "conservative city"? Knoxville TN, Lafayette LA, Tyler TX? Jacksonville Florida?

" Conservative city" is somewhat of a misnomer, What do you consider a "conservative city"? Knoxville TN, Lafayette LA, Tyler TX? Jacksonville Florida?
A city that constantly votes in a conservative mayor and city council instead of those than constantly vote in liberal ones.

Portland, Seattle, etc. are hands down, liberal cities.

A city that constantly votes in a conservative mayor and city council instead of those than constantly vote in liberal ones.

Portland, Seattle, etc. are hands down, liberal cities.
And the cities that I mentioned, by your definition, are they Liberal or conservative? If you don't consider them to be conservative, list some cities that you do consider to be..

I didn't break it down between conservatives and liberals; I was referring to the poster whose handle is "Conservative" and not "conservatives" the group.

As for riots, Republican led cities weren't spared. Oklahoma City, Miami, and San Diego had their share of unrest as well. Now whether the leadership of a city defines it as a liberal or conservative city is another matter.

Last edited:
I didn't break it down between conservatives and liberals; I was referring to the poster whose handle is "Conservative" and not "conservatives" the group.

As for riots, Republican led cities weren't spared. Oklahoma City, Miami, and San Diego had their share of unrest as well. Now whether the leadership of a city defines it as a liberal or conservative city is another matter.

Having a “share of unrest” is vastly different than having riots and looting for many weeks on end.

I am in the blue section of Arizona. I do not expect the red section to permanently go to blue, but I think it might for this year.

And the cities that I mentioned, by your definition, are they Liberal or conservative? If you don't consider them to be conservative, list some cities that you do consider to be..

I think the largest city with a history of conservative mayors is Oklahoma City, and they squash demonstrations that turn violent rather fast, and don't allow their cities to burn like Portland. Portland hasn'r seen a right leaning mayor for forty years.

This has to do with the population, and as a whole, who the population votes for. You can tell Portlandia is full of libtards, not having a red mayor for 40 years...

Back
Top Bottom