• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Where do you sit on the political compass exactly?

Ahem said:
At the risk of straying off topic, I'm located a teensy weensy distance to the south west of dead centre.
Close to me:

Last edited:
I've taken this one before, I don't care for it.

one should be allowed to ignore a question, and no nuetrality is allowed in some of them.

Oddly enough I showed up as
Economic Left/Right: 4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

A libertarian.

the "cross" is also refered to as the Nolan chart.

http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html
http://www.politopia.com

Attachments

• cross.gif
    cross.gif
    888 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
Che said:
The main thing that I don't understand about libertarians is that they claim to be all about civil right yet most are pro-life. Libertarians seem close to cons in my opinion.

I am "pro-choice" (I am opposed to abortion, and might not associate with a woman who has had one)
I am also against state execution.

Most libertarians I know, put established rights (right over one's body) ahead of potential rights or priveledge of property (body) use.

---
Just for Che's clarity, not to start an abortion debate.

---
As far as libertarian views on abortion, they range. There are pro-lifers, anti-abortion, pro-choice. Most tend to think, that I have met, is there is little or no place in government regarding reproduction. Some of us feel there is little or no place for government in general also.

Abortion is, let's say, not a "core" libertarian issue. (a central and important issue, but not a major platform or philosophical issue for more libertarians)

Che said:
That means you are pro-life

Not necessarily.

I think women should have the right to chose to have an abortion but I'm opposed to abortion.

Just like I'm opposed to lying but I don't think the government should punish my friend for lying to me.

The Real McCoy said:
Not necessarily.

I think women should have the right to chose to have an abortion but I'm opposed to abortion.

Just like I'm opposed to lying but I don't think the government should punish my friend for lying to me.

I don't think any Pro-Choicers actively support people to have an abortion...

Che said:
That means you are pro-life

I don't say it like that, becuase the typical "pro-life" stance is to legislate it. Which is not my stance.

This is interesting, every time I have taken that test I have been just left of center, and VERY Libertarian. This time I was a little right of center and VERY Libertarian

3.38 Left/Right
-5.95 Libertarian/Authoritarian

alphieb said:
Your pic. looks kind of scary. Are you a terrorist?

Having a gun makes him scary and a terrorist to you?

Wow, I've got a P. 03 in a shoulder holster and an Enfiled Mk IV in my hand in my photo, I must be an entire band of guerrillas to you.

Che said:
The main thing that I don't understand about libertarians is that they claim to be all about civil right yet most are pro-life. Libertarians seem close to cons in my opinion.

I've been active on and off in the Libertarian party for 2 decades and have never, ever met a pro-life libertarian. I know many who personally oppose abortion and would never have one, but not a one that would make that position law.

galenrox said:
What about Steve Chapman, possibly the most famous libertarian columnist?

what about that guy Axismaster on this forum...

galenrox said:
Ah ha ha, touche!

Still, it does prove that they exist.

I think what's stranger than a pro-life libertarian is an anti-choice libertarian. Pro-life simply put means your opposed to abortion, which is fine, but being for anti-abortion legislation is a different thing entirely. For one, any libertarian worth his/her weight in anything understands that simple prohibition won't solve the problem, but only make it worse.

Can't much aruge with that.:cheers:

I kind of like you libertarians. I hope more Cons start switching to libertarians. That way Dems will have an easier time winning elections :lol:.

Che said:
I kind of like you libertarians. I hope more Cons start switching to libertarians. That way Dems will have an easier time winning elections :lol:.

I used to be a democrat not a republican. Worked for McCarthy in 68. Worked for McGovern in 72. Worked for Mo Udall in 76. Then the continued assault by the Democrats against the 2nd amendment, 1st amendment, and 14th amendment made me decide they were as bad as the Republicans and I left.

Don;t assume all Libertarians are former Conservative republicans. You'd be making a huge error.

Vandeervecken said:
I used to be a democrat not a republican. Worked for McCarthy in 68. Worked for McGovern in 72. Worked for Mo Udall in 76. Then the continued assault by the Democrats against the 2nd amendment, 1st amendment, and 14th amendment made me decide they were as bad as the Republicans and I left.

Don;t assume all Libertarians are former Conservative republicans. You'd be making a huge error.

Of course not all, but more than dems because libertarians tend to appeal to cons more

Che said:
Of course not all, but more than dems because libertarians tend to appeal to cons more

I think your information is a couple of decades out of date. One of the major things brining people into Libertarian philosophy are liberals offended by the drug war and all it entails.

Originally Posted by Vandeervecken

I personnally don't see any difference between Republicans and Democrats. They both answer to the same class of people. I was a Republican for 20 years. I voted for Reagan twice. Then I went Democrat. Then Libertarian for a short period. Now I am Green Party. If I do leave the Green's, it would be to go back to the Libertarians. Never again will I belong to the big two.

Billo_Really said:
I personnally don't see any difference between Republicans and Democrats. They both answer to the same class of people. I was a Republican for 20 years. I voted for Reagan twice. Then I went Democrat. Then Libertarian for a short period. Now I am Green Party. If I do leave the Green's, it would be to go back to the Libertarians. Never again will I belong to the big two.

Greens are a good party. They're probably the party that I associate myself most with.

Billo_Really said:

Both major parties are essentially statist. The only choice between them is which freedoms do you want to lose first, and on what do you want your money wasted. Essentially they are merely the left and right wing of the same party.

I can't vote green, as I am not a Luddite.

Vandeervecken said:
Both major parties are essentially statist. The only choice between them is which freedoms do you want to lose first, and on what do you want your money wasted. Essentially they are merely the left and right wing of the same party.

I can't vote green, as I am not a Luddite.

I don't know about that. As the Republican party is giving in to the big spending of the NeoCons, the democrats (in their childish fasion of, 'if the Republicans are for it, so we're against it') are starting to become more moderate economically. I mean, look at some of the most widely known, successful, democratic players such as Bill Clinton or Mark Warner. I'd hardly call them Libertarians, but at least they're for balanced budgets. I'd consider myself a social liberal and an economic moderate. I don't necessarily mind high taxes or corporate regulations, but I don't like defecites and I'm pretty pragmatic when it comes to growing the economy (with the exception of trickle down economics).

I get the sense that most Libertarians generally lean Republican when they're forced to choose, but I hope that changes.

As for the compass test. I've taken it once before, and I gotta say, it's pretty transparent. Sugarcoating those questions some might make it a little less obvious how you're being judged (not that I'm blaming anyone here, because I know it's just a random site in the internet, but still).

I think of the dems as the lesser of the two evils since they support a bunch of my ideas. However they are both pretty crappy. libertarians remind me too much of the repubs except more social liberal. Greens are good because they are the only ones that remember that we have a planet.

69226.jpg

Hole in Ozone layer

Greens are the watermelon party. Green on the outside, red on the inside. Another vieled attempt to insitute central economic planning under the guise of environemental concern.

The US has done a lot to mess up the environement, no doubt about it. You should check out how bad the soviets did, or the chinese are doing now.

Central planning will kill us before global warming does.

(not to mention the effect central planning already had on global warming anyway. Governments centrally planning large, expansive, and often unecessary highway systems resulting from pressure of and for the benefit of the auto industry.)

60-85% of fossil fuels use by the various developed countries is for transportation energy. Let me clue you in, GOVERNMNETS BUILD NEARLY ALL OF THE ROADS, and often outside of individual or capitalist interests (take as a whole, some capitalists does not mean all capitalists).

Originally posted by libertarian_knight
Greens are the watermelon party. Green on the outside, red on the inside.
Do you consider me a red-state guy? 'Cause I'm Green.

Billo_Really said:
Do you consider me a red-state guy? 'Cause I'm Green.

Not "red-state." the actually color i believe is refered to as "Commie-red."

Back
Top Bottom