• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where do you fit in the political typology?

Another one???

And I got, "Democratic Mainstay"!

Well, I did vote for Biden I suppose . . .

Voting for right wing operatves of the MIC will do that to your left wing credentials! :p

Great T Shirt!

You got a leather, too? ;)
A bud's shirt, but yes, everything but chaps.
Even better post!
Thank you!

How many different categories do we need before we admit everyone is independent? Other than what I call "club members," whose beliefs are agreed upon rather than independently formed, aren't we all just slightly liberal, or a little more than slightly conservative, with medium rare anarchists, and tri-colored libertarians and all the other manufactured political typologies?

I couldn't get past question #4, like MaryP said, but the array of typologies is kinda humorous. Ambivalent Right. I just gotta laugh.

Political parties are most definitely clubs, but in comparison, Democrats exhibit diverse membership and opinion while Republicans are more in lockstep. That would seem to imply Democrats are more independent in thought. Whether that's beneficial or not is debatable, from a political perspective, but it is certainly more honest.

Everyone is unique. I understand the need to belong, but I've always been independent.

Voting for right wing operatves of the MIC will do that to your left wing credentials! :p

"MIC"???

---

But yeah, I'm considering going back to my former 'Indie' status, as far as formal political party association (Dem-Repub). I think I might find it easier to hold my head up in a crowd!

As to my Social-Democracy lean, it's really not a bad public-policy identity IMO. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily jive with my personal identity.

I'm still blown away that you publicly identify as, 'Christian, Capitalist, Social-Democrat'.

You're the only other one, besides myself, that I've knowingly run into (not that I ask much!).
We are rare. I’ve had an unusual life (people tend to be blown away when I tell them my story) maybe that’s a part of it.

"MIC"???

---

But yeah, I'm considering going back to my former 'Indie' status, as far as formal political party association (Dem-Repub). I think I might find it easier to hold my head up in a crowd!

As to my Social-Democracy lean, it's really not a bad public-policy identity IMO. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily jive with my personal identity.
Sorry! Military Industrial Complex.

A bud's shirt, but yes, everything but chaps.

The fact that I was able to say "leather", without "jacket", gives you gravitas! :p

Yeah, long-term rider myself, until recently. Started out on dirt, as a kid, which is a great way to start-out IMO! Also broke the rule that claims,

"There's only two kinds of riders, those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall".

I never dropped a bike on the street. Probably because I did virtually every kind of drop, flip, crash, twist, and everything else I could do to try to kill myself on dirt! Still have good knees, too, despite those early kick-start days!

Thank you!

'Nada!

How many different categories do we need before we admit everyone is independent? Other than what I call "club members," whose beliefs are agreed upon rather than independently formed, aren't we all just slightly liberal, or a little more than slightly conservative, with medium rare anarchists, and tri-colored libertarians and all the other manufactured political typologies?

I couldn't get past question #4, like MaryP said, but the array of typologies is kinda humorous. Ambivalent Right. I just gotta laugh.

There's formal party membership, and there's lean. The two associations are done for different reasons. But with leans, I think we just want to be able to give others a glimpse of ourselves, without having to type-out a paragraph & a half!

Political parties are most definitely clubs, but in comparison, Democrats exhibit diverse membership and opinion while Republicans are more in lockstep. That would seem to imply Democrats are more independent in thought. Whether that's beneficial or not is debatable, from a political perspective, but it is certainly more honest.

After having been a cradle Dem, and deeply involved in ward politics on a transactional level, I became an Indie for a long period afterwards, when I moved-out of my old childhood neighborhood. I only very recently re-joined the Dems, in response to what I saw as the Dems standing up for Democratic principles under attack by Trump. In addition, part of the draw was the diverse membership & opinion. The raucous debate within, feels very much like Democracy in action!

Everyone is unique. I understand the need to belong, but I've always been independent.

That's not a bad place to be. I'm considering re-joining you.

We are rare. I’ve had an unusual life (people tend to be blown away when I tell them my story) maybe that’s a part of it.

Have you ever met another one of us? With those three qualities?

The closest I know are some fellow Catholics, who are Christian, Capitalist, and follow the Church's social principles, which often align with Social Democracy - but also have more Conservative public policy components in addition. So these individuals don't fully fit the 'Social Democracy' component of our trifecta.

Last edited:
Faith and flag conservatives are admitting to being fascists.

The whole thing calls to mind a quote often attributed to Sinclair Lewis: “When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

They also reject the religious rights of the First Amendment.

I was going to joke about your vanilla mainstream status but I took the test before that:

Your best fit is…​

Democratic Mainstays​

… along with 16% of the public​

Doh.

Haha!

But no way am I going, "Third Way"! I've soured on the Clintons, in particular HRC!

I was once a Democrat, and then a Republican.

Now I'm a skeptic regarding politics and I have zero use for Democrats and their extreme left, and the same goes for extreme righties.

Both parties are slammed full of cultists and Debate Politics is the perfect example to prove my point.

The fact that I was able to say "leather", without "jacket", gives you gravitas! :p

Yeah, long-term rider myself, until recently. Started out on dirt, as a kid, which is a great way to start-out IMO! Also broke the rule that claims,

"There's only two kinds of riders, those that have fallen, and those that are going to fall".

I never dropped a bike on the street. Probably because I did virtually every kind of drop, flip, crash, twist, and everything else I could do to try to kill myself on dirt! Still have good knees, too, despite those early kick-start days!
Been there. Put the dirtbike away at 21 and never looked back.
'Nada!

There's formal party membership, and there's lean. The two associations are done for different reasons. But with leans, I think we just want to be able to give others a glimpse of ourselves, without having to type-out a paragraph & a half!
I get that, but Ambivalent Right is pretty ambiguous without a sentence or two. Lol.

After having been a cradle Dem, and deeply involved in ward politics on a transactional level, I became an Indie for a long period afterwards, when I moved-out of my old childhood neighborhood. I only very recently re-joined the Dems, in response to what I saw as the Dems standing up for Democratic principles under attack by Trump. In addition, part of the draw was the diverse membership & opinion. The raucous debate within, feels very much like Democracy in action!
Agreed.

I've never been active, and I've voted NOTA for president as many times as I've selected a candidate.

In 2008 I voted for McCain because of his Vietnam service, experience and character. I didn't vote for Obama because I didn't know him and his lack of experience. I don't see any of that as political.

In 2020 I voted for Biden because of his experience, his character and because of the alternative.

Am I conservative or liberal based on those two elections? In both 2000 and 2004 I voted NOTA. Where does that fit on the political continuum?

Myself, I don't really fit into any category at all. Not just politics but general lifestyle. People think my hair is long because that's how I want it. "Why do you want long hair?" I reply, "Why don't you cut the hair on your arms?" Lol. My hair is long because I have no reason to cut it. Simple as that. Not a statement. Not a category.
That's not a bad place to be. I'm considering re-joining you.
Only place I can be. I like it. Maybe you never really left. ;)

"Ambivalent Right… along with 12% of the public."

Perhaps I should look on the bright side, the quiz could have come back... "Something is very wrong with you."

I was once a Democrat, and then a Republican.

Now I'm a skeptic regarding politics and I have zero use for Democrats and their extreme left, and the same goes for extreme righties.

Both parties are slammed full of cultists and Debate Politics is the perfect example to prove my point.
Is that because you are not an extremist? Do you even read your own posts or is it not extremist when you believe it? You are among the most partisan and angry on the forum.

Establishment Liberal

Is that because you are not an extremist? Do you even read your own posts or is it not extremist when you believe it? You are among the most partisan and angry on the forum.

I'm laughing 90% of the time and I rarely take much of politics seriously and never will.

I go by results.

Progressives often take the dumb shit "cop out" and use the word angry to describe anyone they disagree with because that how they are.

Have you ever met another one of us? With those three qualities?

The closest I know are some fellow Catholics, who are Christian, Capitalist, and follow the Church's social principles, which often align with Social Democracy - but also have more Conservative public policy components in addition. So these individuals don't fully fit the 'Social Democracy' component of our trifecta.
My fiancée is like this too.

The social gospel is still alive in urban churches and I see it as a more authentic form of Christianity focused on lifting people up and giving hope, which is what Jesus focused on.

Where do you fit in the political typology?​

Are you a Faith and Flag Conservative? Progressive Left? Or somewhere in between?

I stand virtually alone. A life long republican who is an devote anti-trumpist.
I see the left for what is it, pie in the sky do gooders.
I am a fiscal conservative but socially progressive. In other words, help the disadvantaged but pay for it with a balanced budget.
Hold folks accountable
For example, I think it unethical and even immoral to make kids pay for an education out of pocket. Business is who benefits, business should foot the bill.

Ambivalent Right​

On issues ranging from the size of the federal government to views about business, gender and race, Ambivalent Right hold many views that are largely consistent with core conservative values. Yet they also hold more moderate stances on several social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage, and they differ from some other segments of the GOP coalition in their more internationalist view of foreign policy and less restrictive stance on immigration.
Ambivalent Right are distinct from other Republican-oriented groups in their views of Donald Trump. While large majorities of each of the other Republican-oriented groups say they feel warmly toward Trump, Ambivalent Right are much less likely to say this.

They nailed it.

My fiancée is like this too.

Like us, you mean? Our three publicly displayed attributes?

The social gospel is still alive in urban churches and I see it as a more authentic form of Christianity focused on lifting people up and giving hope, which is what Jesus focused on.

Interesting.

My Faith background is steeped in relatively Conservative Catholicism, but I and my Parish were immersed deep in a crowded rough & tumble big-city immigrant-neighborhood.

I won't go into the differences in denominations, but I do believe those growing-up in tougher hard-scrabble urban neighborhoods see things a bit differently, including in social-conscience and empathy, which I will admit does express itself in one's Christianity.

Like us, you mean? Our three publicly displayed attributes?
Yes but she has a more progressive bent than me.
Interesting.

My Faith background is steeped in relatively Conservative Catholicism, but I and my Parish were immersed deep in a crowded rough & tumble big-city immigrant-neighborhood.

I won't go into the differences in denominations, but I do believe those growing-up in tougher hard-scrabble urban neighborhoods see things a bit differently, including in social-conscience and empathy, which I will admit does express itself in one's Christianity.
I would agree. Having lived a harder life, can express itself in compassion (but also can go the other way tragically) depending on the person.

I think for me though, the main reason I ended up here is just due to observation and watching people get hurt by how our society is set up.

It's nice to see one of these that at least isn't the usual Libertarian propaganda version, like the site has stickied.

Where do you fit in the political typology?​

Are you a Faith and Flag Conservative? Progressive Left? Or somewhere in between?

I couldn't get past the first question, since I think the current government size is about right, even if I don't fully agree with its spend priorities. So, I guess I failed the quiz.

Were the other questions similar binary choices? If so then I guess it's not a very sophisticated tool and I might as well not lose sleep over it.

Ambivalent Right​

Outsider left, but I found the quiz answers to be too limited. This probably proves that I am outsider left, though.

Back
Top Bottom