• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where did Syria get their Sarin?

I really have little reason to believe that Saddam transferred chemical weapons to Assad. The two regimes, despite being nearly identical in ideology, were not friendly with each other and had actually fought 12 years before the invasion.

I want to hear what you guys think because I have no idea.

I looked into this earlier when it first happened. Found an article that covered it pretty well and I'm sure you can find stuff with a google search. I think they were saying it came from a couple different sources: Egypt, Iraq, and possibly the USSR at least equipment for local production from them.

Syria has had an indigenous chemical weapons program for several decades.

That would depend on the year in which they got the technologies to produce it - they probably got them from multiple sources in different periods.

USSR is an obvious "choice", and I've seen some ME experts and journalists name France as a possible source too - unfortunately I can't independently validate their statements.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Considering you can make Sarin in your kitchen.. then most likely they made it themselves..

Considering you can make Sarin in your kitchen.. then most likely they made it themselves..
Whether or not that's true, the trick to some chemical and biological weapons isn't creating the raw active ingredient, but weaponizing the stuff. Anthrax exists all over the world in the soil. The stuff is not that hard to come by. But weaponized anthrax is a different matter.
Iirc, in re Iraq's sarin, at first they could produce sarin, but it had a shelf life of only weeks. It took time, expertise, and practice to create warheads which were composed of high quality pre-cursors to sarin-the gas being made on the fly so to speak.

I have not heard any reason yet to doubt question that Syria made it's own sarin.

Whether or not that's true, the trick to some chemical and biological weapons isn't creating the raw active ingredient, but weaponizing the stuff. Anthrax exists all over the world in the soil. The stuff is not that hard to come by. But weaponized anthrax is a different matter.
Iirc, in re Iraq's sarin, at first they could produce sarin, but it had a shelf life of only weeks. It took time, expertise, and practice to create warheads which were composed of high quality pre-cursors to sarin-the gas being made on the fly so to speak.

I have not heard any reason yet to doubt question that Syria made it's own sarin.

point is, it is relatively easy to make and Syria and Syrians certainly have the knowledge to weaponize it... when a crackpot in Japan can take an impure version of Sarin into a weapon.. then it would not be too hard for someone else to perfect the process.

I looked into this earlier when it first happened. Found an article that covered it pretty well and I'm sure you can find stuff with a google search. I think they were saying it came from a couple different sources: Egypt, Iraq, and possibly the USSR at least equipment for local production from them.

Yes, I was thinking it might have came from an old satellite nation.

Back
Top Bottom