• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where are all these taxes?

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
A lot of the rhetoric I'm hearing now is about taxes.

People are repeating over and over and OVER that there are all these new taxes and how it's just killing people.

Ok, so where are they? I want to see proof that new taxes have made a crippling tax situation for most people. I agree that there have been new taxes, but I want to see proof that it's "too much" as people have been claiming.

A lot of the rhetoric I'm hearing now is about taxes.

People are repeating over and over and OVER that there are all these new taxes and how it's just killing people.

Ok, so where are they? I want to see proof that new taxes have made a crippling tax situation for most people. I agree that there have been new taxes, but I want to see proof that it's "too much" as people have been claiming.

are you willing to pay the same rate on your next dollar that you want the rich to pay on theirs?

If not you have no business talking

Most of the new tax burden has been set on a delayed fuse. Some take effect beginning 2011. Others having to do with the new healthcare mandate will be further delayed. One could postulate that these delays have something to do with the November elections...

A lot of businesses and investors, however, are reacting early to news that taxes are going to go up. They're moving their money to tax havens instead of investments... this is almost certainly hurting the economy. Other businesses are planning to take a tax hit and are stepping back from new hires/expansions/raises/promotions/etc... that doesn't help either.

Incidentally, even though I make FAR less than the oft-spoken $250,000 line, I already know my taxes are going up in 2011, because the child tax credit is going down.

Last edited:
are you willing to pay the same rate on your next dollar that you want the rich to pay on theirs?

If the poor or the middle have an extra dollar to spend what do you think they are going to do? And If the wealthy have an extra dollar to spend what do you think they are going to do?

He was asking about new taxes, not differences in tax rates between brackets.

If the poor or the middle have an extra dollar to spend what do you think they are going to do? And If the wealthy have an extra dollar to spend what do you think they are going to do?

Not a valid argument to me.

If you want my tax rate to go up you should be willing to pay the same rate on your next dollar too.

He was asking about new taxes, not differences in tax rates between brackets.

Those of us who pay far more taxes actually understand the tax situation far better than those who do not

Those of us who pay far more taxes actually understand the tax situation far better than those who do not

What you are poor and paying more in your buying power than the rest of us?

What does it matter? This is Obama a far left wing liberal raising taxes.

Libs don't wan't to talk about Obama

I don't blame them

Nice diversion-try again

Why don't you try answering the question posed to you?

After all you claim to have the education and the know how to do that Mr. Ivy league.

Why don't you try answering the question posed to you?

After all you claim to have the education and the know how to do that Mr. Ivy league.

buying power is irrelevant.

if you buy a hamburger you pay the same price as I do because you get the same product

if you use an hour of my services-you pay 275 an hour just like some of the millionaires because the service is the same

if you use the same government services as I do you should pay the same fees

tht is the most objective definition of FAIR

Hoplite, don't worry, Turtle has no clue what he's talking about.

Yes, we know you think poor people are of inferior intelligence, are lazy, etc.

Hoplite, don't worry, Turtle has no clue what he's talking about.

Moderator's Warning:
If you have something useful and substantive to add to the discussion, do so. Posts that contribute nothing original, present no points of substance, and instead are purely to denigrate another poster may result in threadban or other infractions.

Yes, we know you think poor people are of inferior intelligence, are lazy, etc.

nope, poor people are uncompetitive compared to rich people--that can be for many reasons work ethic and intelligence are often major factors but not always.

I'd be happy to -- just as soon as my income is comparable. :lol:

that's silly. I still will pay much more than you but if you think I should pay 40% of the next dollar I make in taxes so should you

you should not be able to demand my tax rate increase while your's stays the same.

that's silly. I still will pay much more than you but if you think I should pay 40% of the next dollar I make in taxes so should you

If we taxed the most fortunate of us at the same rate that the least fortunate of us could afford, we wouldn't be able to keep the lights on at the White House, much less fund many of the functions of government that most Americans can agree are legitimate necessities.

If we taxed the most fortunate of us at the same rate that the least fortunate of us could afford, we wouldn't be able to keep the lights on at the White House, much less fund many of the functions of government that most Americans can agree are legitimate necessities.

wrong-we were able to do that long before we had progressive income taxes

if the poor and middle class had to pay the same rates as the upper bracket payers do, the poor and the middle class would be less likely to vote for spendthrift politicians

most of what the government does is designed to buy votes and its time those vote sellers start realizing what they get has to be paid for.

wrong-we were able to do that long before we had progressive income taxes

Ugh, okay, you want to split hairs we can split hairs. Yes, we absolutely could function as a nation the way that we did before the progressive income tax.

No, we could not function at our current level of military or technological superiority, or manage the highway system, or do a number of other things that most Americans would agree are legitimate necessities.

if the poor and middle class had to pay the same rates as the upper bracket payers do, the poor and the middle class would be less likely to vote for spendthrift politicians

That has a lot more to do with the fact that, for most people, taxes are dollars paid to the government by someone else before they even see their direct deposit -- withholding, in other words -- and a return check every April.

I think if we all had to do quarterlies (like I did when I was self-employed) the outlook on government spending would change very quickly.

most of what the government does is designed to buy votes and its time those vote sellers start realizing what they get has to be paid for.

Some politicians whore themselves to the many who have little, some politicians whore themselves to the few who have much.

Most politicians do both.

Back
Top Bottom