• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When You're a Colossal Dick for the Sake of Being a Colossal Dick

Charles P Pierce does have a way with words, especially so when he calls out the - shall I say, dickish behaviour of certain politicians.

House Republicans torpedoed a measure to honor a trailblazing Black judge in Florida because he once enforced the First Amendment.
One of the more under-examined facets of the modern American conservative movement is the tactic of being a colossal dick simply for the sake of being a colossal dick. (Some experts trace this phenomenon back to former Senator Rick Santorum.) The energy behind this tactic is very often the inherent structural racism that has charged American conservative politics ever since it allied itself with the remnants of American apartheid in the mid-1960s. It has been a long march, but recent events have made clear that the time of those remnants has come around at last. So American conservatives can be colossal dicks just to be colossal dicks.

On Tuesday, a proposal seemed to be sailing through the House of Representatives that would name a Florida federal courthouse after Joseph Hatchett, the first Black man to serve on that state’s supreme court. The measure was supported by the entire Florida congressional delegation, and it is the kind of legislation that House members don’t even have to be fully awake to support. But this is 2022, and there is absolutely nothing normal about the House Republican caucus. From the New York Times:
The NYT has ZERO credibility

I disagree with Pierce.

Republicans HONORED the judge by torpedoing the measure to honor him. It's what the phrase, "Badge of Honor", refers to - that it's good for the 'bad guys' to attack you. As FDR said, "I welcome their hatred." What better honor than for those people to attack you?

No argument with that, but it really doesn't have any bearing on the primary issue of how and why some right wing stooge could torpedo an otherwise simple building naming resolution based upon being butt hurt about a 25 year old decision he disagreed with.

Just stop. We don't need to honor anyone with their name on a building.

20 years from now we'll find out he was having sex with animals.

I await your explanation for why Congress should spend any time on this whatsoever.
Why should congress spend any time whatsoever on anything that they do?
Could it be because our system has been set up that certain things are under their purview, and only their purview? And this is one of them.
If you don't like the fact that congress has the responsibility for passing resolutions as to what to name federal institutions/buildings, then by all means lobby to get that changed. Until then, it is part of their freaking job! Just because you may want congress to only focus on the issues you find important really doesn't matter.

And as has been pointed out, if you want to start a thread railing against the obscure issues congress has to vote on, knock yourself out. That isn't this thread.

Mentioning the New York Times when the link is to Esquire magazine's website does appear to show your unwillingness to read words that disagree with your beliefs.

Why bother to respond when you ain't got a clue.
The op quoted the nyt as well as esquire and they are both trash.

So close to burning my GOP card and it makes me very sad. This was not the actions of my party when I joined in 1980. We had no use for people like MTG, Geatz, Cruz or anyone named Trump and we knew what patriotism was and who was a patriot and you earned that title by your words and deeds. NOT BECAUSE YOU BELONGED TO A POLITICAL PARTY.

Charles P Pierce does have a way with words, especially so when he calls out the - shall I say, dickish behaviour of certain politicians.

House Republicans torpedoed a measure to honor a trailblazing Black judge in Florida because he once enforced the First Amendment.
One of the more under-examined facets of the modern American conservative movement is the tactic of being a colossal dick simply for the sake of being a colossal dick. (Some experts trace this phenomenon back to former Senator Rick Santorum.) The energy behind this tactic is very often the inherent structural racism that has charged American conservative politics ever since it allied itself with the remnants of American apartheid in the mid-1960s. It has been a long march, but recent events have made clear that the time of those remnants has come around at last. So American conservatives can be colossal dicks just to be colossal dicks.

On Tuesday, a proposal seemed to be sailing through the House of Representatives that would name a Florida federal courthouse after Joseph Hatchett, the first Black man to serve on that state’s supreme court. The measure was supported by the entire Florida congressional delegation, and it is the kind of legislation that House members don’t even have to be fully awake to support. But this is 2022, and there is absolutely nothing normal about the House Republican caucus. From the New York Times:
The fact that the republican co-sponsor said "I don't know" when asked why he all the sudden changed support, shows just how tightly bound the GOP is to one source that is controlling them. They are ordered to act a certain way instantly and do without any question. Whose pulling those chains I wonder?

The Republicans are absolutely in a race to see how low they can go.

No, I think it’s stupid that the House is only in session for 112 days and they’re spending calories trying to figure out what to name a courthouse in Florida. Here’s an idea. They should call it Federal Courthouse and move on to what they were actually elected to do. NEXT.
Interesting way to move the goal posts.... A+!

You should probably stop while you are behind. Each of your posts seems dumber than the last.
I'm confident we're nowhere near peak dumb.
The thread is about progressive wines about something nobody was elected to spend time on in the first place. Stop pretending you care what a courthouse in Florida is named. You people would burn it down anyway given the chance.
You're making a great effort, though!

No, I think it’s stupid that the House is only in session for 112 days and they’re spending calories trying to figure out what to name a courthouse in Florida. Here’s an idea. They should call it Federal Courthouse and move on to what they were actually elected to do. NEXT.
Wait till you find out they've been doing this for many decades, often dozens of times per Congress, naming all kinds of things in the kind of routine votes no one notices, but might be important to people back home to honor people who did a good job serving their country!

The only reason you know about this one was a bunch of petulant assholes decided to be petulant assholes, cause they're assholes.

Not to worry!

There will be another vote.

And he will be honored.

Wait till you find out they've been doing this for many decades, often dozens of times per Congress, naming all kinds of things in the kind of routine votes no one notices, but might be important to people back home to honor people who did a good job serving their country!

The only reason you know about this one was a bunch of petulant assholes decided to be petulant assholes, cause they're assholes.
I’m fully aware that Congress is basically a scam. I know about this one because they wasted a bunch of time on a stupid task and some people want to act like the sky is falling over stupid legislation they don’t actually care about.

I feel for Justice Joseph Hatchett for possibly not having a courthouse named after him Too bad, so sad that's how race politics goes. You win a few, you lose a few.
If it was "race politics" then their actions are even more egregious since it was trying to be hidden under the cloth of religious intolerance.

AKA, Republicans pretty much all the time. Colossal dicks because their base are colossal dicks

I’m fully aware that Congress is basically a scam. I know about this one because they wasted a bunch of time on a stupid task and some people want to act like the sky is falling over stupid legislation they don’t actually care about.
I always love it when people respond many times in a thread about.....stuff they tell us over and over they don't care about!!! CLASSIC!! And the strawman is another classic! No one is acting like "the sky is falling."

Whine some more about Congress naming some buildings. You're on a roll!

I always love it when people respond many times in a thread about.....stuff they tell us over and over they don't care about!!! CLASSIC!! And the strawman is another classic! No one is acting like "the sky is falling."

Whine some more about Congress naming some buildings. You're on a roll!
And more and more of them are being found to have committed voter fraud! :rolleyes: They are the scum of the earth.

Whenever I see a "just because. . ." story I'd bet there is way more to the story.
When they asked some of the GOPers right after the vote including those who supported the bill beforehand why they voted no, many said they did not know but were told to vote against it. Many had already had voted yeah and had to change their vote. All I can say is BAAAAAAH, the GOP members are sheep. The new member who got them to vote against the bill did so because the judge has voted against prayer in school on a case. He had to do so as that was the precedent set by SCOTUS and judges at his level were required to follow precedent. Of course the stupids in the GOP did not know this as most are uneducated about our government and the constitution.

The thread is about progressive wines about something nobody was elected to spend time on in the first place. Stop pretending you care what a courthouse in Florida is named. You people would burn it down anyway given the chance.
No, this is about a bunch of stupids who follow and do what they are told, even when they have no idea of WHY. Several of the GOPers said as much. They had no idea why they were told to vote no, but voted no anyway, including those who supported the bill.

Whenever I see a "just because. . ." story I'd bet there is way more to the story.
"Why did you vote against your own measure?"
"I don't know."

No, this is about a bunch of stupids who follow and do what they are told, even when they have no idea of WHY. Several of the GOPers said as much. They had no idea why they were told to vote no, but voted no anyway, including those who supported the bill.
And why do you care what a federal courthouse in Florida is named?

Back
Top Bottom