• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When you screw up.....

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
...do you apologize or do you act like nothing happened? Or...do you pretend it's someone else's problem?

It depends on what it is. If I make a mistake but catch it before anyone else does and get it corrected before there are any consequences then it's unlikely that anyone else will ever know. I'll also cop to the occasional "Sorry, it looks like that went to my spam folder". Overall though, if there is an issue I fully disclose what's going on and why it is the way it is.

If it becomes out of my hands, I usually just disassociate from it. But, if it's something I am actively responsible for, I apologize incessantly.

Thread: When you screw up.....

...do you apologize or do you act like nothing happened? Or...do you pretend it's someone else's problem?
------------------

Well, I've never screwed up.....but if, somehow, it happened, I'd admit it, say "Ooops", and move on.
No big deal.
Everybody screws up.....except me.

I always apologize sincerely. I hate when people are too proud or too stupid to apologize. I have even seen some just completely lie about what they did just so they didn't have to admit they made a mistake.

i'll let you know when it happens

own the mistake [the ONLY exception is where doing so will unnecessarily hurt another]
where it is possible, try to fashion a correction and effect it
character is found by the way one acts when there is no one watching

Sometimes I lie about it just to avoid going ten rounds with someone that will not end well. I can be pretty blunt so if it will hurt someone's feelings I care about, I consider a lie diplomacy :)

I do apologize pretty regularly, especially to employees. My most valued employee and I are about as candid, blunt, short, or no-nonsense with each other as it comes. Sometimes if I am doing several things at once, I will respond to others the way I would to her and I usually realize about a minute too late and have to go track them down and apologize so it does not fester. Happened yesterday when I had two calls going at once while trying to type something and one of my more sensitive employees came in and I was pretty short with her. The funny thing was my right hand gal said "Well, you never apologize to me." and I responded "Does the woman who abruptly hangs up on me 5 times a day as soon as I finish a sentence really want me to waste her time with icky emotions?" She paused a second and said "No. You have a point" and went back to what she was doing. She is totally a Sheldon and I love her for it.

I apologize. Right up front. Admit to my error or however the incident may be characterized. I just have to. Even if someone doesn't know something happened, I confess.

I apologize. Right up front. Admit to my error or however the incident may be characterized. I just have to. Even if someone doesn't know it happened, I confess.

I'm the same way. It's not easy to do, but it's something that my folks instilled in me.

What I get tired of, are people that turn their error around on someone else. Annoying as hell.

I'm the same way. It's not easy to do, but it's something that my folks instilled in me.

What I get tired of, are people that turn their error around on someone else. Annoying as hell.

I think it came from my mom as well. If it's something someone knows, I just want to make the person feel better. The apology is for them more than me.

Oh, my gosh. I cannot stand that. It's more than annoying, it's cowardly. I always think, just own up to it already. Whatever the situation and what I think of them, it's always made worse by a squirming worm like that. :(

I apologize. Right up front. Admit to my error or however the incident may be characterized. I just have to. Even if someone doesn't know something happened, I confess.

That's great but, from a professional standpoint, what I want more than an apology is satisfaction of whatever issue resulted in the error or omission. If, for example, you're my server and you forgot part of my order I may appreciate the apology but I'll appreciate it a lot more if it comes with my food. If there is one thing that sticks in my craw more than anything else it's apologies without resolution.

That's great but, from a professional standpoint, what I want more than an apology is satisfaction of whatever issue resulted in the error or omission. If, for example, you're my server and you forgot part of my order I may appreciate the apology but I'll appreciate it a lot more if it comes with my food. If there is one thing that sticks in my craw more than anything else it's apologies without resolution.

And I agree. This would apply to work situations, friend situations and romance situations.

Absolutely! An apology without explanation, assurances, steps to make sure it won't happen again, is empty. That's the part that is for me. I don't want to screw up again. :)

Back
Top Bottom