• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When you move - do you hire movers or do it yourself?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My family always surprises me. . . our entire childhood we moved moved moved and always did it ourselves to save money.

But my sisters always hire movers. They'll scrimp for endless months just to cover the costs. But then when they arrive they endlessly complain about the damaged and broken items that didn't make it.

I don't get it - why spend that much money just to deal with people ruining your things? I guess I just turned out differently - I hate moving but not enough to make others do it.

what about you? Pay movers or do it yourself?

My family always surprises me. . . our entire childhood we moved moved moved and always did it ourselves to save money.

But my sisters always hire movers. They'll scrimp for endless months just to cover the costs. But then when they arrive they endlessly complain about the damaged and broken items that didn't make it.

I don't get it - why spend that much money just to deal with people ruining your things? I guess I just turned out differently - I hate moving but not enough to make others do it.

what about you? Pay movers or do it yourself?

Mostly do-it-yourself. The last time time I moved, though, it was 300 miles and I waited to buy my home 'til I'd relocated. (From Door County, Wisconsin to the Chicago area.) Had a huge "estate sale" that I organized myself -- sold everything but personal stuff and electronics. With the $8,000 I got, I furnished my new home when I bought it. Soooo much easier. Hired a couple of guys to load up the small storage thingie I'd rented for electronics, etc. and drive it to my new house. That cost about $300. Smartest thing I ever did.

I'm about to have to move as soon as we close on a house (looking to buy within the next two months) and I'll be moving everything myself. I'm moving from a small furnished apartment so I don't have all that much to move besides personal things because none of the furniture is mine and I'll be moving all of my fiance's stuff out of her parents house, which should only consist of her bedroom set which isn't overly heavy. Other than that were gonna have to buy new stuff so I see no point in hiring somebody when i can do it myself with no problems.

mostly myself, but as the beatles said "i get by with a little help from my friends"

*lol*

Oh - hadn't thought of that! I guess physically doing things for many people is thoroughly impossible or downright annoying. I, however, detested having people help me load/unload - I'd rather rent the truck for an extra day and just do it all by myself. My husband's the same way - we just don't like people I guess :)

Years ago we lived in an upstairs apartment - I was late home from work and when I showed up my husband was muscling the couch down the stairs by himself and it got stuck :rofl

It was funny to see - but heck - he still go it in there solo!

I have considerably more money than muscles.

Fortunately, when I loaded from Michigan I had friends, and when I unloaded in Alabama I had family.

Couple pizzas and a case of beer is cheaper than a professional crew.

I do it myself. And, having moved... A ****ING LOT... so that's saying something. When I moved out of my ex's apt in DC, I moved everything - including my dressers - by myself while he sat on the couch. Moved them in by myself for that matter. LOL

I enlisted my father to help me when I moved to Cali in '08. He helped load and unload the Uhaul, but I packed everything. When I moved back across the country, I did use a mover but not for packing. I just used them to actually MOVE the ****. I didn't want to drive a Uhaul across the country, and the cost was really not much more using them vs driving a Uhaul myself. I packed everything up, he came and we packed it into his truck, and he met me in WV several days later.

But no way in hell would I use movers to pack my **** up. And of all the times I've moved (dozens), I've only used movers once to even drive my ****.

I just prefer doing stuff myself. Then if something goes wrong, I have no one else to blame but me. I know where everything is, I know where it's all packed, I know how it's loaded, etc, etc. I'd rather not involve others to screw it all up if I can avoid it. ;)

Yah, I don't think I would help my ex move fresh off of a break-up either. The "not helping you move in" thing was pretty bunk though.

Yah, I don't think I would help my ex move fresh off of a break-up either. The "not helping you move in" thing was pretty bunk though.
I was moving out as HIS request. He avoided helping me because he felt guilty about treating me like ****, the ****ing bastard. His excuse was, "I don't feel good". :roll:

He felt guilty about treating you like crap so he kicked you out?

Interesting. I would think things like "I'm sorry" and "I'll try harder" would work more...but hey, I'm the single guy. What do I know?

He felt guilty about treating you like crap so he kicked you out?

Interesting. I would think things like "I'm sorry" and "I'll try harder" would work more...but hey, I'm the single guy. What do I know?

I could go into detail, but it's way OT. LOL

I usually just get my family and friends to help BUT if I ever move again? I am gonna pay to have people do whole thing for me-moving and unpacking.

I have considerably more money than muscles.

Fortunately, when I loaded from Michigan I had friends, and when I unloaded in Alabama I had family.

Couple pizzas and a case of beer is cheaper than a professional crew.

You got by with a single case of beer? I usually have to comp a keg. LOL

Mostly do-it-yourself. The last time time I moved, though, it was 300 miles and I waited to buy my home 'til I'd relocated. (From Door County, Wisconsin to the Chicago area.) Had a huge "estate sale" that I organized myself -- sold everything but personal stuff and electronics. With the $8,000 I got, I furnished my new home when I bought it. Soooo much easier. Hired a couple of guys to load up the small storage thingie I'd rented for electronics, etc. and drive it to my new house. That cost about $300. Smartest thing I ever did.

12 years in the Navy, we moved a lot, but we didn't have much and the Navy moved us. After that, tho, it was all on us. Selling off your excess is the way to go. We tend to accumulate too much crap anyway. but I do know people with valuable antique furniture and they pay a FORTUNE to move. The only antique in my house is me....

Back
Top Bottom