• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When you don't fill out your census - they'll come knocking - on your neighbors door

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yep . . . today I had to discuss the neighbor's house with a census worker because my neighbors didn't fill it out/turn it in and they haven't been answering the door.

I was thoroughly annoyed.

On top of that - they wanted to know *when* the home became occupied because it was listed as being vacant.

I had no clue.
Yep - I don't know at what point the house became "occupied" because for the last year they've had people over there working on it almost every day . . . :shrug: . . I've never even met my new neighbors and I don't know at which point they really moved in - I never saw a moving truck.

Re: When you don't fill out your census - they'll come knocking - on your neighbors d

You might be further frustrated to know that the Census Takers (at least in the Chicago area) make $18.00/hour plus mileage. Must be nice, eh?

Have a friend who did it -- I think she's done now. But she said the worst offenders in the 50 or so she had were cops. They wouldn't answer the door -- or DID answer and told her off. I can't figure out why. Cops??

Last edited:
Re: When you don't fill out your census - they'll come knocking - on your neighbors d

LOL!

Well - He baked out there in the heat, dripping sweat . . . odd, I didn't find it hot at all in the sun. So maybe that $18.00/hr will buy him a cooler and some bottled water.

That also explains why he said he "went by their house several times recently" . . . .yet only today came to me when he saw me outside. I am a Stay at Home Mom - I'm ALWAYS here.

Last edited:

Yeah, that WOULD explain it. The harder it is to reach people, the more money they make. Ooops!!!!!! Am I sounding Conservative?? Hahahaha!!!

Not to forget that we live in the middle of NO WHERE - I doubt, by the looks of his very nice car, that he was living *locally* - surely venturing out this way proved great for the wallet.

:lamo

How quick the far-rightie teabaggers run from the constitution when it's not convenient... (or they just haven't read it all)

Aunt Spiker, Maggie... Do you know why we take a census every 10 years?

How quick the far-rightie teabaggers run from the constitution when it's not convenient... (or they just haven't read it all)

something to do with government control and obamas fault.

@ Hazelnut -- Assuming Spud's not right, I'll bite. Hahaha!!

Yep . . . today I had to discuss the neighbor's house with a census worker because my neighbors didn't fill it out/turn it in and they haven't been answering the door.

I was thoroughly annoyed.

On top of that - they wanted to know *when* the home became occupied because it was listed as being vacant.

I had no clue.
Yep - I don't know at what point the house became "occupied" because for the last year they've had people over there working on it almost every day . . . :shrug: . . I've never even met my new neighbors and I don't know at which point they really moved in - I never saw a moving truck.

Yea those morons lost my information multiple times, coming to my house when I'm sleeping(I work at night).

Next census, those jackasses can get bent.

Yes, I know why we have the census.

I filled out mine and sent it in immediately after I received it - like a good citizen should do. Unlike my neighbors who decided they wanted to dodge it, eventually leaving it up to me to deal with it *for* them.

<--- Does not like it when people dodge their responsibilities.

I actually posted this because a month or so ago someone posted "what would they do if I don't fill out the census" . . . and here, he has an answer - someone, at some point, will have to answer *for you*

Blame the people who did not respond to the census as is their constitutional duty.

Blame the people who did not respond to the census as is their constitutional duty.

Absolutely!

Funny thing. I always thought the census was more random because in all of my adult life, I'd never gotten a form or talked to a census person until one time a couple of years ago. And then not again until this year. I didn't realize until recently that I guess every adult is supposed to fill out a form or something? **** if I know. I guess they've just never been able to keep up with me. ROFL

I had to give info about my neighbor too. But the census guy apparently hung out with my dog while he waited for me and my neighbors to get home, cause he said my dog was his "buddy" and he gave him water and treats and played with him. :lol:

Yes, I know why we have the census.

I filled out mine and sent it in immediately after I received it - like a good citizen should do. Unlike my neighbors who decided they wanted to dodge it, eventually leaving it up to me to deal with it *for* them.

<--- Does not like it when people dodge their responsibilities.

I actually posted this because a month or so ago someone posted "what would they do if I don't fill out the census" . . . and here, he has an answer - someone, at some point, will have to answer *for you*

The only thing they Constitutionally need to know is how many people live in the house.

The problem is they ASK far far and away more on those damn forms.

Why did you bother talking to the Census taker? It isn't your problem. You could have just shrugged and shut the door and not been bothered.

The only thing they Constitutionally need to know is how many people live in the house.

The problem is they ASK far far and away more on those damn forms.

Why did you bother talking to the Census taker? It isn't your problem. You could have just shrugged and shut the door and not been bothered.

Because when people stop off out in the middle of no where, here, they usual are just asking for directions to the innerstate and I'm not a rude prat to people I don't know in a face-to-face situation.

:shrug:

Because when people stop off out in the middle of no where, here, they usual are just asking for directions to the innerstate and I'm not a rude prat to people I don't know in a face-to-face situation.

:shrug:

No need to be rude. I would have said something like "Sorry, can't help you... bye now." and gone about my business. To my mind that is being very polite to someone who wants to ask me nosy questions about my neighbor on behalf of the goobermint. :mrgreen:

No need to be rude. I would have said something like "Sorry, can't help you... bye now." and gone about my business. To my mind that is being very polite to someone who wants to ask me nosy questions about my neighbor on behalf of the goobermint. :mrgreen:

LOL
I'll keep that in mind in 10 years :)

LOL
I'll keep that in mind in 10 years :)

If you agree with Goshin that the :) Goobermint :) only has the authorization to ask about number of people, You could instead say "I only have the time and inclination to answer one question for you: the number of people that live there. It is ____. Now, good day to you."

If you agree with Goshin that the :) Goobermint :) only has the authorization to ask about number of people, You could instead say "I only have the time and inclination to answer one question for you: the number of people that live there. It is ____. Now, good day to you."

He didn't ask "how many" or "what race/gender" or anything that was actually on the census - just if the house was occupied at a certain date. . which I thought was more along the lines of a county tax assesors need to know rather than the gov.

And I didn't know, so I didn't really help him even though I gave him my time - I didn't know when they moved in ('cause I'm either a really good neighbor and leave people's business alone - or a crappy one who doesn't pay the least bit of attention) and I honestly don't know how many people live there - I've seen an upwards of 5 vehicles there . . . :shrug: I *think* there's a couple who lives there but I'm not sure. . . all I know is that whoever lives there has a dog that gets into my yard to **** . . . and they drink alot and let their trash drift across the street onto my property.

:rofl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom