• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When you click "like" what are the main things that move you to do so?

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The threat title question is all I'm asking. There's no other way to put it.

Two things

Either I agree with the post nearly in full and/or the post was very well written and makes a strong valid point even if I disagree with it.

Other times it just made me laugh (in appropriate threads of course)

Last edited:
My own primary reasons are:
  • The post reflects literary or intellectual trenchance.
  • It's funny.
  • In my own threads, it directly and clearly answers/address the thread topic and is dictionally unequivocal.
  • It introduces a point that advances the discussion with regard to the thread's central theme(s) as presented in the OP.

A good laugh is most likely to get a like. Otherwise, it is someone making a surprising point. I don't like much though, not because I don't like posts, I just usually don't think about it.

Two things

Either I agree with the post nearly in full and/or the post was very well written and makes a strong valid point even if I disagree with it.

The fact of my having just "liked" a post that I preponderantly disagree with is what inspired me to create this thread.

When I clicked "like," I thought: "This guy's gonna see the "like" and then he's going to read my response and wonder why I liked his remarks with which I clearly don't concur.

I don't know about "THREAT" titles but assuming that was a typo (we all make 'em) I'm going with thread title.
I'm not important enough to threaten, I'm just a swarthy lil ole fuzzball!

I always like it when forums offer a choice of affirmations, you know, Like, Funny, Agree, Thread Winner, etc.
This forum doesn't offer that, nor does it offer a way to score member's overall status, but oh well.

So yeah, I might click LIKE just because I chuckled, or chuckled and agreed, or downright LOVED what the person had to say...or even if I disagreed but thought it was well said anyway.

Most of the time I LIKE a post if I am just in general agreement with much of what the person is saying.

Two things

That sums it up for me as well. A well written argument for either side and/or excellent use of humor, irony, hyperbole or I just friggin' LIKE it.

A humorous post gets a "like".
A post that makes a cogent point gets a "like".
Since I'm not around here a lot, something posted in a thread that says exactly what I would have said, gets a "like".
I would guess 75% of my "likes" go to the posts that make me laugh.
I'm just here to have fun.;)

1) I want them to know that I looked at it.

2) I think the post is one of value, either witty, funny, smart or well said (Great use of English!).

3) I agree with the idea

in this order.

I don't know about "THREAT" titles but assuming that was a typo (we all make 'em) I'm going with thread title.
I'm not important enough to threaten, I'm just a swarthy lil ole fuzzball!

I always like it when forums offer a choice of affirmations, you know, Like, Funny, Agree, Thread Winner, etc.
This forum doesn't offer that, nor does it offer a way to score member's overall status, but oh well.

So yeah, I might click LIKE just because I chuckled, or chuckled and agreed, or downright LOVED what the person had to say...or even if I disagreed but thought it was well said anyway.

Most of the time I LIKE a post if I am just in general agreement with much of what the person is saying.

It is a typo....I make lots of them. LOL

I like sarcasm, humor, in depth analysis, and signs that the writer has not been overwhelmed by MSM. I say sincerely that everday I see people repeating an obvious twisted narrative with belief that would make a preacher proud. I like to see people that can and do "think." No repetition when they analyze.
/

I like a post that has some meat to it and is grounded in a reality worth reading. I totally cant stand “drive by’s”, thread crap, thread hijack, bar talk pop-off’s, and comments a poster just has to blurt out due to lack of control.

I will like a post that I fundamentally disagree with if it is well-written, thoughtfully presented, supported by researched links that actually do support the points the OP made.

Also, if someone makes me lol!

And of course, if someone writes something I agree with wholeheartedly, and wish that I'd written myself! :lol:

It signifies two meanings for me:

1. I agree with (at least) most of a poster's comments.

2. I just wish to thank him/her for the respectful comments (even if I do not necessarily agree). I use this one frequently as a common courtesy.

I like posts that make me laugh and posts that make me think. I like pretty much every thoughtful or kind reply to me. And if I post a thread I will like every on topic initial post someone makes in it, at least.

But based on my likes given/likes received ratio, I seem to be on the more stingy half of the regular members.

Tell the truth; how many here feel obligated to return likes of those posters who have “liked” their post?

How many withhold likes so as not to be seen as a “guilt by association” poster?

Something accurate spiced with cleaver or funny.

I'm so social media deficient, that I didn't even really pay attention to 'likes' in forums until less than a year ago. I never even paid attention to the 'notifications' at the top of the screen til then. I just finally figured out how to put photos and YouTube videos onto my posts and threads maybe 2 weeks ago! Prior to that, I only knew how to post links!

I have 2 good reasons and 1 silly reason for 'liking' other peoples' posts:
1. I agree with the subject matter
2. It's funny
3. The poster has 'liked' my posts before, so I may feel obligated to return the favor! Lol

I like pressing the like button. It makes me happy. :mrgreen:

Tell the truth; how many here feel obligated to return likes of those posters who have “liked” their post?

How many withhold likes so as not to be seen as a “guilt by association” poster?

Your whole post was absolutely terrible, but I felt I owed you a like, so..... Lol. Just kidding. I just posted the exact same sentiment as to your 1st point. If I feel the person liked some of my posts, and if I remember it, I'll give a like just to repay the perceived 'debt'. . To the 2nd point, If a person ever posts something that I agree with, but it's too awful to agree with, I'd instantly question why I'd agree to such a thing. But if the post was accurate, and it was a perfectly valid and reasonable point in a sane world, but wasn't deemed 'politically correct' in this anti-dissent atmosphere, I'd be even more motivated to like it!

I don't care. I like to give likes. Don't know exactly why, I just do.

My own primary reasons are:
  • The post reflects literary or intellectual trenchance.
  • It's funny.
  • In my own threads, it directly and clearly answers/address the thread topic and is dictionally unequivocal.
  • It introduces a point that advances the discussion with regard to the thread's central theme(s) as presented in the OP.

Your reasons are more astute and insightful than mine, and that enrages me! But I owed you a like, so there you go..... Lol

Your reasons are more astute and insightful than mine, and that enrages me! But I owed you a like, so there you go..... Lol

Reasons?!? Why do we need those? Just press the like button. It calls to you. Its like pressing the big red one you shouldn't but really want to anyhow, without the all the inconvenient and somewhat dire consequence.

Back
Top Bottom