• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When woke ideology means it's okay to embarrass your students

NatMorton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This teacher should be fired, and in a rationally run school system that had to earn its students enrollment, they would be. What will actually happen here is anyone's guess.

"Woke" just means being enlightened to the existence of and need to fight racism and other injustices in society; a term born long ago.

It's deliberately perverse to use it as an insult while only ever using it in reference to individual isolated episodes. I know what the people who do it would say if Florida Man or Shithole'sippi Man were present it as people on the right. So there's also that.

This teacher should be fired, and in a rationally run school system that had to earn its students enrollment, they would be. What will actually happen here is anyone's guess.

And some so-called "teacher" thought this would be a great plan?

"Woke" just means being enlightened to the existence of and need to fight racism and other injustices in society; a term born long ago.

It's deliberately perverse to use it as an insult while only ever using it in reference to individual isolated episodes. I know what the people who do it would say if Florida Man or Shithole'sippi Man were present it as people on the right. So there's also that.

I'd rather be "woke" than asleep.

I dont have a problem with illustrating that some people have an inherent social advantage and then using that ideas as a way to move forward tolevel the social playing field for the benefit of all. They are not trying to insult people but to make obvious the differences.

I dont have a problem with illustrating that some people have an inherent social advantage and then using that ideas as a way to move forward tolevel the social playing field for the benefit of all. They are not trying to insult people but to make obvious the differences.
To bad we never had a black president then, this is just an excuse and a bad one at that, to play the victim.

More indoctrination by the left.

It’s important to teach students that they will likely be judged by the socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation and ethnicity of other family members (even if they are deceased) rather than the content of their own character by government institutions and their public employees. The best way to teach bigotry is to intentionally engage in it. ;)

To bad we never had a black president then, this is just an excuse and a bad one at that, to play the victim.

More indoctrination by the left.
What is that supposed to mean? Having one black POTUS does not change the fact. He was an exception to the rule. Racism and economic disadvantage didn't vanish because B. Hussain Obama was elected. All of the problems are not just w black v white. There is a huge gap of those who were born rich v. middle class and poor, of all colors, even white people.

What is that supposed to mean? Having one black POTUS does not change the fact. He was an exception to the rule. Racism and economic disadvantage didn't vanish because B. Hussain Obama was elected. All of the problems are not just w black v white. There is a huge gap of those who were born rich v. middle class and poor, of all colors, even white people.
So Elon musk was born rich?, how about Bill gates, Jeff Bezos?

I always said anyone could be a millionaire if they wanted, while I was partying in the 90s Elon was busting his butt learning computer language

This blunder by the left has been a godsend. Lots of exercises about "equity", and their Black students aren't doing any better. Meanwhile, parents see this garbage, get fired up, and put Youngkin in office.

I'd like to see the left embrace a "Stand and Deliver" type stance with minorities (as they do with whites or their own children), but I suppose segregating students by race with equity exercises is the second best thing (parents find out, then vote republican).

I suppose it may mean that to the uninformed or to the willfully ignorant.

^^^ Politics before students.

You are all caught up in libsoftiktok, it seems. What are you upset about today? You're 7 years too late.

White privilege is embarrassing. That's why we must deny it.

Now, back to the class room recreation of the Middle Passage. Black kids, lie down!

An exception? He was voted into office by an electorate that was 75% white, twice. Today we have a VP who is black. We have have two blacks sitting on the Supreme Court. In the last twenty years we've had blacks be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, US National Security Advisor, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security, Attorney General, Ambassador to the UN, Senators, House Reps, Federal judges, Governors, and on it goes. None of this would have been possible 70 years ago.

^^^ Politics before students.
Its not political. Its addressing a social problem by highlighting it in that way that students likely never understood. To fix a problem first you need to admit/understand that it exists.

What is your problem with teaching about social inequality? Are we just supposed to ignore that it exists? Do you also not want to teach about history?

An exception? He was voted into office by an electorate that was 75% white, twice. Today we have a VP who is black. We have have two blacks sitting on the Supreme Court. In the last twenty years we've had blacks be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, US National Security Advisor, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security, Attorney General, Ambassador to the UN, Senators, House Reps, Federal judges, Governors, and on it goes. None of this would have been possible 70 years ago.
That doesn't mean that there isn't serious a racial problem in the US. The fact that you want to ignore it or refuse to address those racial problems tells me all that I n need to know about your support of racism.

Roberts, an assistant professor and co-author, Michael Rizzo, a postdoctoral fellow at New York University and the Beyond Conflict Innovation Lab, write that “just as citizens of capitalistic societies reinforce capitalism, whether they identify as capitalist or not, and whether they want to or not, citizens of racist societies reinforce racism, whether they identify as racist or not, and whether they want to or not.”

After examining research on racism from psychology, the social sciences and the humanities, the researchers argue that American racism systematically advantages White Americans and disadvantages Americans of color – but that it does not have to. It all starts with awareness, they contend.

“Many people, especially White people, underestimate the depths of racism,” Rizzo said. “A lot of attention is rightfully put on the recent murders of Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd and far too many others. But people need to understand that those horrific events are a consequence of a larger system. We want readers to walk away with a better understanding of how that system works.”

Its not political. Its addressing a social problem by highlighting it in that way that students likely never understood. To fix a problem first you need to admit/understand that it exists.

What is your problem with teaching abiout social inequality? Are we just supposed to ignore that it exists? Do you also not want to teach about history?
You don't think there's another way to teach that lesson without asking what could be embarrassing questions of child in an open classroom?

Please.

We had a teacher that use to spank the shit outta some kids.

And some so-called "teacher" thought this would be a great plan?
Think that teacher is a liberal? Do you think they took a good amount of time to set up this exercise by studying history and specifice examples related to the exercise? Do you think they sent home a notice to parents explaining the exercise and how it would be run as well as the goals of this learning strategy?

Back
Top Bottom