• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When will the Southern Poverty Law Center take responsibility sponsoring hate crime?

Re: When will the Southern Poverty Law Center take responsibility sponsoring hate cri

According to conservatives. And let us be honest, they aren't the most objective people out there on this subject IMHO.

The only thing that is sure is that there is perceived bias. From a poll I read, about 45/42% say it is too liberal, about 35/38% say the news media say it is about right, 15/16% say it is too conservative and 5/3% aren't sure.

When looking at those numbers it seems the news media are pretty much a reflection of the US society, people are just as divided in their views of news media as they are in just about everything else.

The views that the MSM is almost totally liberally biased is more based on political bias than on fact. It is very hard to view/determine something like that without bias.

Really? When 93% of the Washington press corps votes Dem?

Re: When will the Southern Poverty Law Center take responsibility sponsoring hate cri

Okay, you're not a conservative. But since you think the MSM is the left wing media, then it's a sure thing that you have bought that particular piece of right-wing dogma hook, line, and sinker.

What else would you call it when 93% of the Washington press corps votes Dem?

I'm sorry, but I've already posted the link to the video where the shooter states he got the information he needed from the SPLC website.

I'm growing a bit weary holding up one side of an argument with links and facts, while you're offering nothing but personal opinion.

If that is all you plan to offer, then I think this conversation has been completed.

:peace

I also posted the words that he stated regarding the SPLC issue.

You are providing diddly squat, you give an opinion and then twist words and intentions around and call it "facts".

You keep bringing up bogus claims about the SPLC purely based on your biased opinion of the SPLC.

FBI: Now how did you . . . This building, this organization. Did you . . .

FBI: Did you, how did you find it earlier? Did you like look it up online?

Corkins: It was a uh, Southern Poverty Law, lists, uh anti-gay groups.

Corkins: I found them online. I did a little bit of research, went to the website.

Corkins: Stuff like that

The only thing he says is that the SPLC lists anti-gay groups, something that the FRC is (proven beyond any doubt). You do not know what the extend of Corkins "little bit of research" entailed. Or what he found when he found them online. To be honest, we do not know very much because a cherry picked 19 second clip tells us nothing last time I checked. It most certainly does not prove your claims in any way shape or form.

I offer objective facts, you counter with skewed and biased attempts at facts and very biased opinions about the SPLC.

The only thing this video shows is that the SPLC lists the FRC as an anti-gay groups. Something that is absolutely factual, the FRC is a group that would love to have criminal sanctions against gay people having gay sex. They spew all kinds of lies about LGBT people and that has landed them quite rightly on the SPLC list of anti-gay groups. So what that Corkins read that? There were more than 1 anti-gay groups mentioned. The FRC, Westboro evil morons church and the American Family Association.

Perkins the leader of the FRC and one of the main hate spewers of the FRC said that the reckless rethoric gave a license to shoot. I really had a good laugh about that one because the only thing the SPLC does is report on the reckless rethoric/hatred coming from the FRC.

Fact is that Floyd Perkins choose the FRC based on the views and the politics of the FRC. The anti-gay FRC might be free to spew but the SPLC is also free to report on that hatred.

And you are right, I am not going to change my mind, especially not on the basis of the "facts" you claim to bring forward because they just do not hold up to scrutiny.

You know what, if the FRC thinks that the SPLC recklessly named them anti-gay than I cannot wait for the stream of lawsuits targeted at the FRC everytime a gay, lesbian, bi or transgender gets attacked or killed because the FRC's statement about gays are actually reckless, untrue and filled with hatred.

My information is completely true, and totally irrefutable.

As I stated earlier, it's unfortunate you chose to ignore this fact.

Again, I think it's time to move on from this one sided debate.

:)

You have no information, you rehash biased lies and distortions under the false pretense that they are irrefutable or factual.

The only fact that seems clear is that the FRC does not like to be called anti-gay (even though they are) and that they are on the SPLC website. You know, there is a very easy remedy for that, they would be removed from that list of hate mongers if they stopped spreading hatred and lies.

Simple isn't it.

And no, I have been doing my best to have a debate but it is darned hard to do so if the other side just keeps rehashing the same untrue biased opinions.

I would also like to not respond to your posts but as long as I see untrue statement I am going to have to respond and correct them by exposing the untruthfulness of those claims. You might feel the same way but I just don't see any facts there, just baseless accusations.

Really? When 93% of the Washington press corps votes Dem?

could you please provide a link to that? Also, I was not aware that the total news media is made up by members of the Washington press corps. Last time I checked every state has their own media and their own opinions.

Got a reference for that?

Freakonomics » How Biased is the Media? Tim Groseclose, Author ...

freakonomics.com/.../tim-groseclose-author-of-left-turn-answers-your-q...‎
Aug 8, 2011 - Tim Groseclose, Author of Left Turn, Answers Your Questions ... of the new book, Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind.

Last week we solicited your questions for Tim Groseclose, a political science professor at UCLA and author of the new book, Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind. The response was fast and furious. A total of 149 questions (and counting) have been posted in the comments section. We selected 14 of them for Groseclose to answer, and he obliged us quite promptly. As always, thanks to all for participating.
Q. Why does liberal media bias exist in the first place? What would you suggest as a way that a) journalists could be more aware of their own bias and limit it in their reporting; or b) the profession of journalism could attract a more unbiased (or merely more representative) cohort? – Jack
A. The main reason why bias exists, I believe, is simply that newsrooms are filled overwhelmingly with liberals. Here’s the most important fact to know, if you want to understand media bias: If you poll Washington correspondents and ask “Who’d you vote for last election?”, about 93% will say the Democrat.:mrgreen:

could you please provide a link to that? Also, I was not aware that the total news media is made up by members of the Washington press corps. Last time I checked every state has their own media and their own opinions.

Aug 8, 2011 - Tim Groseclose, Author of Left Turn, Answers Your Questions ... of the new book, Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind.

Last week we solicited your questions for Tim Groseclose, a political science professor at UCLA and author of the new book, Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind. The response was fast and furious. A total of 149 questions (and counting) have been posted in the comments section. We selected 14 of them for Groseclose to answer, and he obliged us quite promptly. As always, thanks to all for participating.
Q. Why does liberal media bias exist in the first place? What would you suggest as a way that a) journalists could be more aware of their own bias and limit it in their reporting; or b) the profession of journalism could attract a more unbiased (or merely more representative) cohort? – Jack
A. The main reason why bias exists, I believe, is simply that newsrooms are filled overwhelmingly with liberals. Here’s the most important fact to know, if you want to understand media bias: If you poll Washington correspondents and ask “Who’d you vote for last election?”, about 93% will say the Democrat.:mrgreen:

No one is stopping anyone in the USA from publishing any message that they want to put out.

If your message is not being put before the public you have only your lack of effort to blame.

Those on the other side are not responsible for spreading your message.

That's your job!

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

Whatever you say. . . .:lamo

I wouldn't be surprised if media tend to tilt more left than right, since the facts tend to support the left more often than the right ... also, journalists by and large believe in evolution, they don't believe a woman can't get pregnant when she's raped, they believe we should make it easier for people to vote not harder, etc. ... these are positions of educated people for the most part and media people tend to be well educated and they read and think ...

[h=3]Poll: Voter ID laws have support of a majority of Americans ...[/h]articles.washingtonpost.com › CollectionsPhoto Identification
Aug 11, 2012 - Almost three-quarters of all Americans support the idea that people should have to show photo identification to vote, even though they are ...:peace

[h=3]Poll: Voter ID laws have support of a majority of Americans ...[/h]articles.washingtonpost.com › CollectionsPhoto Identification
Aug 11, 2012 - Almost three-quarters of all Americans support the idea that people should have to show photo identification to vote, even though they are ...:peace

it's what can happen with low-information respondents, and don't forget, the majority of soldiers didn't want the military desegregated, but we did the right thing (we ended Jim Crow despite its popularity) ... but I'll wait for the results in the courts Jack and we'll see how it plays out at the ballot box ... Do you ever get tired of being on the wrong side of virtually every ethical or moral issue? If I were you, I'd be exhausted, but then again I didn't serve in the CIA ...

it's what can happen with low-information respondents, and don't forget, the majority of soldiers didn't want the military desegregated, but we did the right thing (we ended Jim Crow despite its popularity) ... but I'll wait for the results in the courts Jack and we'll see how it plays out at the ballot box ... Do you ever get tired of being on the wrong side of virtually every ethical or moral issue? If I were you, I'd be exhausted, but then again I didn't serve in the CIA ...

Unmerited condescension is your strong suit.

Unmerited condescension is your strong suit.

actually, you don't know me well enough to make that assessment ... as it turns out, you're wrong ... but warranted condescension is definitely up there ... maybe that's what you were picking up and got it confused with the unmerited variety ...

actually, you don't know me well enough to make that assessment ... as it turns out, you're wrong ... but warranted condescension is definitely up there ... maybe that's what you were picking up and got it confused with the unmerited variety ...

Some people are unaware that there's two kinds, having only expressed the one.

Sometimes you're almost worth the trouble, and sometimes not. This is one of those "not" times. Come back when you're not so cranky.:peace

Sometimes you're almost worth the trouble, and sometimes not. This is one of those "not" times. Come back when you're not so cranky.:peace

cranky? I'M NOT CRANKY! :mad: WHO THE HELL SAID I WAS CRANKY! :2mad: I'M NOT CRANKY!

Sadly he does not give a source for his number of 93% either. All he says if you poll them but so far I have not found an actual poll that has asked this.

I cannot say his statement is untru but I am still looking for confirmation of that number from an actual poll.

Whatever you say. . . .:lamo

A. The main reason why bias exists, I believe, is simply that newsrooms are filled overwhelmingly with liberals. Here’s the most important fact to know, if you want to understand media bias:
If you poll Washington correspondents and ask “Who’d you vote for last election?”, about 93% will say the Democrat.:mrgreen

:

This is just one of the reasons why the GOP got its backside handed to it last November.

If you don't get your message out, the one responsible for that failure is you.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Sadly he does not give a source for his number of 93% either. All he says if you poll them but so far I have not found an actual poll that has asked this.

I cannot say his statement is untru but I am still looking for confirmation of that number from an actual poll.

WHat are you talking about? His source is right there

Some guy on the internet says that if you did such a poll, the answer would be 93%

If some guy on the internet says so, then it must be true

How long before you realize you're being trolled?

It's in his book.

This is just one of the reasons why the GOP got its backside handed to it last November.

If you don't get your message out, the one responsible for that failure is you.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

That's why Repubs seek out friendlier media.

Back
Top Bottom