• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When will the next new person on a form of currency be a white male?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D44DCBC319B9F36910FCC0683834102B.jpg

Because it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

I believe that cash will cease to exist within the next decade. Why go through the expense of printing it? Debit cards, iPhone apps, electronic transactions. There won't be any cash soon. Putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 was nothing more than a way to give a hollow victory to women. Hopefully most of them are smart enough to see that for what it is.

I'm actually curious how the country would even get away from the current system. The system doesn't seem to lend itself all that well to being replaced.

It isn't hard really, I can't tell you the last time I've had two pennies in my pocket to rub together. I personally, (and I'm only saying this to illustrate a point) have traveled coast to coast and aside from making withdrawals in Vegas for gambling or to keep $20 in singles for the valet have maybe touched cash 3-4 times in the last year.

But to answer your post directly. Cash will go the same way our Privacy has -- We'll gladly give it away.

Various avenues will open up which will entice or encourage the transition. Much like you see two prices at some gas stations, a cash price and a credit price this can easily be inverted so that to pay with cash costs more. This can easily be implemented economy wide. Will it ever be completely gone? Maybe not, but it will be diminished to a point of irrelevancy as more and more physical cash will be pulled out of circulation.

Here in Chicago the CTA (public trans) has given up its pay system to a company called Ventra. You get a MasterCard backed card which you carry a balance on. The onion is that you can also use that same card to make purchases anywhere MasterCard is accepted. This opens up the working class and lower middle class consumer markets who traditionally don't hold checking or savings accounts and thereby lack a debit or credit card. Since they don't have bank accounts the Currency Exchange -- where they cash their checks can offer two separate fees. Allowing them to keep more of their check if they put it on a CE issued debit card.

And speaking of inversion the entire foundation in which inverted interest rates lies (an asinine concept where if you borrow you get paid and if you lend you pay for the privilege) hinges on people not making a mad dash for cash. Right now they got everyone by the short and curlys, as taking that 1-3% ding is more favorable than the possible loss in an extremely volatile market or giving up a nice, healthy chunk to Uncle Sam.

But as for actually taking it out of circulation, they'll look to remove the $100 and the $20 first as those are the most frequently counterfeited denominations. The $50 is damn near obsolete already, so all you'll have is $10s, $5, and $1's... Perfect for the low income types. (Because yes, this will bring about greater disparity and it will be easily recognizable as the only ones in mid transition to deal in cash will be the poor).

But, I could be wrong.

:shrug:

With all the discussion about currency and replacing existing people with new people, let's ask a politically incorrect question...

1) It'll be soon.
2) Never again in my lifetime.
3) Not for 100+ years.

If you had to predict, of course, and United States currency. The buzz-killington-obtuse will say they have no way of knowing, as if they're somehow special in their self-perceived exceptional rationality, but some of us like to amuse ourselves with this sort of thing. Have at it.

Since special interests seem to have successfully warped the thinking of so many people, how about we recognize the land on our money, and avoid the confirming messages that people are shallow morons via the "my person picture idea means I'm better than you" controversy?

It isn't hard really, I can't tell you the last time I've had two pennies in my pocket to rub together. I personally, (and I'm only saying this to illustrate a point) have traveled coast to coast and aside from making withdrawals in Vegas for gambling or to keep $20 in singles for the valet have maybe touched cash 3-4 times in the last year.

But to answer your post directly. Cash will go the same way our Privacy has -- We'll gladly give it away.

Various avenues will open up which will entice or encourage the transition. Much like you see two prices at some gas stations, a cash price and a credit price this can easily be inverted so that to pay with cash costs more. This can easily be implemented economy wide. Will it ever be completely gone? Maybe not, but it will be diminished to a point of irrelevancy as more and more physical cash will be pulled out of circulation.

Here in Chicago the CTA (public trans) has given up its pay system to a company called Ventra. You get a MasterCard backed card which you carry a balance on. The onion is that you can also use that same card to make purchases anywhere MasterCard is accepted. This opens up the working class and lower middle class consumer markets who traditionally don't hold checking or savings accounts and thereby lack a debit or credit card. Since they don't have bank accounts the Currency Exchange -- where they cash their checks can offer two separate fees. Allowing them to keep more of their check if they put it on a CE issued debit card.

And speaking of inversion the entire foundation in which inverted interest rates lies (an asinine concept where if you borrow you get paid and if you lend you pay for the privilege) hinges on people not making a mad dash for cash. Right now they got everyone by the short and curlys, as taking that 1-3% ding is more favorable than the possible loss in an extremely volatile market or giving up a nice, healthy chunk to Uncle Sam.

But as for actually taking it out of circulation, they'll look to remove the $100 and the $20 first as those are the most frequently counterfeited denominations. The $50 is damn near obsolete already, so all you'll have is $10s, $5, and $1's... Perfect for the low income types. (Because yes, this will bring about greater disparity and it will be easily recognizable as the only ones in mid transition to deal in cash will be the poor).

But, I could be wrong.

:shrug:
As long as a card is such that you can either use elsewhere or get a refund of any unused balance, that's fine... sans excessive fees, too. Locally, a national chain copy place instituted self-service copying, which in and of itself isn't bad, but you had to buy a pre-paid card to use their copy machines. You also had to guess how much you needed, and could not get a refund on any unused balance. That's wholly unacceptable to me, it's a money grab-for nothing. It may be only a few cents to me, but for them it adds up.

I did that once, because I was already there and it was late. I never went back. I switched to a local chain that lets you pay for only what you want.

With all the discussion about currency and replacing existing people with new people, let's ask a politically incorrect question...

1) It'll be soon.
3) Not for 100+ years.

If you had to predict, of course, and United States currency. The buzz-killington-obtuse will say they have no way of knowing, as if they're somehow special in their self-perceived exceptional rationality, but some of us like to amuse ourselves with this sort of thing. Have at it.

certainly not in my lifetime(I don't have much time left).... being a white male is a negative attribute and will be for the foreseeable future.

white males don't, and can't, have a special interest groups pushing for anything really... not even meaningless symbolism like pictures on currency.

if i had my druthers, I'd put Tesla on currency.. he's made more contributions to the whole of society than any other single person that i can think of.... but he's a white dude, and it would be racist to put his likeness on currency.

1) It'll be soon.
3) Not for 100+ years.

I said not for 100+ years because I think this was an extraordinary event that wont be repeated for a very long time. I don't think Lincoln, Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, etc are in danger of being displaced.

I said not for 100+ years because I think this was an extraordinary event that wont be repeated for a very long time. I don't think Lincoln, Hamilton, Washington, Franklin, etc are in danger of being displaced.
I think Washington and Lincoln should be sacrosanct, but anyone else I'm open to replacing.

As long as a card is such that you can either use elsewhere or get a refund of any unused balance, that's fine... sans excessive fees, too. Locally, a national chain copy place instituted self-service copying, which in and of itself isn't bad, but you had to buy a pre-paid card to use their copy machines. You also had to guess how much you needed, and could not get a refund on any unused balance. That's wholly unacceptable to me, it's a money grab-for nothing. It may be only a few cents to me, but for them it adds up.

I did that once, because I was already there and it was late. I never went back. I switched to a local chain that lets you pay for only what you want.

Yeah, I used that chain not to be mentioned once. Once.

Why are we even worried about this, when only one single white man is being removed from the currency and every other face gracing the front of every other piece of currency in this country is still a white man?

Does the fact that Andrew Jackson is getting replaced with Harriet Tubman really make you that ****ing insecure about your place in society as a white man?

Why are we even worried about this, when only one single white man is being removed from the currency and every other face gracing the front of every other piece of currency in this country is still a white man?

Does the fact that Andrew Jackson is getting replaced with Harriet Tubman really make you that ****ing insecure about your place in society as a white man?

Ummm...no. They are looking to replace the $5, $10 and $20 with women.

Who ****ing cares?

Andrew Jackson is one of my heroes. I hate to see this latest sop to political correctness by the Commie-in-Chief.

1. The United States is changing its demographics at a dizzying pace.

2. The emerging new majority ethnicity will feel that it is only fair that our currency feature their prominent people.

3. As the current majority ethnicity continues to shrink, it is understandable that the government will change the faces on our currency.

4. I have read that Ms. Harriet Tubman will soon be on our currency, even if President Trump is reelected (for some reason, it was decided that it could not be accomplished during his first term). Since Ms. Tubman's ethnicity is projected to be the second most numerous ethnicity in future years, it is understandable that many people are delighted by this decision.

I think Obama might have his face on US currency within the next hundred years.

I think that President Obama will be on our currency much sooner than in a hundred years.

I understand that Ms. Harriet Tubman is soon to be on our currency.

I think that President Obama could easily have his face on our currency after hers.

I have no doubt that many people in the Democratic party would urge the next Democratic president to support such a move, which would be very popular with many people.

1. The United States is changing its demographics at a dizzying pace.

2. The emerging new majority ethnicity will feel that it is only fair that our currency feature their prominent people.

3. As the current majority ethnicity continues to shrink, it is understandable that the government will change the faces on our currency.

4. I have read that Ms. Harriet Tubman will soon be on our currency, even if President Trump is reelected (for some reason, it was decided that it could not be accomplished during his first term). Since Ms. Tubman's ethnicity is projected to be the second most numerous ethnicity in future years, it is understandable that many people are delighted by this decision.

#4 needs a correction, HTubman was scheduled to be finalized in 2020. It now looks like 2026 will be the rollout. Underground railroad-yes, Trail of Tears-no

1) It'll be soon.
3) Not for 100+ years.

I can go months without ever actually touching physical currency. It will be done away with in my lifetime most likely.

#4 needs a correction, HTubman was scheduled to be finalized in 2020. It now looks like 2026 will be the rollout. Underground railroad-yes, Trail of Tears-no

Thank you for telling us the year of the rollout.

I think that it is accurate to say that the Trail of Tears will eventually be remembered, too.

Have a nice weekend!

"In God We Trust"

-VySky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom