• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

When will Donald Trump...

Frank Apisa

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
...declare that his "we will build a wall between the US and Mexico"...was intended to be a figurative wall...not an actual wall.

Walls really don't work. The Great Wall of China; Hadrian's Wall; Trajan's Wall; the Maginot Line (essentially a wall); the Blackwatch Wall...they never really work. You can go over 'em; around 'em; under 'em.

I think Trump's best bet is to call his reverence to a "wall" a figurative one...and figure a way to create a wall that he can claim will keep illegal entry to an absolute minimum.

But the question is: When will he make that move? (And what kind of "figurative" wall would he mean?)

Anyone?

...declare that his "we will build a wall between the US and Mexico"...was intended to be a figurative wall...not an actual wall.

Walls really don't work. The Great Wall of China; Hadrian's Wall; Trajan's Wall; the Maginot Line (essentially a wall); the Blackwatch Wall...they never really work. You can go over 'em; around 'em; under 'em.

I think Trump's best bet is to call his reverence to a "wall" a figurative one...and figure a way to create a wall that he can claim will keep illegal entry to an absolute minimum.

But the question is: When will he make that move? (And what kind of "figurative" wall would he mean?)

Anyone?

The Maginot line held out to the very last, only being taken out from behind, as the German forces proceeded into France from Belgium.

Next time bother to educate yourself before speaking.

Anyone?
If Trump pivots and says that the wall is meant to be figuratively instead of literally then it will increase my support for him even more.

The Maginot line held out to the very last, only being taken out from behind, as the German forces proceeded into France from Belgium.

So...you are saying it held?

Or are you saying it held until...blah, blah, blah.

Educate yourself before blundering, Paleocon.

If Trump pivots and says that the wall is meant to be figuratively instead of literally then it will increase my support for him even more.

Okay...I get that...and can even understand that.

But the question is...when do you think he will do it?

Anyone?

I don't think he really has to.

I am content to recognize it is unlikely he will actually build a great wall.

However, Trump is not stupid. He could do any number of things implying both that he remains sincere in building some kind of wall while not actually building one as massive and costly as some think.

So...you are saying it held?

Or are you saying it held until...blah, blah, blah.

Educate yourself before blundering, Paleocon.

It held against frontal attack, which is the entire purpose of a wall.

No one expects walls to hold when both sides are controlled by the enemy. That's not how things work.

Anyone?

what do you mean? what move?

I don't think he really has to.

I am content to recognize it is unlikely he will actually build a great wall.

However, Trump is not stupid. He could do any number of things implying both that he remains sincere in building some kind of wall while not actually building one as massive and costly as some think.

He definitely is not stupid.

We have his word on that.

I am guessing that he will work his way around "the wall" question by using a "figurative wall" argument.

I'm just wondering if he will use it early during the campaign...or only after being attacked on it relentlessly.

Any thoughts on that?

It held against frontal attack, which is the entire purpose of a wall.

No one expects walls to hold when both sides are controlled by the enemy. That's not how things work.

It DID NOT WORK. NO WALL OF THAT KIND WILL.

Jeez.

Anyone?

If he does it will be after the primary, probably at some point during the general election debates with Hillary when the issue is challenged by debate moderators. If follows, it'll be ugly.

He definitely is not stupid.

We have his word on that.

I am guessing that he will work his way around "the wall" question by using a "figurative wall" argument.

I'm just wondering if he will use it early during the campaign...or only after being attacked on it relentlessly.

Any thoughts on that?

I think once he has REALLY been hailed at the GOP convention as the chosen Presidential candidate he will begin his typical marketing tactic of "modifying" his stance to suit the new market requirements.

I'd predict we'll see some changes pretty soon after the convention is over.

If he does it will be after the primary, probably at some point during the general election debates with Hillary when the issue is challenged by debate moderators. If follows, it'll be ugly.

Can't wait. I'm going to laugh my ass off.

Anyone?

I think a good hit of LSD and a certain album by Pink Floyd would do him a world of good....

It will be ugly. The entire of the general election campaign is going to be ugly.

A shame really. We Americans should be above this.

I think once he has REALLY been hailed at the GOP convention as the chosen Presidential candidate he will begin his typical marketing tactic of "modifying" his stance to suit the new market requirements.

I'd predict we'll see some changes pretty soon after the convention is over.

Should be interesting.

"The wall" is big with his strongest supporters. I think he has to sell the idea of it being figurative.

Exactly. Walls are a static defense, and can easily be flanked.

I think a good hit of LSD and a certain album by Pink Floyd would do him a world of good....

I suspect we may hear a lot of that tune...and I suspect it will be the Democrats playing it with lots of glee. A few years ago I was at a laser show at a college planetarium...and the theme music was Pink Floyd's The Wall. Great show...great theme music.

I don't think The Donald is gonna like The Wall, though.

Exactly. Walls are a static defense, and can easily be flanked.

My point, Spud, was that they do not work. As I said, people can go over them, under them, and around them.

Paleocon is arguing that they do work.

But Paleocon just likes to tell me that I am wrong. Ya gotta love that kind of devotion.

Anyone?

Hi Frank, hope the golf is good. I hear the links are fab out here in Western Wa these days, lots of abnormally warm days, several records already, the grass loves it.

Go global warming.

THe answer to your query is that he will give up his wall in negotiations, most likely after he gets in the chair.

Hi Frank, hope the golf is good. I hear the links are fab out here in Western Wa these days, lots of abnormally warm days, several records already, the grass loves it.

Go global warming.

We haven't even had a start to our Spring yet. Summer will come on us before we get it.

THe answer to your query is that he will give up his wall in negotiations, most likely after he gets in the chair.

Wow. I hope it doesn't come to that. Nobody should be electrocuted for losing an election...and helping an opposing party win the Senate.

In fact, I don't think "the chair" is used in Federal executions any more.

Back
Top Bottom