• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Trump loses - what does the right do?

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With a lackluster GOP convention and a very successful Democratic convention, and the events of the last week with the Khan family - it now appears that Trump is in free fall and will most assuredly crash and burn. CNN has Clinton up 9 points - but more importantly at 52% support. Anybody who knows anything about polling will tell you that once you hit 50%, the other side has a really tough job because now its much more than fighting for undecideds - its taking away already declared supporters.

Morning Joe - led by former Republican House member Joe Scarborough who is also a Trump friend - spent the first 30 minutes of this mornings show discussing a topic I have rarely heard in presidential politics... IS DONALD TRUMP CRAZY? When that becomes the topic, you know you are neck deep in thick mud.

With a Clinton victory will most likely come with a Senate changing hands to Democratic control and a loss of GOP margin in the House should they retain control which is probably barring an all out Clinton landslide.

So what will the right do when they get a new liberal Supreme Court which threatens to upend all their favorable decisions of the last decade including Citizens United and Heller?

Will they continue to fight the political election battles girding up for 2018 to take the Senate back or will some embark on underground crusades taking them further and further away from the mainstream to the dangerous road of extremism to vent their frustrations?

Its going to be very very interesting.

Well Trump will sue the DNC, Clinton and any "turncoat" GOPer. He wont accept the result regardless.

Well for starters...they'll wildly scream and cry about voter fraud, rigged elections (Trump has already started this), stolen votes, votes from dead people and dogs, and rampant media bias and lies that "forced" voters to NOT vote for Trump.

But there's still 3 months left, and don't forget the debates and such...plenty of time for either candidate to self-destruct and burn.

The current goal is to crush Trump in Nov and hope that this crushes the Rebellion. I view this as unlikely, Trump might lose but no matter by how much the Rebellion is not going away. The first thing the Right is going to have to do is find some people who can play this game. I dont know where they are going to find them. Maybe some losers like Rubio get inspired.

With a lackluster GOP convention and a very successful Democratic convention, and the events of the last week with the Khan family - it now appears that Trump is in free fall and will most assuredly crash and burn. CNN has Clinton up 9 points - but more importantly at 52% support. Anybody who knows anything about polling will tell you that once you hit 50%, the other side has a really tough job because now its much more than fighting for undecideds - its taking away already declared supporters.

Morning Joe - led by former Republican House member Joe Scarborough who is also a Trump friend - spent the first 30 minutes of this mornings show discussing a topic I have rarely heard in presidential politics... IS DONALD TRUMP CRAZY? When that becomes the topic, you know you are neck deep in thick mud.

With a Clinton victory will most likely come with a Senate changing hands to Democratic control and a loss of GOP margin in the House should they retain control which is probably barring an all out Clinton landslide.

So what will the right do when they get a new liberal Supreme Court which threatens to upend all their favorable decisions of the last decade including Citizens United and Heller?

Will they continue to fight the political election battles girding up for 2018 to take the Senate back or will some embark on underground crusades taking them further and further away from the mainstream to the dangerous road of extremism to vent their frustrations?

:roll:

troll.jpg

One would think the Republicans would finally get it that they need to run more moderate candidates for the presidency in order to appeal to a broader swath of the electorate, but they won't. They will think the answer is to just get crazier.

One would think the Republicans would finally get it that they need to run more moderate candidates for the presidency in order to appeal to a broader swath of the electorate, but they won't. They will think the answer is to just get crazier.

And will this manifest itself within the political party system or will they feel so frustrated and angry that they will go outside of it becoming even more marginalized than what they are? That is the real danger to the body politic and to American society.

I'm part of "the right" and like a lot of people on "the right", I won't do a damn thing except pray that my votes for US Senator, governor, Congressional rep and state legislature representatives counted towards their wins.

To be fair, I don't think this is accurate at all.
Current polling suggests that the DNC was more successful than the RNC this year. The present controversy over the Khan family and Trump is a damaging spin off of the DNC for the Republican candidate.

I don't think so. I think the GOP is waiting for Trump to fail. They have to go with him, they'll probably try to change their primaries perhaps to give the party a bit more control. But I don't think the GOP really wants to be running Trump, they're just stuck with him. But they cannot bring in third parties or anything, they could sabotage their own power base if so.

So instead they will grin and bear it, wait till Trump loses, and regroup. They are going to invest their time and money on Senate and House seats instead. And unlike the OP, I don't think Congress is going to swap. In fact, I think Hillary is such a polarizing, and divisive candidate that while people may hold their nose and vote for her (because they don't understand about voting proper candidates from 3rd parties when the main party puts up crap), they won't vote to give the Dems control of both the White House and Congress with her as President.

So I would expect to see Congress stay very close to what it is now, the GOP maybe picking up a seat or two.

Now as it relates then to the SCOTUS picks...they'll play obstructionist for as long as they can and force some more moderate judge choices to come through. Hillary will have to do an exceptional job as President and the Dems really pull together hard to gain seats during her reign. If they do, they can get more liberal judges through. But if the GOP maintains some amount of control in Congress, she'll have to elect more moderate judges to get them through.

Current polling suggests that the DNC was more successful than the RNC this year. The present controversy over the Khan family and Trump is a damaging spin off of the DNC for the Republican candidate.

DNC got a bump due to be AFTER the RNC.

Yes - Trump is shooting his mouth off too much.

Give it time. Dems have proven they can screw the pooch just as well as the Reps.

DNC got a bump due to be AFTER the RNC.

Yes - Trump is shooting his mouth off too much.

Give it time. Dems have proven they can screw the pooch just as well as the Reps.
Absolutely, the Democrats could still lose this election. But Donald Trump's mouth and razor thin skin are wonderful allies.

The crazes will continue to act crazy; the moderates will continue to leave the GOP, and what's left will try to wrestle their party back from the abyss.

Absolutely, the Democrats could still lose this election. But Donald Trump's mouth and razor thin skin are wonderful allies.

It was predictable though. In fact, nothing was more predictable than the fact that Trump would alienate all but the most idiotic members of the voting public.

It was predictable though. In fact, nothing was more predictable than the fact that Trump would alienate all but the most idiotic members of the voting public.

Yes - many saw this coming and its fairly obvious that Trump will lose big in November and take the Senate with him. In fact, should he lose by eight or more points, even the GOP control of the heavily gerrymandered House could be in jeopardy although all the odds seem against that.

I don't think so. I think the GOP is waiting for Trump to fail. They have to go with him, they'll probably try to change their primaries perhaps to give the party a bit more control. But I don't think the GOP really wants to be running Trump, they're just stuck with him. But they cannot bring in third parties or anything, they could sabotage their own power base if so.

So instead they will grin and bear it, wait till Trump loses, and regroup. They are going to invest their time and money on Senate and House seats instead. And unlike the OP, I don't think Congress is going to swap. In fact, I think Hillary is such a polarizing, and divisive candidate that while people may hold their nose and vote for her (because they don't understand about voting proper candidates from 3rd parties when the main party puts up crap), they won't vote to give the Dems control of both the White House and Congress with her as President.

So I would expect to see Congress stay very close to what it is now, the GOP maybe picking up a seat or two.

Now as it relates then to the SCOTUS picks...they'll play obstructionist for as long as they can and force some more moderate judge choices to come through. Hillary will have to do an exceptional job as President and the Dems really pull together hard to gain seats during her reign. If they do, they can get more liberal judges through. But if the GOP maintains some amount of control in Congress, she'll have to elect more moderate judges to get them through.

This. I'm pretty sure that Hillary is going to win the POTUS seat. The best thing for the country at this time is for the Right to keep ahold of the Senate/congress. People saw what happened when one party controlled the POTUS seat, Congress, and the Senate. In 2012 and 2014 they showed that they didn't want such any longer with the right winning the majority in 2012 and holding it in 2014 (and gaining). I've got a feeling that even if Hillary wins then she'll still have to propose moderate judges to SCOTUS as no liberal judge would make it past the interview much less a vote due to the Right hanging onto the House/Senate.

And frankly I don't think we'd need to worry if Trump actually won the POTUS seat. There are enough of those on the right AND left that would block most of his stupidity. (including proposing wacko judges just as bad as what Hillary more than likely will try for) They might not be able to block his mouth unfortunately but they could definitely, and imo more than likely would block pretty much everything else that was stupid. It might actually be a GOOD thing if he won actually for the simple fact that he would probably unite both parties against him. God knows when the last time it was that they were united in something. (exaggeration on that last sentence, exaggeration meant to make a point)

I will note that I'm rather disgusted at those that HOPE for a completely leftist hold on the senate, congress, POTUS, AND SCOTUS. It smacks of not only partisan hackery but a blatant disregard for our Constitution and our way of life. They know that they cannot go through proper channels of getting the Constitution Amended (because they cannot get the 2/3rd vote requirement) so instead are going to rely on biased judges to uphold unconstitutional law and strike down law that they do not favor. It's down right sickening and everyone of you (general "you" aimed at JUST those across the country that advocate for this kind of crap) all should be ashamed of yourselves.

To be fair, I don't think this is accurate at all.

Polls of the last two days confirm my statement with Clinton getting a solid 7 or 8 point bump after the convention.

'When'? The race / election has not been run. 'If' would be more appropriate.
If there's anything that you should have noticed already, is that this is going to be the most unpredictable election in history.

No question eohrnberger. The mood of the voters is remarkable.

It's Super Charged Status Quo, versus, Anything But Status Quo.

Given Sanders strong run, and Trump getting the nomination, Status Quo doesn't look to be the flavor voters are most interested in.

But, who knows?

I will note that I'm rather disgusted at those that HOPE for a completely leftist hold on the senate, congress, POTUS, AND SCOTUS. It smacks of not only partisan hackery but a blatant disregard for our Constitution and our way of life. They know that they cannot go through proper channels of getting the Constitution Amended (because they cannot get the 2/3rd vote requirement) so instead are going to rely on biased judges to uphold unconstitutional law and strike down law that they do not favor. It's down right sickening and everyone of you (general "you" aimed at JUST those across the country that advocate for this kind of crap) all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Winning the White House and Congress and appointing SC justices to change the direction of the Court is indeed going through proper channels.

First Trump is not going to lose! So the question should be what are you going to do when Hillary loses and ends up in prison? :)
You seem pretty worked up about the "polls"? it's It's early August and they can and will change. Way to early to make your predictions.
If you watch Morning Joe with out a doubt they are supporting Clinton. Just look at the 180 change from the primary's to now.
In the primaries they supported Trump 100% and now he is the devil!

From now till the election the biased media will do everything them can to defeat Trump! It's general election time in America.

Really? More moderate candidates? Like Bush or Walker? The voters this year said a big no thanks to that.

Winning the White House and Congress and appointing SC justices to change the direction of the Court is indeed going through proper channels.

No, that is called gaming the system. I'm sure you've heard of it. Those on your side have certainly used the expression before when referring to gerrymandering by Republicans.

Back
Top Bottom