• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Trump loses - what does the right do?

Really? More moderate candidates? Like Bush or Walker? The voters this year said a big no thanks to that.

The Republicans have won the popular vote just once in a presidential election since 1988 with Bush in 2004. They are looking at extending their streak through at least 2024 if the base doesn't wise up. Had the Republicans ran someone like Kasich or Rubio right now, or for that matter even Jeb Bush, they would almost certainly be strongly favored to win the general election this November.

Now I know you are thinking well yeah but look at Romney. Romney ran as a doctrinaire Republican in 2012. There is not one single issue that he did not run as a hardcore conservative on and he lost big. Because of the mess Bush left in 2008, the Republicans were going to lose no matter what they did. Bush won the popular vote in 2004 by winning 40% of the Hispanic vote. He did so by not running as a bigot.

And will this manifest itself within the political party system or will they feel so frustrated and angry that they will go outside of it becoming even more marginalized than what they are? That is the real danger to the body politic and to American society.

On the flip side of this, I am concerned that the Bernie folks are pushing the Democrats too far to the left. If they keep it up, the Democrats could find themselves in a similar situation in a couple of election cycles. The Democrats have the most success running Moderate to Center-Left. Hardcore left results in nothing but another McGovern.

First Trump is not going to lose! So the question should be what are you going to do when Hillary loses and ends up in prison? :)
You seem pretty worked up about the "polls"? it's It's early August and they can and will change. Way to early to make your predictions.
If you watch Morning Joe with out a doubt they are supporting Clinton. Just look at the 180 change from the primary's to now.
In the primaries they supported Trump 100% and now he is the devil!

From now till the election the biased media will do everything them can to defeat Trump! It's general election time in America.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt and your post proves it.

On the flip side of this, I am concerned that the Bernie folks are pushing the Democrats too far to the left. If they keep it up, the Democrats could find themselves in a similar situation in a couple of election cycles. The Democrats have the most success running Moderate to Center-Left. Hardcore left results in nothing but another McGovern.

You have a point there. There is a practical limit to how far to the left the Dems can go. I suspect that Sanders hit his high influence mark with this election.

No, that is called gaming the system. I'm sure you've heard of it. Those on your side have certainly used the expression before when referring to gerrymandering by Republicans.

NO. It is called winning elections and the real world consequences of those election victories. And yes, gerrymandering is one of those consequences which is why many people advocate removing the power to draw districts away from the sitting legislature and giving it to panels of far more objective citizens.

You have a point there. There is a practical limit to how far to the left the Dems can go. I suspect that Sanders hit his high influence mark with this election.

Frankly, if they were running against anyone other than Trump, they would probably be running too far to the left already in order to appease the Bernie supporters.

The Republicans have won the popular vote just once in a presidential election since 1988 with Bush in 2004. They are looking at extending their streak through at least 2024 if the base doesn't wise up. Had the Republicans ran someone like Kasich or Rubio right now, or for that matter even Jeb Bush, they would almost certainly be strongly favored to win the general election this November.

Now I know you are thinking well yeah but look at Romney. Romney ran as a doctrinaire Republican in 2012. There is not one single issue that he did not run as a hardcore conservative on and he lost big. Because of the mess Bush left in 2008, the Republicans were going to lose no matter what they did. Bush won the popular vote in 2004 by winning 40% of the Hispanic vote. He did so by not running as a bigot.

The republicans control the House (247 seats) , the Senate.

There are 31 Republicans governors today.

The GOP now controls 68 out of 98 partisan state legislative chambers -- the highest number in the history of the party.

And in 2017 they will have the White House!

NO. It is called winning elections and the real world consequences of those election victories. And yes, gerrymandering is one of those consequences which is why many people advocate removing the power to draw districts away from the sitting legislature and giving it to panels of far more objective citizens.

Nevermind Haymarket. You're words are always squirming every which way possible in order to not admit the actual truth of a situation. You're not worth arguing with.

If Trump loses I will spend the next 4 years fighting for my rights and freedom. I will continue to watch the economy struggle and pray for a strong leader to come along in 4 years and lead this country back to where it should be.

If Trump loses I will spend the next 4 years fighting for my rights and freedom. I will continue to watch the economy struggle and pray for a strong leader to come along in 4 years and lead this country back to where it should be.

Well better get ready for that then. Mr. Foot-in-Mouth Trump will be slipping in the polls soon enough. I don't think the GOP could have put up any better candidate to ensure a Hillary victory.

The republicans control the House (247 seats) , the Senate.

There are 31 Republicans governors today.

The GOP now controls 68 out of 98 partisan state legislative chambers -- the highest number in the history of the party.

And in 2017 they will have the White House!

The win off year elections because the electorate is smaller, older, and much whiter those years. The problem is that the electorate is much more demographically diverse in presidential elections, thus you must appeal to a much broader demographic.

Nevermind Haymarket. You're words are always squirming every which way possible in order to not admit the actual truth of a situation. You're not worth arguing with.

Which is your way of saying you have no real rebuttal to what I stated. And that is sad that you have to resort to attacks rather than any sort of intellectual discussion of the points I raised.

Polls of the last two days confirm my statement with Clinton getting a solid 7 or 8 point bump after the convention.

Trump has fallen in polls thanks to his big mouth, not because of how "FABULOUS" the DNC was.

Let us not forget how the DNC started shall we? Debbie Wasserman Schultz?

Which is your way of saying you have no real rebuttal to what I stated. And that is sad that you have to resort to attacks rather than any sort of intellectual discussion of the points I raised.

If it makes you feel better then think whatever you want HM. :shrug:

Really? More moderate candidates? Like Bush or Walker? The voters this year said a big no thanks to that.

You can be moderate without being an awful human being. Walker wasn't moderate but he was still a scumbag. JEB! Was a moderate and also a disgusting piece of festering garbage.

Trump has fallen in polls thanks to his big mouth, not because of how "FABULOUS" the DNC was.

Let us not forget how the DNC started shall we? Debbie Wasserman Schultz?

And by the evening Shultz was gone with the wind.

Trumps big mouth has been on display for over a year now. Why would it just now bite him in the ass and cost him 8 or 9 polling points right in conjunction with the Democratic convention if the convention itself was not a factor?

If it makes you feel better then think whatever you want HM. :shrug:

I would prefer to discuss the issues raised rather than engage in personal attacks. I would hope you would do the same.

I don't think the GOP could have put up any better candidate to ensure a Hillary victory.

I don't think the Dems could have put up a better candidate to possibly prove that theory wrong.

Cruz would have ensured a Dem victory. Santorum, Perry, and possibly Bush would have too.

The win off year elections because the electorate is smaller, older, and much whiter those years. The problem is that the electorate is much more demographically diverse in presidential elections, thus you must appeal to a much broader demographic.
That is also a challenge for Democrats--to make inroads in the off years where Republicans have dominated. It's not enough to win the presidency. For real change--like a single payer health system--Democrats need local support and governorships to ultimately regain Congress. FDR and Lyndon Johnson had those advantages. I doubt that a Trump loss will significantly change the political map. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think the Dems could have put up a better candidate to possibly prove that theory wrong.

Cruz would have ensured a Dem victory. Santorum, Perry, and possibly Bush would have too.

So you're saying the GOP had no candidates who could beat the Dems this go around. Interesting.

With a lackluster GOP convention and a very successful Democratic convention, and the events of the last week with the Khan family - it now appears that Trump is in free fall and will most assuredly crash and burn. CNN has Clinton up 9 points - but more importantly at 52% support. Anybody who knows anything about polling will tell you that once you hit 50%, the other side has a really tough job because now its much more than fighting for undecideds - its taking away already declared supporters.

Morning Joe - led by former Republican House member Joe Scarborough who is also a Trump friend - spent the first 30 minutes of this mornings show discussing a topic I have rarely heard in presidential politics... IS DONALD TRUMP CRAZY? When that becomes the topic, you know you are neck deep in thick mud.

With a Clinton victory will most likely come with a Senate changing hands to Democratic control and a loss of GOP margin in the House should they retain control which is probably barring an all out Clinton landslide.

So what will the right do when they get a new liberal Supreme Court which threatens to upend all their favorable decisions of the last decade including Citizens United and Heller?

Will they continue to fight the political election battles girding up for 2018 to take the Senate back or will some embark on underground crusades taking them further and further away from the mainstream to the dangerous road of extremism to vent their frustrations?

Its going to be very very interesting.

I haven't seen any info on that. My gut is that i won't change hands. Maybe close though. Regardless, the only thing that matters is having 60 seats since republicans act like whiny ****s when they get their asses handed to them.

And by the evening Shultz was gone with the wind.

Trumps big mouth has been on display for over a year now. Why would it just now bite him in the ass and cost him 8 or 9 polling points right in conjunction with the Democratic convention if the convention itself was not a factor?

There is a looooooooooooooooooong time left for pendulum swings based on what each candidate says.

Also - right after the RNC Trump surged in polls. Ahead of Clinton.

So your comment about the RNC being lackluster or whatever you said is false. The RNC was pretty much a winner for them. Trumps kids hit home runs.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Trump is finished. Clinton has a crap-ton of ghosts in her closet and the Dem party isn't helping her much with how they ran the nominations.
Plenty of Sanders folks still very pissed off.

I will note that I'm rather disgusted at those that HOPE for a completely leftist hold on the senate, congress, POTUS, AND SCOTUS. It smacks of not only partisan hackery but a blatant disregard for our Constitution and our way of life. They know that they cannot go through proper channels of getting the Constitution Amended (because they cannot get the 2/3rd vote requirement) so instead are going to rely on biased judges to uphold unconstitutional law and strike down law that they do not favor. It's down right sickening and everyone of you (general "you" aimed at JUST those across the country that advocate for this kind of crap) all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Oh ok. Lefties just want to win elections so they can **** all over the constitution.

Such a valid unbiased post. Good lord.

Back
Top Bottom