• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When the Rental Car Place Doesn’t Hold Your Reservation

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Ever happen to you?
When the Rental Car Place Doesn’t Hold Your Reservation

When the Rental Car Place Doesn’t Hold Your Reservation - ABC News

Love this quote:
As Jerry Seinfeld so brilliantly put it in the rental car episode: "You know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them."

Ever happen to you?

Excellent advice - prepay rather than simply reserve. If a company robs you, rather than simply overbooks reservations, then they may face greater legal consequences. I had a problem with ordering stuff from Lowe's who required that I prepay for the order at the local store and yet they never filled the order - they tried to blame the vendor but that was BS since the vendor never got paid but they did.

Last edited:
Excellent advice - prepay rather than simply reserve. If a company robs you, rather than simply overbooks reservations, then they may face greater legal consequences. I had a problem with ordering stuff from Lowe's who required that I prepay for the order at the local store and yet they never filled the order - they tried to blame the vendor but that was BS since the vendor never got paid but they did.

The consumer can play the same game: Make a reservation with four car rental companies. I usually only do two, though.

The consumer can play the same game: Make a reservation with four car rental companies. I usually only do two, though.

Yet, if 75% (or even 50%) of reservations are no shows then how much would making those reservations help you? You would likely have as much "luck" just calling around once you have arrived. ;)

Yet, if 75% (or even 50%) of reservations are no shows then how much would making those reservations help you? You would likely have as much "luck" just calling around once you have arrived. ;)

The reservation locks in a price. Back when I rented cars a lot, there was rarely NO vehicle available. It was a bit unnerving to drive a Chevy Trailblazer in midtown Manhattan (and I don't mean Manhattan, Kansas). The Trailblazer was at a sub-compact price. My most recent rental was a Camaro that reeked of weed last year at LaGuardia, at the price of a compact.

Ever happen to you?
... you hold your ground, and in front of them prepare to start dialing their regional center (after you ask them for the number), informing the counter people that you will work your way up to corporate if needed, and let them know to "not go anywhere" because you may need them to speak on the phone!

They immediately found me without my needing to initiate the call - a sales manager's personal vehicle! I kid you not!

This took place a few years ago in an Enterprise location within a Nissan dealership, located in the upper Midwest.

I've had great success with this technique in a myriad of business environments. I simply request a manager, and when the manager claims he cannot help me, I non-antagonistically but firmly let them know I need to escalate with their regional manager, and I kindly ask them for their regional manager's direct number.

If they're reticent to give-out the manager's number ("it's against our policy"), I get a little firmer, saying:

"I believe you're trying your best here, and when you give me the number I'm going to say exactly that to your manager, because I believe the problem may be with the system you're in rather than you personally. But if you refuse to give me the number so I can work this out with them, I assure you one-way-or-another I will get their number and subsequently let them know you're attempting to impede me from speaking to them"

"So what's it going to be? I'd like that number."

With that above, I've literally never had an instance where something to my satisfaction has not been done at the branch store level, and I've never had to make the call. When finally satisfied, I kindly ask the person assisting me:

"Who can I call or email to make you look good, since you went way out of your way for me? I'd like to thank you."

If they give me a contact (they always do), I do my best to do a very quick follow-up praising the individual (s) by name for finding a solution. I may need these people again, and I want them on my side - and besides, it's the right thing to do. I have turned bad situations into good like this, and have established seemingly good repeat customer relationships despite a rocky initial interaction.

Try it!

... you hold your ground, and in front of them prepare to start dialing their regional center (after you ask them for the number), informing the counter people that you will work your way up to corporate if needed, and let them know to "not go anywhere" because you may need them to speak on the phone!

They immediately found me without my needing to initiate the call - a sales manager's personal vehicle! I kid you not!

This took place a few years ago in an Enterprise location within a Nissan dealership, located in the upper Midwest.

I've had great success with this technique in a myriad of business environments. I simply request a manager, and when the manager claims he cannot help me, I non-antagonistically but firmly let them know I need to escalate with their regional manager, and I kindly ask them for their regional manager's direct number.

If they're reticent to give-out the manager's number ("it's against our policy"), I get a little firmer, saying:

"I believe you're trying your best here, and when you give me the number I'm going to say exactly that to your manager, because I believe the problem may be with the system you're in rather than you personally. But if you refuse to give me the number so I can work this out with them, I assure you one-way-or-another I will get their number and subsequently let them know you're attempting to impede me from speaking to them"

With that above, I've literally never had an instance where something to my satisfaction has not been done at the branch store level, and I've never had to make the call. When finally satisfied, I kindly ask the person assisting me:

"Who can I call or email to make you look good, since you went way out of your way for me? I'd like to thank you."

If they give me a contact (they always do), I do my best to do a very quick follow-up praising the individual (s) by name for finding a solution. I may need these people again, and I want them on my side - and besides, it's the right thing to do. I have turned bad situations into good like this, and have established seemingly good repeat customer relationships despite a rocky initial interaction.

Try it!
:applaud

I especially approve of following up with a commendation. We (as a society) are so quick to criticize and complain anymore. We need to give kudos where it's warranted, too.

The reservation locks in a price. Back when I rented cars a lot, there was rarely NO vehicle available. It was a bit unnerving to drive a Chevy Trailblazer in midtown Manhattan (and I don't mean Manhattan, Kansas). The Trailblazer was at a sub-compact price. My most recent rental was a Camaro that reeked of weed last year at LaGuardia, at the price of a compact.

Yep, but what good is that "guaranteed" low price if the reserved product is not there? Why save a car to maybe rent at a lower price if someone wants to rent it now at a higher price?

Two markets, side by side, each advertised hamburger meat, one at $.99/lb. and the other at $2.99/lb. A customer went into the discount store and was told that their hamburger meat was temporarily out of stock. The customer then went next door and asked why their hamburger price was so high - they were told that when they ran out of hamburger they just give it away instead of offering it at a great sale price. ;)

Last edited:
Yep, but what good is that "guaranteed" low price if the reserved product is not there? Why save a car to maybe rent at a lower price if someone wants to rent it now at a higher price?

Two markets, side by side, each advertised hamburger meat, one at $.99/lb. and the other at $2.99/lb. A customer went into the discount store and was told that their hamburger meat was temporarily out of stock. The customer then went next door and asked why the hamburger price was so high - they were told that when they ran out of hamburger they just give it away instead of offering it at a great sale price. ;)
:lamo

Prepaying makes little difference. Airlines and hotels consistently overbook. I've turned the airline overbooking to my advantage by taking a later flight with compensation.

Never had a problem with car rentals. I don't remember an overbooking situation with car rentals, even with flying into Denver during ski season.

That reminded me of a restaurant in Front Royal, VA that had a large yummy picture of a steak on the window with "T-bones $.99" in very large print - below that, in very small print, was "with meat, extra." ;)

:applaud

I especially approve of following up with a commendation. We (as a society) are so quick to criticize and complain anymore. We need to give kudos where it's warranted, too.
Thank you.

I think a big part of getting satisfaction is getting the manager to believe you are on his and his employees side, but you must call above to push the system above them in order to resolve the issue.

Most times in general corporate retail business environments an enterprising employee or manager can find creative solutions to structural problems - they just need motivation. I figure it's my job as a customer to motivate them, starting of course with positive reinforcement and seeing where it goes from there.

Prepaying makes little difference. Airlines and hotels consistently overbook. I've turned the airline overbooking to my advantage by taking a later flight with compensation.

Never had a problem with car rentals. I don't remember an overbooking situation with car rentals, even with flying into Denver during ski season.

Wonderful if you don't mind just hanging out at the airport but not so practical if you must hang out in a parking lot.

Too often that doesn't work. The purpose of prepay is to guarantee you will show. Don't show, you lose your prepay.

Too often that doesn't work. The purpose of prepay is to guarantee you will show. Don't show, you lose your prepay.

Yeah, but if they overbook and you show up and there are no cars available, all they have to do is give back your money and you're still out of luck.

Wonderful if you don't mind just hanging out at the airport but not so practical if you must hang out in a parking lot.

Admittedly, I'm not a major automobile renter, a couple of times a year, but I've never been in a situation where there are no cars available at the agency.
I typically reserve the lowest price car listed knowing it's not my choice. I've always been able to upgrade at the counter. Generally for free.

Yeah, but if they overbook and you show up and there are no cars available, all they have to do is give back your money and you're still out of luck.

Again, I've not found that to be the case. That may be all the agency is obligated to do, but in practice the company does not like pissing off customers.

Again, I've not found that to be the case. That may be all the agency is obligated to do, but in practice the company does not like pissing off customers.

I know, but I've never once reserved a car that wasn't there when I arrived either. I think most companies are pretty good about it. But in high traffic areas where there are a lot of broken reservations, like airports, I'm sure they overbook like crazy, just hoping someone shows up. If something happens and everyone shows up, some people are just going to go without, you can't rent something that isn't there. That's just how reality works.

In the mean time your money is tied up, in their bank account, not yours. And even if they do give a credit back without hassle, it still takes time to be credited back to your credit card (usually overnight, but sometimes longer).

I know, but I've never once reserved a car that wasn't there when I arrived either. I think most companies are pretty good about it. But in high traffic areas where there are a lot of broken reservations, like airports, I'm sure they overbook like crazy, just hoping someone shows up. If something happens and everyone shows up, some people are just going to go without, you can't rent something that isn't there. That's just how reality works.

I have no doubt it's possible. But the companies get good at anticipating demand. Denver, where I fly most often, has to be one of the most up and down car rental markets in the country. Even when I've flown in over Christmas, I've never had a problem.

In my experience, the real culprits are airlines, and to a lesser extent, hotels. I've been voluntarily bumped off a plane more than once. Once I got my flight free an hour later, plus a chit for RT anywhere the airline flew.

Panama is a beautiful place.

They weren't prepaid reservations; never made one of those.

Try it!

I really like that. May have to use it in the future.

The real reason they didn't get their car is that they used a third party reservation. Airlines do this all the time. If they bump passengers for overbooking, they start with the third party web site reservations and work down from there. The rental car company likely did the same. They opted for the full price/no commission reservations over the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom