• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When the Dark Shadow of Gun Violence knocks on your Door

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Catch a quick glimpse of the late Karl Davis, age 32, who died in a hail of bullets near the French Quarter in New Orleans on July 8th.

Karl, with a cousin and her daughter, pose for photo in one of my Pinellas County FL homes:
1F64A6F1-D039-466A-A51D-CA693D20C2F3.jpegMy Godson, Karl’s older brother, lives in that home. That same day, Karl left with his cousin on a mission to move to New Orleans to live with an aunt. Karl adopted a lifestyle in New Orleans that resulted in his demise. Karl, unarmed at the time of death, died in a hail of bullets. Law Enforcement found 17 shell casings at the scene.

Karl’s older brother, #41, went with my wife and I last year to the Bucs v. Saints game. At halftime, he briefly hooked up with one of his workout Besties and his wife:FA07F72F-ACE2-4D1E-B18B-878F004F6C24.jpeg

Now, for sure, I don’t have any particular gun legislation to recommend. I do know I’d like the topic of gun violence to become a higher priority at every level of government.

DD83796A-E060-4864-9941-96BC1188850F.jpeg

Last edited:
Catch a quick glimpse of the late Karl Davis, age 32, who died in a hail of bullets near the French Quarter in New Orleans on July 8th.

Karl, with a cousin and her daughter, pose for photo in one of my Pinellas County FL homes:
View attachment 67402049My Godson, Karl’s older brother, lives in that home. That same day, Karl left with his cousin on a mission to move to New Orleans to live with an aunt. Karl adopted a lifestyle in New Orleans that resulted in his demise. Karl, unarmed at the time of death, died in a hail of bullets. Law Enforcement found 17 shell casings at the scene.

Karl’s older brother, #41, went with my wife and I last year to the Bucs v. Saints game. At halftime, he briefly hooked up with one of his workout Besties and his wife:View attachment 67402051

Now, for sure, I don’t have any particular gun legislation to recommend. I do know I’d like the topic of gun violence to become a higher priority at every level of government.

I’m sorry about your close loss. Unfortunately I don’t think there are any real answers here. The 100,000’ view is situations where gun violence is likely are clear for all of us to see. For instance I know where not to go if I want to reduce my odds of being a victim of gun violence. Of course, nowhere is perfectly safe but I know where I should be as opposed to somewhere else

It’s not a pretty situation.

Karl loved the French Quarter club scene and the street life that came with it. Kind of a hefty guy, he didn’t shy away from confrontation. He tended to lean in.

Street Life:

Sorry to hear. I will be going to French Quarter soon, and safety is on the top of my concerns.

Regarding gun violence, we have two types in the U.S.
One side that says nothing can be done or that it's fine the way it is.
One side that envisions a better life without so much gun violence.

All it takes is enough people to pursue meaningful change. I'm with you on that.

Sorry to hear. I will be going to French Quarter soon, and safety is on the top of my concerns.

Regarding gun violence, we have two types in the U.S.
One side that says nothing can be done or that it's fine the way it is.
One side that envisions a better life without so much gun violence.

All it takes is enough people to pursue meaningful change. I'm with you on that.
Actually you have one side that thinks guns are violent.

Karl adopted a lifestyle in New Orleans that resulted in his demise.

I do know I’d like the topic of gun violence to become a higher priority at every level of government.

Sorry to hear you lost a friend, but it seems that you found a great place to start looking for a solution.

You like the status quo, so you make stupid jokes about gun violence. Sad.
No..I support solutions that work to stop violence..
Not fear mongering and blaming an inanimate object for violence.

Fact..everyone of the anti gun proposals is proven not to work.

Sarcasm? You consider a DP Gun Control thread a great place?

It's not sarcasm at all. The "place" I was talking about is the text I quoted regarding your friend's own behavior.

Karl loved the French Quarter club scene and the street life that came with it. Kind of a hefty guy, he didn’t shy away from confrontation. He tended to lean in.

Street Life:

Always a shame and a tragic end to a life when it ends from violence. It appears this younger man was going down the wrong path and his behavior contributed to his demise. It's had to feel too much sympathy for a person who made bad choices and because of those choices wound up being killed. However as I said, it's always tragic.
My dad was a tough guy kind of guy. He raised us as tough guys but we were tempered by my mother and her parents who we spend about half our young lives with. (My parents were divorced when I was only about 4.) We still spent time with my dad and I lived with him from age 13 - 19, so some of it stuck from both sides of the family. Yet, even my father always said, "remember that there is always a badder, bad ass than you. When he isn't there is always a gun or knife that he may carry". So I learned to be cautious. I've seen a little more crap than I like to admit sometimes. I had both guns and knives pointed at me and on a couple of occasions directly in my face. Luckily I came out ok. Each time taught me to be a little more careful. A lot more observant. I raised my own children similarly, but heavy on the yield to caution when you can. When you can't avoid a confrontation, strike hard and try to stop it quickly and get away.
I know this isn't always great advice but it seems to have worked. Watch were you go,who you are around, avoid bad people, try not to start trouble and walk away when at all possible. The hardest part of this advice is often swallowing your manly pride. It goes down a little hard but it is the soundest coarse of action.
Sorry for your loss and God bless you and yours.

It's not sarcasm at all. The "place" I was talking about is the text I quoted regarding your friend's own behavior.
Yep. I suspect you make a point of staying away from clubs in the French Quarter. We both know that as a general rule, Black lives don’t matter as much as White ones, especially in situations of Black on Black crime.

Now, take the case of alleged White on Black crime, hard to fathom a Georgia jury convicted three White men for murdering Ahmaud Arbery!

As for lifestyle choices, I feel really good about my role in influencing Karl’s older brother’s lifestyle choices.

Thanks for joining the thread. I appreciate the open-minded dialog.

Yep. I suspect you make a point of staying away from clubs in the French Quarter. We both know that as a general rule, Black lives don’t matter as much as White ones, especially in situations of Black on Black crime.

Now, take the case of alleged White on Black crime, hard to fathom a Georgia jury convicted three White men for murdering Ahmaud Arbery!

As for lifestyle choices, I feel really good about my role in influencing Karl’s older brother’s lifestyle choices.

I wasn't referring to "going to clubs in the French Quarter," as you surely understand.

I wasn't referring to "going to clubs in the French Quarter," as you surely understand.
In the United States, pretty sure strong evidence confirms dying by gun violence remains statistically more significant among Black males who love street life and lean into confrontations than White males who love street life and lean into confrontations. You know, Black Lives Matter less than White Lives.

As an aside, thoughts and prayers on overcoming your recent bout with Covid.

In the United States, pretty sure strong evidence confirms dying by gun violence remains statistically more significant among Black males who love street life and lean into confrontations than White males who love street life and lean into confrontations. You know, Black Lives Matter less than White Lives.

You point to strong evidence that those lives matter less to the people who have them, not so much that they matter less to others.

Sarcasm? You consider a DP Gun Control thread a great place?
This may sound crass but why are you even here then? I detected no sarcasm in Tlrmln at all. Or did you purposely cut his post off.
Tlrmln said:
Sorry to hear you lost a friend, but it seems that you found a great place to start looking for a solution.
Notice how the bold wording you left off entirely changes things? Post 8 by the way.

Thoughts and prayers to both of you.

You point to strong evidence that those lives matter less to the people who have them, not so much that they matter less to others.

This may sound crass but why are you even here then? I detected no sarcasm in Tlrmln at all. Or did you purposely cut his post off.

Notice how the bold wording you left off entirely changes things? Post 8 by the way.

What does the above have to do with gun control. All you're doing is making a race issue.
Not a clue.
It's a two way deal.

What does the above have to do with gun control. All you're doing is making a race issue.

Not a clue.

It's a two way deal.
You impressed me in one of the K. Rittenhouse threads.

Going to guess your past includes shooting at least one human in your life for good cause.

Thoughts and prayers to both of you.

I think it will take a lot more than thoughts and prayers to convince millions of young men that the "street life" and "not backing down from confrontation" is a good way to live one's life.

No..I support solutions that work to stop violence..
Not fear mongering and blaming an inanimate object for violence.

Fact..everyone of the anti gun proposals is proven not to work.
Maybe Americans can learn something from Japanese culture.

As in NOT adopting the thug or street life.

Back
Top Bottom