• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"When somebody burns the American flag they should go to jail for one year!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't pretend to be stupid. 1st amendment.
Yeah, if says stuff about a free press and public writings, nothing about antisocial behavior.

Yeah, if says stuff about a free press and public writings, nothing about antisocial behavior.
The 1A says nothing about “public writings.” The term used is “freedom of speech” which is very broad and obviously covers more than “public” writings, whatever that is.

As I've stated, why Trump proposes something I disagree with, I will argue against it.

In the following video we see a snippet of Trump's recent campaign speech in Michigan:

Now as some members may know, I voted for Trump in 2016. Other's may know that I also "early" voted for him again 2 weeks ago. I support most of his agenda.

However, I do not support this "criminalization" of free expression.

I am a firm believer in the First Amendment right of free expression. While I do recognize some limits (inciting to riot, stealing and destroying other's property to show opposition, etc.) they must be connected to a tangible harm.

Therefore, if someone steals another persons flag, and burns it? Then I can support the idea of arrest for theft and destruction of property, punishable by fine or low-level misdemeanor depending on the circumstances.

But arrest and conviction simply for burning a flag? NO!

As long as the flag is personal property, or freely given by the owner to someone with knowledge and permission of destruction?

That is FREE EXPRESSION folks! Fully protected by the First Amendment.

To allow criminal prosecution and conviction simply for the act of flag burning is wrong. That is a slippery slope which will lead to places we who believe in freedom don't want to see happen.

I still support the President...but NOT in this pursuit.

yep, as much as I detest someone disrespecting the flag, the US government should not regulate the speech or expression of any citizen....now, the private sector is a different story, but they cannot put you in jail for your speech or expression...

yep, as much as I detest someone disrespecting the flag, the US government should not regulate the speech or expression of any citizen....now, the private sector is a different story, but they cannot put you in jail for your speech or expression...
Why do you see the need to lie? You welcome people disrespecting the United States flag. That’s the only reason you would want it to be legal. It is not because some abstract argument says that it is free speech. Because it is obviously not.

Why do you see the need to lie? You welcome people disrespecting the United States flag. That’s the only reason you would want it to be legal. It is not because some abstract argument says that it is free speech. Because it is obviously not.
I welcome the 1st ammendment. Sometimes people say or do things you don't like. That's OK.

I welcome the 1st ammendment. Sometimes people say or do things you don't like. That's OK.
Doing things other then limited political speech is not protected by the first amendment

In that case, you're dead.
I acknowledge my views are not popular and unlikely to be adopted as laws.

however that doesn’t not mean I am obliged to support everything that is an offense to moral order. It is simply wrong to show hatred of your country. It is ok to be critical of policy, it is ok to oppose policy, but you owe your country a base level of respect. If I lived in Mexico, or Russia, or Norway, or whatever other country, no matter how much I agreed or disagreed with their policies, I would never desecrate their national symbols. I have many problems with the government of China, if I lived in China I would pray for the soul of Xi Jingping and show all due respect for the flag of China and their history and traditions.

It's not like you help the cause anyway.

however that doesn’t not mean I am obliged to support everything that is an offense to moral order.

I too enjoy inventing standards and pretending like they've always existed.

It is simply wrong to show hatred of your country.

I will willingly hate my country if my country does hateful things.

It is ok to be critical of policy, it is ok to oppose policy, but you owe your country a base level of respect.

Respect is earned.

If I lived in Mexico, or Russia, or Norway, or whatever other country, no matter how much I agreed or disagreed with their policies, I would never desecrate their national symbols.

Gee, I wonder if there's a word for people who worship icons.

It's not like you help the cause anyway.

I too enjoy inventing standards and pretending like they've always existed.

I will willingly hate my country if my country does hateful things.

Respect is earned.

Gee, I wonder if there's a word for people who worship icons.
Cultists? Fanatics?

however that doesn’t not mean I am obliged to support everything that is an offense to moral order. It is simply wrong to show hatred of your country. It is ok to be critical of policy, it is ok to oppose policy, but you owe your country a base level of respect. If I lived in Mexico, or Russia, or Norway, or whatever other country, no matter how much I agreed or disagreed with their policies, I would never desecrate their national symbols. I have many problems with the government of China, if I lived in China I would pray for the soul of Xi Jingping and show all due respect for the flag of China and their history and traditions.
The measure of how free a nation is how it treats those who criticize the nation.

If you want to turn the US into the USSR, where no amount of criticism is tolerated without severe punishment, then by all means punish those who are critical. But don't try to pretend that you support freedom, because it is very obvious that you don't. The US is clearly too moral and too tolerant for the likes of you. You need to find yourself a nice fascist nation where they do not tolerate any dissent, like Canada or the UK. You would obviously be happier where government censors the speech they don't like, because you make for a piss-poor American.

It could certainly be considered an inchoate offense.

It could be argued that if someone walked into a crowded VFW on Memorial Day and burned an American flag it was with the intent to incite violence. For example, under federal law it could include: 18 U.S. Code § 373 (Solicitation to Commit a Crime of Violence) or
18 U.S. Code § 2101 (Conspiracy to Incite a Riot)
well, the VFW would be private property, not the public square...so, they should not be burning flags in buildings....they can be charged for it, just not because it was flag burning, but burning of anything.

Never heard of “freedom of expression”?

Also would the “ban on antisocial behavior” include things like advocating for an end to the American system of government and its replacement by a Catholic Absolute Monarchy?

So when you advocate for the overthrow of the American system of government and it’s replacement by a Catholic Absolute Monarchy, thereby destroying the country of the United States of America, you are engaging in immorality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom