• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Race Is the Issue, Misleading Coverage Sets Off an Uproar

The Dane

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
In the last couple of days, Andrew Breitbart, a conservative Web site operator, has been called a liar, a provocateur, a propagandist — and even a race-baiter. But he says he knows who the true race-baiters are: some Democratic activists.

It was one of Mr. Breitbart’s Web sites, BigGovernment, that highlighted the heavily edited video clip of Shirley Sherrod, a black official at the Department of Agriculture, apparently saying that she had been biased against a white farmer she was supposed to help. Ms. Sherrod’s full speech actually demonstrated the opposite, but do not expect Mr. Breitbart to be embarrassed.

He says there is an election-year strategy under way to “falsely malign opponents of the Democratic party as racist” and that he will continue to fight it.

“It’s warfare out there,” he said in an interview on Sunday.

snip...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/business/media/26race.html?src=busln

This is more obvious proof that Fox news is a right wing propaganda machine. Andrew Breitbart, who also started the same Acorn prostitution ring, another quick edited video picked up by Fox news and found to be false later.

All one has to do is watch Fox news for 30 minutes and compare it to any other main stream media outlet to see that not only are they propaganda, but the overall taste and level of professional journalism is a disgrace and a horrible shame.

I challenge anyone here to give specific examples of this level of bias and lack of truth in any other media organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, there are many, many more. But it's obvious that whatever is posted, you'll simply dismiss it all.

More on Ed Schultz:

Search | NewsBusters.org

On MSNBC in general:

Search | NewsBusters.org

On CNN:

Search | NewsBusters.org

Etc., etc.

If you're going to dismiss these dozens of examples of exactly what you asked for, you're going to have do it substantively; just attacking the website won't do it. They make their cases at each point. Refute them.

Everyone has an agenda, and every major news source is propaganda in the strictest sense, simply based on what they choose to report or not to report. It's funny, actually, that media is even thought to be ideally neutral today. A hundred years ago, newspapers stated their political affiliations and leanings openly, so readers knew what they were getting in to. Neutrality is a myth, whether your looking at Fox News, MSNBC, or any other media distributor. Whether a person sees an outlet as propaganda largely seems to be dependent on what which side she takes. Propaganda distributed by her side will be news. Propaganda distributed by the other side will be shameless propaganda. If a person really wants the news, she will have to learn to read between the lines.

Cheers,

The Black Sheep

CNN's Lou Dobbs Claims Shot Fired at Home, Wife | NewsBusters.org

Here's another one that shows bias.

As Far as Sherrod and Fox. Fox had nothing to do with her resignation. She was forced out by the WH. They didn't air anything until after she resigned.
Blame Brietbart if you want, but that just says that the WH responded to a blogger. In that case maybe Brietbart should remind everyone of Harry Rieds comments. You know, the ones about Obama not having a Negro dialect unless he wanted one. Maybe they would have another knee jerk reaction and say Bye Bye Harry before Nov.
Fox was totally innocent in this. All they did was report the news.
NAACP had the full tape (Fox didn't) and they praised the Obama administration for throwing Sherrod under the bus. Where is their accountability?
This whole thing was a set up to try and bring down Fox once and for all.
Liberals are all for free speech as long as that speech reflects their own (Obamas) agendas.
They preach tolerance except for tolerance toward conservatives of any color, gender,religion, or sexual orientation. Then they think it is their duty to demonize and try to silence them.

You know, I don't care if fox or any news agency led to her firing. Honestly, Vilsac and Obama and the NAACP really should have watched the entire speech. They are to blame for her firing.

That said, Fox and others were quite rabid early and often, and quite off the mark. They too should have watched all of it.

So, for me, none of them get a pass.

You know, I don't care if fox or any news agency led to her firing. Honestly, Vilsac and Obama and the NAACP really should have watched the entire speech. They are to blame for her firing.

That said, Fox and others were quite rabid early and often, and quite off the mark. They too should have watched all of it.

So, for me, none of them get a pass.

And if they didn't have all of it?

And if they didn't have all of it?

Well, others got it, so I'm sure they culd as well. It would be important to actually hear all of it beforemaking a decision.

Well, others got it, so I'm sure they culd as well. It would be important to actually hear all of it beforemaking a decision.

Brietbart didn't have it. The NAACP did have it yet they praised the WH for her resignation. You blame everyone for being snookered yet you don't say anything about the NAACP. If they were fooled, then anyone could have been. If anyone had the chance to view the whole tape before passing judgement it was the NAACP.

As Far as Sherrod and Fox. Fox had nothing to do with her resignation. She was forced out by the WH. They didn't air anything until after she resigned.

That is correct.

Fox was totally innocent in this. All they did was report the news.

You have to be freaking kidding me. Are your standards that low? After the firing, they had a field day damning Sherrod. Is that okay with you? They are suppose to inform, not mislead. But they got this one completely wrong. I don't call that reporting the news.

NAACP had the full tape (Fox didn't) and they praised the Obama administration for throwing Sherrod under the bus. Where is their accountability?

They should be accountable as they knee-jerked and did the wrong thing.

This whole thing was a set up to try and bring down Fox once and for all.

Yes, that was Brietbart's master plan when he posted the video that morning. :roll::doh

Liberals are all for free speech as long as that speech reflects their own (Obamas) agendas.
They preach tolerance except for tolerance toward conservatives of any color, gender,religion, or sexual orientation. Then they think it is their duty to demonize and try to silence them.

Blah, blah, blah. Do yourself a big favour and turn off Rush.

Is foxnews.com part of Fox? Here is a screen grab of an article they put online 7/19. They subsequently took it down.

0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

"You have to be freaking kidding me. Are your standards that low? After the firing, they had a field day damning Sherrod. Is that okay with you? They are suppose to inform, not mislead. But they got this one completely wrong. I don't call that reporting the news."

Fox was reporting the news. They had no idea the Sherrod tape was out of context. Had it been a white conservative saying they sent a black person to his own kind, Maddow would have been peeing herself with excitement and would have dedicated half her show to it.

Yes, that was Brietbart's master plan when he posted the video that morning. :roll::doh

No, but isn't it possible whoever sent him the tape, knew what his reaction would be and that fox would pick up on it? Far fetched and just speculation on my part. More likely it was the left trying to take advantage of the "crisis" of someone being wronged so blame Fox.

Blah, blah, blah. Do yourself a big favour and turn off Rush.

Perhaps you should turn off MSNBC

Is foxnews.com part of Fox? Here is a screen grab of an article they put online 7/19. They subsequently took it down.

Was this story posted before or after she was fired????

Answer: AFTER

There are people who think Fox did nothing wrong? They replayed a person's comments - taken out of context - from a source they knew was unreliable. As a "news" organization, you only report what you know to be true, and therefore should have been on the air with the rest of the speech the moment she resigned, questioning the decision.

It's amazing how many conservatives (Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich) have come out and said that they trusted Breitbart's story because the White House forced her to resign. In other words, the administration that they've spent the last two years telling us lies and can't be counted on has miraculously overnight become the gold standard in reliability. Weak, really weak.

Last edited:
[/I]
Perhaps you should turn off MSNBC

Yes, we couldn't possibly blame Breitbart for releasing the tape without first actually figuring out the facts, or Fox News for running with it and passing further judgment upon it.

It's obviously the NAACP's fault.

eusa_doh.gif

Yes, we couldn't possibly blame Breitbart for releasing the tape without first actually figuring out the facts, or Fox News for running with it and passing further judgment upon it.

It's obviously the NAACP's fault.

eusa_doh.gif

Figure out what facts ?? Breitbart posted the pertinent parts of her speech in their entirety. There was no deception on his part.

Breibart didn't condemn Sherrod the way the NAACP did or call for her firing as the Obama administration did.

You're mad at the wrong people.

You know what I find interesting in all of this? That people have completely lost sight of why Breitbart posted that footage in the first place. He did it to demonstrate how the NAACP and their members have no problem with, and seem to actually embrace racism, when it's against white people. He was pointing out how when Sherrod stated (before she shared that it was a lesson) how she discriminated against a white farmer because he was white, and how the audience at the NAACP reacted. They displayed no outrage, and in fact you could hear laughter if I remember correctly, while the Tea Party people have very openly condemned racism, and confronted people who are racists that have showed up at their events.

That's what this thing was originally about, but I wouldn't expect the media, especially the very liberal NY Times, to bother discussing that aspect.

I'm sorry....what was "found to be false" about the ACORN videos?

I'm sorry....what was "found to be false" about the ACORN videos?

doctored videos, and acorn was cleared of all charges, as were their employees. i believe the "documentary" makers are being sued.

Figure out what facts ?? Breitbart posted the pertinent parts of her speech in their entirety. There was no deception on his part.

Breibart didn't condemn Sherrod the way the NAACP did or call for her firing as the Obama administration did.

You're mad at the wrong people.

no, he did not. he failed to post the whole point of her story. that's a fact.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/business/media/26race.html?src=busln

This is more obvious proof that Fox news is a right wing propaganda machine. Andrew Breitbart, who also started the same Acorn prostitution ring, another quick edited video picked up by Fox news and found to be false later.

All one has to do is watch Fox news for 30 minutes and compare it to any other main stream media outlet to see that not only are they propaganda, but the overall taste and level of professional journalism is a disgrace and a horrible shame.

I challenge anyone here to give specific examples of this level of bias and lack of truth in any other media organization.

I don't spend my days watching liberal loving media outlets to nitpick every word and story they propogate - I'm sure if I did I'd find some serious meat to sink my teeth into. But I'm not full of vengeful snobbery that way - I consider all 24/7 news channels to be full of **** and avoid them all equally.

That being said - you need to seriously learn that "a truncated video" which is what the NAACP video *was* when first released - is FAR different than a "lightly" or "heavily edited" video. . . in which various section are removed and what's left is hobnobbed together.

The NAACP video was *not* edited - it was just hacked down to one section. If you're going to hold it against them you need to really square away your P's and Q's.

That being said - in that section of her speech which was initially released, when she said she was racist in her initial thoughts - the audience cheered and supported her. Do you have a problem with that? If it was unacceptable to *be* racist - shouldn't they have *booed* her or at least remained *quiet* while she told the rest of her story rather than cheer and root her on in support of her racist actions? The audience had *no clue* that her story was going to turn into a story of change and positive behavior.

I think people are focusing on *what happened to Sherrod* rather than *how the audience approved of her actions which she presented in her own speech*

doctored videos, and acorn was cleared of all charges, as were their employees. i believe the "documentary" makers are being sued.

Doctored videos how? How many people that were fired got their jobs back?

Back
Top Bottom