• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When people have a hole in their life, they often fill it with angry politics.

ipsofacto

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How Loneliness Is Tearing America Apart

America is suffering an epidemic of loneliness.

According to a recent large-scale survey from the health care provider Cigna, most Americans suffer from strong feelings of loneliness and a lack of significance in their relationships. Nearly half say they sometimes or always feel alone or “left out.” Thirteen percent of Americans say that zero people know them well. The survey, which charts social isolation using a common measure known as the U.C.L.A. Loneliness Scale, shows that loneliness is worse in each successive generation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/opinion/loneliness-political-polarization.html

Wanted to see what others thought of this editorial by the president of the American Enterprise Institute. Chutzpah on his part, I believe.

There's no way stupid people are lonely.

We have gotten away from self-reliance, imo. Many people are not comfortable in their own skin. If people are not happy with themselves, they will never be happy in social groups. Americans began as individuals and we have gotten away from that.

You know, I find this plausible. I think people who obsess over things like politics may not be getting enough stimulation or excitement out of their “real life”. And I would guess that I and many members here fall into that category from time to time at least.

According to a recent large-scale survey from the health care provider Cigna, most Americans suffer from strong feelings of loneliness and a lack of significance in their relationships. Nearly half say they sometimes or always feel alone or “left out.” Thirteen percent of Americans say that zero people know them well. The survey, which charts social isolation using a common measure known as the U.C.L.A. Loneliness Scale, shows that loneliness is worse in each successive generation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/opinion/loneliness-political-polarization.html

Wanted to see what others thought of this editorial by the president of the American Enterprise Institute. Chutzpah on his part, I believe.

Interesting to see this given that on the way back home today I saw this billboard:

Screen-Shot-2018-11-14-at-15.12.06.jpg

Interesting to see how Senator Sasse is building on the ideas of Hillary Clinton's It Takes A Village.

The article itself is kind of a cliche, even ending with a variant of Do Unto Others ....or Love Thy Neighbor.

But there is a basic truth that people who are isolated, or who isolate themselves, are easily converted to activities in which they can express their anger.

Interesting to see this given that on the way back home today I saw this billboard:

Many right wingers (I won't call them conservatives) think we all have to believe the same thing or our nation will collapse.

Interesting to see how Senator Sasse is building on the ideas of Hillary Clinton's It Takes A Village.

The article itself is kind of a cliche, even ending with a variant of Do Unto Others ....or Love Thy Neighbor.

But there is a basic truth that people who are isolated, or who isolate themselves, are easily converted to activities in which they can express their anger.

I watched Senator Sasse on the Judiciary Committee. Eventually I had to turn the sound off when he talked. He loved pretending to be a non-partisan thinker but always concluded with the same right wing talking points as everyone else.

IMO isolation has become part of society oddly enough as a direct result of communication technology.

How many people have seen kids sitting together at a table in the mall, or at a park texting or calling each other instead of actually talking face to face? Talked to friends and family over skype but haven't visited them in a while?

We have more and more people walling themselves off behind their handheld and desktop communication systems and failing to maintain actual personal interactions.

IMO so many people are talking through twitter, Facebook, email, video, etc., all the while seeking "likes" from a million of their "closest friends" (that they've never met) to reassure themselves that they are worthwhile...that they've seriously weakened their ability to interact without these technical filters.

(EDIT: I'd like to add the fear factor which developed from "stranger-danger" over the last few decades leading to helicopter parenting which keeps kids in the home or at school and doesn't allow them to explore and interact as they grow up unless it is in a highly controlled environment.)

Last edited:
IMO isolation has become part of society as a direct result of communication technology.

I think that is a very large part of it.

I stopped in a pizza place the other day. There was a Mom with three boys, ages approx 5, 7, 9. Each boy had an I pad. Mom had her phone. They sat and ate lunch each with their own private screen, never said a word to each other. It was a very sad sight.

..... it's a rather major difference that Sasse wants that Village to be a Village, whereas Clinton wants that Village to be Federal Bureaucrats interfering with your life.

Yup. :( All those bonds of our society that used to hold us together have been straining and breaking... and the result is unhealthy, and sometimes, disastrous.

I watched Senator Sasse on the Judiciary Committee. Eventually I had to turn the sound off when he talked. He loved pretending to be a non-partisan thinker but always concluded with the same right wing talking points as everyone else.

:lol: Good Point. Everyone knows it's impossible for a thinking individual operating in good faith to come to differing conclusions than yourself :D

..... it's a rather major difference that Sasse wants that Village to be a Village, whereas Clinton wants that Village to be Federal Bureaucrats interfering with your life.

Yup. :( All those bonds of our society that used to hold us together have been straining and breaking... and the result is unhealthy, and sometimes, disastrous.

I see you never read It Takes A Village, just making an assumption on your biased opinion.

Clinton notes in the book many institutions responsible in some way for raising children, including: direct family, grandparents, neighbors, teachers, ministers, doctors, employers, politicians, nonprofits, faith communities, businesses, and international governmental groups.

:lol: Good Point. Everyone knows it's impossible for a thinking individual operating in good faith to come to differing conclusions than yourself :D

Absolutely not what I said. Unlike Senator Sasse, I would never present my political view as being anything other than what they are. Mr Sasse tried to lecture the Committee on being fair and judicious--which he clearly was not.

Notice the blue font for the word "Left"?
I'm surprised that they missed the chance to say:

Opinion done Right.

Notice the blue font for the word "Left"?

Yep. The image I posted isn't in the same location as the one I saw but indeed the same sign with "left" in blue. I immediately thought of this sign after reading the OP because it seemed a perfect fit to satiating the need of those feeling lonely in a place which leans to the left.

The author of this editorial is the president of the American Enterprise Institute. An institution dedicated to advocating for unregulated capitalism without regard to how it affects the entire society. Ben Sasse, author of a book referenced in the editorial, is another right winger who believes in capitalism without regard to how it affects the rest of the nation.

Absolutely not what I said. Unlike Senator Sasse, I would never present my political view as being anything other than what they are. Mr Sasse tried to lecture the Committee on being fair and judicious--which he clearly was not.

That (aside from being a deflection from the thread topic) is YOUR opinion, NOT a fact.

IMO Mr. Sasses is a breath of fresh air, and I admire his views. I think he was right on target during that judiciary hearing.

Now back to the thread issue...what has this to do with a decrease in interpersonal communications and more people becoming isolated leading to "angry politics?"

I see you never read It Takes A Village, just making an assumption on your biased opinion.

You know what - that is a fair critique. I have built an opinion of it based on reviews.

I am not sure, however, that this:

Clinton notes in the book many institutions responsible in some way for raising children, including: direct family, grandparents, neighbors, teachers, ministers, doctors, employers, politicians, nonprofits, faith communities, businesses, and international governmental groups.

obviates the point that Clinton wants government to take on roles best filled (certainly, at least, according to Sasse) by civic society.

That (aside from being a deflection from the thread topic) is YOUR opinion, NOT a fact.

IMO Mr. Sasses is a breath of fresh air, and I admire his views. I think he was right on target during that judiciary hearing.

Now back to the tread issue...what has this to do with a decrease in interpersonal communications and more people becoming isolated leading to "angry politics?"

If you read the editorial--which you did not--you would have know that Ben Sasse's book was discussed.

That does, indeed, seem to be what you are saying. Sasse made arguments that are commonly made by conservatives, ergo, he wasn't being fair and judicious.

Now, the loneliness issue may not seem too serious to some people but, this article basically describes me. All I do is go to work, workout three times a week, go home, watch TV, and repeat. My best friend lives in Florida so we only actually see each other like one or two times a year. I have no other friends IRL otherwise. I get very anxious upon entering into social situations on my own and unless it's a family obligation I generally do not feel like participating in them. I know it's generally fine once I do join and that people are accepting of me when I do join in, but it's easier to just say no, even though I always regret it after I don't go. YES, I know it's not logical!

I think part of this has to do with the way that social media has brainwashed me into thinking that I cannot have fun at these seemingly unimportant, mundane, money-costing events that I actually have access to and that all different people I follow on social media and some friends from HS/College are jet-setting around the world to fancy conferences and exotic locations. Logically I know that these people have way more problems than I do, and that they are just putting their best foot forward online to make it seem like they are living it up, but it's tough when I barely do things that are even remotely picturesque. YES, I know it's not logical!

Where I work it's mostly old ladies who are married with families. (Even the single girls have kids and I'm not ready for that). So yeah there are large bouts of time in the early evenings or at night when I am watching TV and feel pretty lonely. I just deleted all my online dating apps because the people I "met" there were full of scams, flakes, losers, and bitches. I never really got a connection from any of the dates/meets as I'm the type of person it takes time to warm up to. So once those apps started going the route of picture perfect/catchy headlines A+. People like me were finished. The sparks never happened on a first date and I don't think I've ever felt them. EVER! YES, I know it's not logical!

Now, I'm no incel, I'm not suicidal, I don't hate the world. I love life in general and always have a smile on my face/joking around. I'm eternally optimistic that things will work out because when I do attempt to do stuff they generally do. I have a car, an apartment, a pet, a paycheck from a job I generally enjoy, a (pretty useless) degree, no jail record. I've kept myself out of doing drugs and drinking alcohol for all my life and I live a pretty clean, healthy and comfortable lifestyle otherwise... I don't know how the heck this has happened to me but I'm trying to sort it all out and it's not as easy as going out or joining clubs.

So it ain't just the angry ones.

Last edited:
That does, indeed, seem to be what you are saying. Sasse made arguments that are commonly made by conservatives, ergo, he wasn't being fair and judicious.

No. But...me lib you con...we must fight...boring.

If you read the editorial--which you did not--you would have know that Ben Sasse's book was discussed.

Yes I did read the article, but your response was to attack the messenger, not the message. That is a fallacious response, and I called you on it.

I ask again, what did you find wrong with the issue posted, as opposed to denigrating a person involved in raising it? After all, your OP seems to agree with him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom