• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Japan bombed the west coast

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The day Japan bombed the American west coast in September of 1942 was nothing comparable to the Battle of Los Angeles that was fought back in February of 1942 over the Sky's of L.A. No movie was ever made about the Japs (pc incorrect) bombing Oregon where as the Hollywood Left made a revisionist movie about the Battle of L.A. titled "1941" staring Dan Aykroyd, Ned Beatty, John Belushi, John Candy, Christopher Lee, Slim Pickens and Robert Stack. < 1941 (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia >

Battle of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the bombing of Oregon and the Battle of L.A. both happened.

Japanese Plane Bombed Oregon

September 9, 1942, the I-25 B1 type Japanese submarine was cruising in an easterly direction raising its periscope occasionally as it neared the United States Coastline. The B1 type was the most numerous class of Japanese submarines. They were fast, long-ranged, and carried a seaplane behind watertight doors, which could be launched on a forward catapult.

Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor less than a year ago and the Captain of the attack submarine knew that Americans were watching their coast line for ships and aircraft that might attack our country. Dawn was approaching; the first rays of the sun were flickering off the periscopes lens. Their mission; attack the west coast with incendiary bombs in hopes of starting a devastating forest fire. If this test run were successful, Japan had hopes of using their huge submarine fleet to attack the eastern end of the Panama Canal to slow down shipping from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The Japanese Navy had a large number of I-400 submarines under construction. Each capable of carrying three aircraft. Pilot Chief Warrant Officer Nobuo Fujita and his crewman Petty Officer Shoji Okuda were making last minute checks of their charts making sure they matched those of the submarine’s navigator.

September 9, 1942: Nebraska forestry student Keith V. Johnson was on duty atop a forest fire lookout tower between Gold’s Beach and Brookings Oregon. Keith had memorized the silhouettes of Japanese long distance bombers and those of our own aircraft. He felt confident that he could spot and identify, friend or foe, almost immediately. It was cold on the coast this September morning , and quiet. The residents of the area were still in bed or preparing to head for work. Lumber was a large part of the industry in Brookings, just a few miles north of the California Oregon state lines.

continue-> Japanese Plane Bombed Oregon in 1942

The day Japan bombed the American west coast in September of 1942…

Earlier that year, in February, there was a devastating attack carried out by a Japanese submarine against some oil fields in Ellwood, California (perhaps a dozen miles or so down the coast from Santa Barbara). The Ellwood Pier was slightly damaged, and a derrick and a pumphouse were destroyed. When the damaged pier was later dismantled, some of the wood therefrom was used to build a restaurant not far away. I've eaten at that restaurant. I just now went looking for a web site for that restaurant, to include a link in this post. Alas, this is what I found.

Earlier that year, in February, there was a devastating attack carried out by a Japanese submarine against some oil fields in Ellwood, California (perhaps a dozen miles or so down the coast from Santa Barbara). The Ellwood Pier was slightly damaged, and a derrick and a pumphouse were destroyed. When the damaged pier was later dismantled, some of the wood therefrom was used to build a restaurant not far away. I've eaten at that restaurant. I just now went looking for a web site for that restaurant, to include a link in this post. Alas, this is what I found.

The Timbers rings a bell but I don't think I ever ate there. I have a friend who owns a ranch above Goleta.

The Elwood/Goleta shelling from the Japanese sub I-17 happened the day before the Battle of L.A.

In the movie "1941" the Japanese sub I-17 is portrayed in the movie. When one of the Japanese officers is looking through the periscope and sees a blond naked woman swimming an tells the captain "Hollywood." Then they captured Slim Pickens.

I believe just off shore of San Pedro three ships were torpedoed by Japanese subs during 1942.

The Timbers rings a bell but I don't think I ever ate there. I have a friend who owns a ranch above Goleta.

The Elwood/Goleta shelling from the Japanese sub I-17 happened the day before the Battle of L.A.

In the movie "1941" the Japanese sub I-17 is portrayed in the movie. When one of the Japanese officers is looking through the periscope and sees a blond naked woman swimming an tells the captain "Hollywood." Then they captured Slim Pickens.

I believe just off shore of San Pedro three ships were torpedoed by Japanese subs during 1942.

Battle of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, a false alarm suddenly turns into a heroic battle

There was no "Battle of Los Angeles" there wasn't even any enemy aircraft over Los Angeles. You can't have a battle if there's no enemy present.

Also no movie has ever been made about the Japanese bombing Oregon because nothing happened, a single plane dropped TWO bombs that caused no damage to anything whatsoever and that's it. Its not about political correctness its about there being no story to tell.

But don't let that stand in the way of your self-made victimhood.

The Japanese did far more damage with the weather balloons that they let up into the jetstream that landed in the forests.

Between November 1944 and April 1945, the Japanese Navy launched over 9,000 fire balloons toward North America. Carried by the recently discovered Pacific jet stream, they were to sail over the Pacific Ocean and land in North America, where the Japanese hoped they would start forest fires and cause other damage. About three hundred were reported as reaching North America, but little damage was caused. Six people (five children and a woman) became the only deaths due to enemy action to occur on mainland America during World War II when one of the children tampered with a bomb from a balloon near Bly, Oregon and it exploded.[29] The site is marked by a stone monument at the Mitchell Recreation Area in the Fremont-Winema National Forest. Recently released reports by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canadian military indicate that fire balloons reached as far inland as Manitoba. A fire balloon is also considered to be a possible cause of the third fire in the Tillamook Burn. One member of the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion died while responding to a fire in the Northwest on August 6, 1945; other casualties of the 555th were two fractures and 20 other injuries.

American Theater (World War II) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom