• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When it intrudes into my life

code1211

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have been a victim of crime when a passerby found my car unlocked and stole my guitar and tape player. Cassette deck. It's been a while since I haven't locked my car.

I also was the victim of speed trap in which the speed limit on a US Highway was reduced to 30 mph and the local constable gave me a ticket. A real Mayberry moment.

In both cases, I felt like my world had been invaded and tarnished. Losing the guitar was like a personal invasion and the speed trap was like a bullying incident.

Now we find the Race Wars beginning to start and I find that the current events have invaded my life again. Following the events of the recent days, my world is changed on a personal level. I don't like it.

It's hard to define a feeling. I "feel" like there is a separation suddenly erected between me and others. Little things. Postures, averted looks, pretended interest in the cell phone for no reason and all seemingly rising from the presence of different races.

On an elevator yesterday, a Black gentleman in a suit entered the elevator to join myself and another White guy. The other White guy was about my age with long-ish grey hair. Both of us, refugees from the Viet Nam era. The Black Guy seemed to be about 40 years old and seemed uneasy after the elevator doors closed. Any or all of us could have been seated at the same table in a conference room. There were about 20 floors to reach the lobby. He reached for his Apple phone like he suddenly had something to do. He stared at the screen, but did nothing. It seemed to me that there was tension in the air.

I've been on that same elevator many time with many skin colors and many nationalities and never had that feeling before. It was eerie and uncomfortable. I blame the hate mongers and divisionists in our society.

All of this went on in the time it takes to on-board an express elevator and for the doors to shut. 3 or 4 seconds? Seemed like a long 3 or 4 seconds. Everyone on the elevator was tense. Not a big deal, but it was. Why do I have to feel oppressed by the ginned up hatred of the politicians trying to sell their brand of hate? Why are there people dredging up bias and prejudice that is outdated and way past its sell-by date? Why?

I chuckled and offered that the world changed when "we all" got smart phones. The black guy looked at me to find a friendly, albeit, White face and laughed, too. The tension was abated and his posture and facial expression both softened. We agreed that our kids know more about smart phones than we do and that the Pacers are not going to be champs next year or any year to come as Durant is now with the Warriors. Turns out he and I both bought shares of Ford after the recent drop in Stocks.

Point is, if we had gone to the same high school or worked in the same office or went to the same church and knew each other, we probably would have been friends because we share various areas of commonality. However, because of the state of affairs put forth by current events and shaped by the A-holes who shape these things, there was tension between us. No reason. Just because.

This hate crap has intruded into my life and I don't like it.

I have been a victim of crime when a passerby found my car unlocked and stole my guitar and tape player. Cassette deck. It's been a while since I haven't locked my car.

I also was the victim of speed trap in which the speed limit on a US Highway was reduced to 30 mph and the local constable gave me a ticket. A real Mayberry moment.

In both cases, I felt like my world had been invaded and tarnished. Losing the guitar was like a personal invasion and the speed trap was like a bullying incident.

Now we find the Race Wars beginning to start and I find that the current events have invaded my life again. Following the events of the recent days, my world is changed on a personal level. I don't like it.

It's hard to define a feeling. I "feel" like there is a separation suddenly erected between me and others. Little things. Postures, averted looks, pretended interest in the cell phone for no reason and all seemingly rising from the presence of different races.

On an elevator yesterday, a Black gentleman in a suit entered the elevator to join myself and another White guy. The other White guy was about my age with long-ish grey hair. Both of us, refugees from the Viet Nam era. The Black Guy seemed to be about 40 years old and seemed uneasy after the elevator doors closed. Any or all of us could have been seated at the same table in a conference room. There were about 20 floors to reach the lobby. He reached for his Apple phone like he suddenly had something to do. He stared at the screen, but did nothing. It seemed to me that there was tension in the air.

I've been on that same elevator many time with many skin colors and many nationalities and never had that feeling before. It was eerie and uncomfortable. I blame the hate mongers and divisionists in our society.

All of this went on in the time it takes to on-board an express elevator and for the doors to shut. 3 or 4 seconds? Seemed like a long 3 or 4 seconds. Everyone on the elevator was tense. Not a big deal, but it was. Why do I have to feel oppressed by the ginned up hatred of the politicians trying to sell their brand of hate? Why are there people dredging up bias and prejudice that is outdated and way past its sell-by date? Why?

I chuckled and offered that the world changed when "we all" got smart phones. The black guy looked at me to find a friendly, albeit, White face and laughed, too. The tension was abated and his posture and facial expression both softened. We agreed that our kids know more about smart phones than we do and that the Pacers are not going to be champs next year or any year to come as Durant is now with the Warriors. Turns out he and I both bought shares of Ford after the recent drop in Stocks.

Point is, if we had gone to the same high school or worked in the same office or went to the same church and knew each other, we probably would have been friends because we share various areas of commonality. However, because of the state of affairs put forth by current events and shaped by the A-holes who shape these things, there was tension between us. No reason. Just because.

If hate mongers hadn't any justified gripes, the hate would evaporate. As it is, they obviously think the gripes legitimate.

Now we find the Race Wars beginning to start

stopped reading there. sorry about your guitar, though. that sucks.

Excellent piece. I suggest you put this in letter form and send it to your nearest newspaper's Letters to the Editor department. There's mich to be learned from it. And much to think about.

stopped reading there. sorry about your guitar, though. that sucks.

That was a long time ago. About 33 years. Led to buying a much better guitar, so, there's that.

Freedom of speech includes my right to express thought. That freedom includes no compulsion to have anyone read them.

You feel that there is no political reason to gin up tensions based on the race baiting continuously used by both political parties?

The main thrust from the social warrior set in the last few decades has been to educate us all on how different we are from one another. I was raised to see the similarities and I've always been uncomfortable with this resurgence of highlighting differences.

That was a long time ago. About 33 years. Led to buying a much better guitar, so, there's that.

Freedom of speech includes my right to express thought. That freedom includes no compulsion to have anyone read them.

You feel that there is no political reason to gin up tensions based on the race baiting continuously used by both political parties?

"race war" nonsense is stormfronter fantasy ****. i can't take the OP seriously after that line, so there's really no point.

I have been a victim of crime...

I don't allow myself to be a victim. I make mistakes, I fix them, live with them and move on.

My world is wonderful, meaning I have my God, family, health, and I have many great things I have been blessed with. And I am grateful. I'll leave all the hate for someone else to deal with.

"race war" nonsense is stormfronter fantasy ****. i can't take the OP seriously after that line, so there's really no point.

Your choice.

I've noticed something similar; just the other day I sat down on the train and couldn't help thinking something along the lines of "I'm sitting next to a Black Man. I wonder what he thinks of the White Man beside him?"

I've noticed something similar; just the other day I sat down on the train and couldn't help thinking something along the lines of "I'm sitting next to a Black Man. I wonder what he thinks of the White Man beside him?"

That is what I'm saying exactly.

In the 70's, that was a fairly common thought to have.

We had come a long way and now there are powerful factions in our society trying to take us back there.

It's not a good thing that is happening to us as a society right now. I don't like it.

I've often thought that if a bad thing is to be avoided or reduced, it must first be recognized. This thing is happening and organizations are using people like tools to advance the petty political goals of the major political parties. Again.

I've often thought that if a bad thing is to be avoided or reduced, it must first be recognized. This thing is happening and organizations are using people like tools to advance the petty political goals of the major political parties. Again.

Bad things aren't being avoided because bad things is exactly what those people want. Last year BO invited the founders of BLM into the White House essentially green lighting the whole mess. This whole mess is a repeat of the 60's and is a product of liberalism.

got ya

went to the mall last week and saw two middle eastern men fully garbed and felt fear in my heart for no other reason than how they were dressed

I checked them out...they were speaking together and laughing over a lottery ticket and the one guy did a little quick step dance of joy and I felt shame

I HATE that I felt fear, I hate it

I don't allow myself to be a victim. I make mistakes, I fix them, live with them and move on.

My world is wonderful, meaning I have my God, family, health, and I have many great things I have been blessed with. And I am grateful. I'll leave all the hate for someone else to deal with.
except for lefties ... you carry hate in your heart for them and that's a good thing no?

Tell that to the officers of Dallas... The family of that dead woman in Tennessee...

Excellent piece. I suggest you put this in letter form and send it to your nearest newspaper's Letters to the Editor department. There's mich to be learned from it. And much to think about.

Yes, there is...including the possibility of misinterpretation and consideration of the rules of elevator etiquette--going to the far corner, not making direct eye contact in such a small space and looking instead at the numbers or your shoes or watch or phone.

I wonder sometimes if race relations really aren't as bad as they seem to be. What if it's just the media blowing it out of proportion so flagrantly that it appears to be worse, in a desperate ratings grab?

For instance...I believe other heinous acts (e.g. child abduction) are probably no more frequent now, than they were 20-30 years ago. It's just that the media pounces on it at every turn, and headlines it. What used to rarely be seen in the media is now rampant. We're subject to overblown pieces where a child almost gets taken. We've got websites now that point out the addresses of every "sex offender," when the vast majority of them were just busted for paying a prostitute.

What if we had websites that pointed out addresses of "racists?" Hell, the whole country would be red. Millions of people labeled "racist" simply because someone overheard them saying the "N-word," regardless of context. We'd be a nation of people walking around thinking EVERYONE around us was hateful and racist, when that clearly would not be the case. ...but we're told it is true, so we believe it.

Not a dream. More like a nightmare.

But it's exaggerated statements just like yours that people easily buy into which helps to create and feed this type of public frenzy that we're now seeing. You seem like a fairly intelligent guy.....can't you see that?

And only in your head. No offense, but you are being paranoid.

Only in his head? You're not paying attention, are you? If you had, you wouldn't say it was only in his head. At worse, you could say that he is exaggerating the problem but there is a kernel of truth in there.

Back
Top Bottom