• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When is it too late to have an abortion?

Hasn't the age been raised to 25 now?
IMO, a woman has the Right to choose an abortion at any time prior to birth, and perhaps by law should continue to have that Right even immediately after birth if/when unforeseen circumstances are presented.

I found it handy at times to remind my kids that while we were past the point where abortion is an option, adoption is still on the table.

Laws against anything don't prevent all of what they're intended to. That doesn't mean crime should be legalized.

Would you be in favor of a law banning abortion if (1) the child is in his or her 8th month or later, (2) is healthy, and (2) the mother is well-off and has good family support?

What I'm trying to figure out is if there are any conditions under which abortion should be legally restricted, in your opinion.

When is it too late? When it looks you in the eyes.

Never, although it is reasonable to restrict abortions in the third trimester to medical necessity only.

Would you be in favor of a law banning abortion if (1) the child is in his or her 8th month or later, (2) is healthy, and (2) the mother is well-off and has good family support?What I'm trying to figure out is if there are any conditions under which abortion should be legally restricted, in your opinion.

The laws preventing abortion of a genetically normal, viable, healthy fetus in the 8th-9th month are already in place. They are feticide or infanticide laws. Every state has either one or both of these laws. Any doctor performing such an abortion would lose her/his license to practice medicine and end in jail as Dr. Gosnell of the infamous Philadelphia abortion clinic found out.

By the 7th month every pregnant woman wants the baby she is carrying. If pre-eclampsia, the most common late pregnancy emergency, develops the doctor would deliver, not abort, fetus in the hope that the baby would live. The numbers of women who abort past the 7th month are tiny, the ethics and laws of abortions are overseen by the medical profession an any late term situation. These situations are never a choice and delivery of a normal, viable child is not possible.

The emphasis by the anti-abortion movement on the 1.3% of abortions that are late term is simply a stalking horse for putting restrictions on early abortions.

The emphasis by the anti-abortion movement on the 1.3% of abortions that are late term is simply a stalking horse for putting restrictions on early abortions.

So lets say some state legislature sets a specific date after which abortion is banned. That gives the anti-abortion movement another quibbling point around which to challenge legal abortion . The arguments hang heavy in the air already:
"Well if 28 weeks is the cut off point what about one day before that."
"It's the same little baby, you are murdering"
"Why is it OK to murder a tiny little homunculus one day before 28 weeks but not one day after."
" We need the cut off point at 26 weeks, so the 28 week old baby can live."
"Twenty-four weeks would be more moral"
"Twenty weeks even more moral"
"Fifteen would be better"
"Ten"

Ad nausea.

I suspect that is what is happening already anyway.
It is. The medical profession is not, as Christian anti-abortion conservatives portray, likely to act unethically, illegally or against their own and their patients best interests.

The only possible way to understand their attitude toward doctors is that they are angered by the implied contradiction of their morality about women, pregnancy and the fetus that doctors represents, hence all the furious propaganda about the lack of ethics of the medical profession aborting and killing late term babies.

It's never too late for democrats to kill a baby.

The most rational answer to the OP title question, IMO, is "Post birth" UNLESS the Woman had chose to have an abortion "Pre birth".

Well, after it's born. I happen to be one of the strange pro-choicers. Killing an unborn living human at two weeks and killing an unborn living human at eight months is all the same to me, so why make any of it illegal?

It's never too late for democrats to kill a baby.
The statistics for abortion show that conservative Christian, all of whom vote Republican actually have more abortions than pro-choice women, who usually vote Democratic.

I'm curious how do you deal with that statistic? Most pro-life Republicans simply pretend that isn't happening, remain silent, and quickly fabricate some sort of What-about attack.

The statistics for abortion show that conservative Christian, all of whom vote Republican actually have more abortions than pro-choice women, who usually vote Democratic.

I'm curious how do you deal with that statistic? Most pro-life Republicans simply pretend that isn't happening, remain silent, and quickly fabricate some sort of What-about attack.

Silence? You don't want to address this fact? Why not?

Back
Top Bottom