• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When is enough enough, liberals?

I know in Georgia Romney's distrust level was really high, even within the Republican ranks down here. There was little enthusiasm for him here. It was more anti-Obama than pro Romney. As I said back in our old days on the other site, for most Romney voters, any Tom, Dick or Harry would do. I don't know if Romney would have or wouldn't have made a good president. I do know I didn't trust him. So the question remains unanswered, would we have got the Liberal Governor Romney of MASS or the more conservative presidential nominee? Given politicians like to say what the voters like to hear, my feeling is on the former.

there were two major foundations for Romney mistrust

1) Bible thumping idiots who are distrustful of Mormons

2) populists in the GOP who don't like someone who is wealthy and has two Harvard Degrees

of course their stupidity left us with a guy whose "faith" is that of statism and also has two Ivy degrees (mainly the product of affirmative action)

Just once Polgara, I'd love to see a debate Parliament style like the British do.
At least we are going to have a "conversation" tomorrow.
Sounds like Boehner and Reid, and staffs, need to be in a separate room, by what I'm listening to.
Greetings, NIMBY. :2wave:

18 or less is a good number for a business meeting...any more and it almost becomes a conference. At least that's what I observed in the company I worked for.

Some of my best laughs these days come on the cartoon threads started by RedAkson..
If you can't laugh at all sides..
As a teacher, it was important to be humble but not a phony about it, fine line..
C. Hayes just showed a FOX Fiend loop from this AM..
I stay up late and catch up with the Military Channel every night to think of Dad..

Just last night a few of us grumpy old men were talking about the Military Channel and how it evolved from the Wings Channel that evolved from the Discovery Channel "Wings" series during the 1980s.

Back in the late 80's the Discovery Channel ran a series titled "wings" where each program was devoted to one particular aircraft. When it aired all of the engineers, mechanics, pilots in the neighborhood would gather in a house that had cable back then to watch.

It was some what technical following the development of each aircraft from drawing bord, manufacturing and flight testing. The two I enjoyed the most was the A-4 Skyhawk and F-14 Tomcat. They spent almost 15 minutes on the difficulty of developing the landing gear for the F-14. It wasn't that easy developing a landing gear that could take the impact of a F-14 hitting the deck of a carrier.

But it seems we were a minority back then. Most people wanted to watch planes flying and blowing things up so "Wings" evolved and after they had enough "Wings" programs the Discovery Channel introduced the "Wings Channel" in 1999. In 2005 the "Wings Channel" evolved into the "Military Channel."

I see you've recovered from the Braves.
Go to your other teams, works for me.
After 2008, fickle Dems lost interest and we got whacked in 2010.
After 2012, Dems have learned from 'The Who'; 'We Won't Get Fooled Again'.

Rooting for Pittsburgh tonight, I never liked the Cardinals although for a year or two, the Atlanta Crackers were part of their minor league system. The old AA Southern League. But Atlanta was a minor league team of the Braves for the most part going way back to the Boston Braves.

I remember back in Dec of 11, Jan of 12 where it looked like the Republicans would pick up around 6 senate seats, they lost two. 2014 is getting that feel also. Last month I would say the Republicans had a real good shot at 6 or 7 senate seats. But now maybe 2-4 as that window looks like it is closing again.

I was pushing for Portman. Of course I had some self interest. If Romney had won I'd most likely be on the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals :mrgreen:

Portman is a good guy for our State, and would have made a fine VP, IMO. I'm impressed with your credentials! :thumbs: Another time, perhaps?

Greetings, TurtleDude. :2wave:

Speaking of governors, LePage has now declared a civil emergency in Maine, a kind-of-sort-of Martial law.
LePage is also known as Gov. Vaseline, for those of you listening to what I am.
Then there's Gov. Ultrasound.
It just keeps getting better.
I know in Georgia Romney's distrust level was really high, even within the Republican ranks down here. There was little enthusiasm for him here. It was more anti-Obama than pro Romney. As I said back in our old days on the other site, for most Romney voters, any Tom, Dick or Harry would do. I don't know if Romney would have or wouldn't have made a good president. I do know I didn't trust him. So the question remains unanswered, would we have got the Liberal Governor Romney of MASS or the more conservative presidential nominee? Given politicians like to say what the voters like to hear, my feeling is on the former.

Just once Polgara, I'd love to see a debate Parliament style like the British do.
At least we are going to have a "conversation" tomorrow.
Sounds like Boehner and Reid, and staffs, need to be in a separate room, by what I'm listening to.

Everyone will be following this! :thumbs: It's probably what we'll be discussing here tomorrow night!

The MC has a nice mix. Top Tens are cool. Black ops. Actual footage of the last two Iraq wars.
Last night they had the British version of our Best Seals type. They often segue into interesting Science stuff for me.
Tonight looks like Nazi night, with Secrets of World War II starting at 1:00 central.
Just last night a few of us grumpy old men were talking about the Military Channel and how it evolved from the Wings Channel that evolved from the Discovery Channel "Wings" series during the 1980s.

Back in the late 80's the Discovery Channel ran a series titled "wings" where each program was devoted to one particular aircraft. When it aired all of the engineers, mechanics, pilots in the neighborhood would gather in a house that had cable back then to watch.

It was some what technical following the development of each aircraft from drawing bord, manufacturing and flight testing. The two I enjoyed the most was the A-4 Skyhawk and F-14 Tomcat. They spent almost 15 minutes on the difficulty of developing the landing gear for the F-14. It wasn't that easy developing a landing gear that could take the impact of a F-14 hitting the deck of a carrier.

But it seems we were a minority back then. Most people wanted to watch planes flying and blowing things up so "Wings" evolved and after they had enough "Wings" programs the Discovery Channel introduced the "Wings Channel" in 1999. In 2005 the "Wings Channel" evolved into the "Military Channel."

Rooting for Pittsburgh tonight, I never liked the Cardinals although for a year or two, the Atlanta Crackers were part of their minor league system. The old AA Southern League. But Atlanta was a minor league team of the Braves for the most part going way back to the Boston Braves..

Dad was stationed at Richmond, home of the AAA Braves for the Boston Braves, after Georgia. That's where I got Naturalized, even though I was born on a USAF base in England.

there were two major foundations for Romney mistrust

1) Bible thumping idiots who are distrustful of Mormons

2) populists in the GOP who don't like someone who is wealthy and has two Harvard Degrees

of course their stupidity left us with a guy whose "faith" is that of statism and also has two Ivy degrees (mainly the product of affirmative action)

Say what you will, one of the biggest distrust of Romney here in Georgia was he was from MASS and it is awful hard for someone in Georgia to trust a politician from MASS. I don't think his being Mormon had much to do with that distrust, at least where I live. I didn't trust either, so I voted for Gary Johnson. I'll be danged if I will ever for the the lesser of two evils or the least worst candidate. If you do, you still end up with a bad winner.

Speaking of governors, LePage has now declared a civil emergency in Maine, a kind-of-sort-of Martial law.
LePage is also known as Gov. Vaseline, for those of you listening to what I am.
Then there's Gov. Ultrasound.
It just keeps getting better.

So what is going on in Maine that would require a sort of martial law? I have heard nothing. But again one wouldn't hear anything with the Pirates and Cardinals game on.

I have found that your instincts can be trusted, so you may be right! I don't see him making another try, though, so we'll never know. :shrug:

Dad was stationed at Richmond, home of the AAA Braves for the Boston Braves, after Georgia. That's where I got Naturalized, even though I was born on a USAF base in England.

That's weird. My son was born in Bangkok and he was automatically considered an American and issued an American Passport shortly after birth.

I have found that your instincts can be trusted, so you may be right! I don't see him making another try, though, so we'll never know. :shrug:

No, he had his fifteen minutes of fame. well more like 6 months of fame.

That's interesting. Do you remember the name of the base ?

Are you sure you were born in the base hospital or off base ?

My best friend was born in England when his father was serving in the Air Force and stationed in England in 1951. His mother was a British subject. He was born off base in a hospital. So under U.S. law, British law and the Law of Nature aka The law of Nations, "Son follows the condition of father." So he was a U.S. citizen but not a "natural born citizen" but "native born" but also a British subject until he reached 18 years of age where he had six months decide if he was going to denounce his American citizenship and become a British subject. It was 1971 and if he decided to become a British subject he could leave America and not be drafted and sent to Vietnam. He decided to remain an American citizen and got drafted.

A year later (1952) his parents gave birth to his brother who was actually born on the USAF base hospital. He was considered an American "natural born citizen" and not a British subject.

It was funny, back then my best friend couldn't run for POTUS because he wasn't considered a natural born citizen while his younger brother was a natural born citizen.

As many of us know, an activist federal judge legislated from the bench and changed the definition of "natural born citizen" back in 2008.

If your father was an American citizen while serving in the Air Force, under U.S. law and "The Law of Nations" son follows the condition of father and you were an American citizen. If you were born on a U.S. military base over seas, you are a natural born citizen.

You older Vietnam Vets remind me of my Personal friend for 35 years or so. He's gone now, as Mom says about Dad.
That's interesting. Do you remember the name of the base ?
South Ruislip USAF..
Are you sure you were born in the base hospital or off base ?
not sure..will check with Mom..
My best friend was born in England when his father was serving in the Air Force and stationed in England in 1951.
I was born in 1953 and will be 60 on the 1st anniv. of Sandy Hook. I turned 18 in 1972, the 1st year of no 2S deferment. Bad number. Went to college, no draft--election year--cynicism won--1H for seven years. I also had to declare that year..
His mother was a British subject.
Mine too, bombing started in 1939 and as an 8-YO she had to take care of youngers..

Last edited:
Enough will be enough... when all have enough.

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much. It is whether we provide enough for those who have little."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I can't make it any more simple than that.

Liberals are committed to that principle.

Conservatives are committed to its opposite.

Conservatism doesn't merely not work, it is inherently selfish, and therefore it is evil.

Both Liberals and Conservatives want people to have everything they need its just Liberals want to take it from others to give to those who have less and Conservatives want to have them earn it themselves rather than getting a handout.

Give a man to fish teach a man to fish...in the end they both have fish but the one who is given the fish will be forced to come back for more while the man who was taught to fish will only have to rely on himself.

quoting the biggest rapist of our constitution in US history isn't going to convince most of us who actually take the concept of a limited federal government seriously

The biggest rapist of our Constitution in U.S. history is Richard Milhous Nixon.

There were many unusual decisions made, that few understand, in the last election. As it turned out, Ohio wouldn't have helped him much anyway, at least with the electoral college. :shrug: I think he would have made a good POTUS, though, but who knows? He at least would have understood the business part of the economy.

Barack Obama saved General Motors. So he's not only a better capitalist than Mitt Romney, he's a better auto executive than George Romney.

Businessmen should NEVER be trusted with running a government. I live in New Jersey, within easy range of the New York City media. Mike Bloomberg, Republican businessman, has been the City's worst Mayor in over 40 years. Jon Corzine, Democratic businessman, was a poor Governor for my home State.

Running a business is about putting profits ahead of everything, including people. Running a government is about putting people first. Businessmen do not accept this, and should never be trusted with the government.

Remember: TR, FDR, JFK and Clinton were lawyers, and did great. Eisenhower was a soldier, and did pretty well. Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter and both George Bushes were all businessmen, and all are regarded as having failed, especially economically.

I see you've recovered from the Braves.
Go to your other teams, works for me.
After 2008, fickle Dems lost interest and we got whacked in 2010.
After 2012, Dems have learned from 'The Who'; 'We Won't Get Fooled Again'.

Then let's go Stones on the GOP, so they can't get no satisfaction.

I suspect that a Romney Administration would have ended up the way Grover Norquist (I think it was Norquist who said it) said: "The only requirement for a President is that he be able to hold a pen." In other words, the Republican-led Congress would pass the laws they thought necessary, and the President would essentially rubber-stamp them.

Also, whoever conservative legal scholars wanted -- the next Alito, the next Bork, the next Haynsworth -- would have been replacing Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Antonin Scalia or Anthony Kennedy (all 4 of whom are at least 75 years old). And the Senate Democrats would have put up a fight against him that would have ended up matching a phrase I once saw Eleanor Clift use on The McLaughlin Group: "This wasn't a grilling. It wasn't even a light sautee." That, alone, even if Romney HAD been good for the economy, would have been enough to make him unacceptable.

That's domestically. In foreign policy, there might have been a few more tiffs between Romney and the Congress. Somehow, I don't think he would have preferred to have war as a first resort, no matter what his predecessor as GOP nominee, John McCain -- and already intending to be his successor as GOP nominee, Peter King -- wanted.

Granted, those are just guesses.

The biggest rapist of our Constitution in U.S. history is Richard Milhous Nixon.

Nope, but he was bad with the EPA. what he did has not become entrenched in our jurisprudential fabric. So you are wrong

I suspect that a Romney Administration would have ended up the way Grover Norquist (I think it was Norquist who said it) said: "The only requirement for a President is that he be able to hold a pen." In other words, the Republican-led Congress would pass the laws they thought necessary, and the President would essentially rubber-stamp them.

Also, whoever conservative legal scholars wanted -- the next Alito, the next Bork, the next Haynsworth -- would have been replacing Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Antonin Scalia or Anthony Kennedy (all 4 of whom are at least 75 years old). And the Senate Democrats would have put up a fight against him that would have ended up matching a phrase I once saw Eleanor Clift use on The McLaughlin Group: "This wasn't a grilling. It wasn't even a light sautee." That, alone, even if Romney HAD been good for the economy, would have been enough to make him unacceptable.

That's domestically. In foreign policy, there might have been a few more tiffs between Romney and the Congress. Somehow, I don't think he would have preferred to have war as a first resort, no matter what his predecessor as GOP nominee, John McCain -- and already intending to be his successor as GOP nominee, Peter King -- wanted.

Granted, those are just guesses.

As good as any. Are you serious about Peter King seeking the GOP nomination?

Both Liberals and Conservatives want people to have everything they need its just Liberals want to take it from others to give to those who have less and Conservatives want to have them earn it themselves rather than getting a handout.

Give a man to fish teach a man to fish...in the end they both have fish but the one who is given the fish will be forced to come back for more while the man who was taught to fish will only have to rely on himself.
Teach a man to fish, but choose not to give him a pole, or bait, and only allow him to fish in a river so polluted that the fish have all died, and he's not going to eat.

Give a man a job at a good wage, and he'll be able to buy food that tastes a hell of a lot better than fish.

Back
Top Bottom