• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When I was a kid . . .

Great thread!

What's crazy about it is I still have most of the same friends I had when I was growing up. Of course we don't do the same things anymore, but not far off. We hunt and build blinds, much the same as when we built forts. Instead of playing with Hot Wheels cars or Slot Cars we race real cars.

I am not sure how all of us made it out of childhood alive but somehow we did.

Man it sucks to get old!

What about the smell in the house when mom was baking? Mom would take the leftover pie crust and cut it in to thin strips and cover them with cinnamon and sugar then roll them up and bake them. She called them pinwheels and we fought to the death to see who got the most of them! There was a corner grocery store that had pastries delivered to his front door every morning. They just sat there in the box until the owner arrived. I walked by them every day on my way to school as did many other kids but rarely did any one steal one. Also, the daily papers were delivered and people just walked by and laid a nickle down on the paper stack and took a paper. Walking by that money laying there was tempting but stealing may have been my dad's pet peeve so I never even tried it.

What about the smell in the house when mom was baking? Mom would take the leftover pie crust and cut it in to thin strips and cover them with cinnamon and sugar then roll them up and bake them. She called them pinwheels and we fought to the death to see who got the most of them! There was a corner grocery store that had pastries delivered to his front door every morning. They just sat there in the box until the owner arrived. I walked by them every day on my way to school as did many other kids but rarely did any one steal one. Also, the daily papers were delivered and people just walked by and laid a nickle down on the paper stack and took a paper. Walking by that money laying there was tempting but stealing may have been my dad's pet peeve so I never even tried it.

Yep. We had vegetable stands all over. People with gardens would put out green beans, tomatoes, corn, rhubarb, etc. The stand was rarely manned but you'd just take what you wanted and leave the money in a coffee can. The thought of stealing the food, the can or both just didn't come up.

Yep. We had vegetable stands all over. People with gardens would put out green beans, tomatoes, corn, rhubarb, etc. The stand was rarely manned but you'd just take what you wanted and leave the money in a coffee can. The thought of stealing the food, the can or both just didn't come up.

We still have those near my house. You can go a mile in any direction and you'll find a little cart with tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, string beans and a little sign telling you to leave a few dollars for whatever you take. Most are unmanned but a few of the larger ones do have someone there 3 or 4 hours out of the day.

I remember those days also. But that was long ago, before the entitlement mentality took over our society...

Back
Top Bottom