• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When I was a kid . . .

remember the weight loss product called Ayds?....... they tasted like little caramel candies, my mom would buy a big box and i would eat hell out of them one after another when she wasnt looking...never supressed my appetite
Oh gosh do I!! I remember one afternoon nearly finishing off a box of them. My mom was so angry.... :) But like you said - didn't do squat to suppress my appetite.

I used to have to walk 7 miles to school uphill and then 7 miles back also uphill....

I used to have to walk 7 miles to school uphill and then 7 miles back also uphill....
Unless it was in snow in the morning and a blizzard in the afternoon, you're just a rookie. :D

We had these great cap guns that when you shot them, produced a very loud, realistic "bang!" The cheapos had paper spools of caps, but these had plastic "loads" that were just too cool. We played war all the time, cowboys and indians, cops and robbers.

Hey now....those rolls of caps might not have been the best in the cap guns but if you hit an entire roll with a ballpeen hammer they worked just fine! They were also more fun to light on fire.

Hey now....those rolls of caps might not have been the best in the cap guns but if you hit an entire roll with a ballpeen hammer they worked just fine! They were also more fun to light on fire.
This is true! :D I remember doing that too. We were keen to see if the combined explosion would blow the hammer head back. :D

I never lit them though - trees along the creek and past the highway, yes, cap rolls no. ;)

Your OP brought back memories, vary fond ones. We were a few blocks from the neighborhood park. Yup, those rows of bushes were forts and there were deadly battles (before plastic Lightsabers of course) as we stalked each other. We learned physics by finding out you could not persuade a swing to go the full 360.

We used our own resources to have fun and it was safe. Those days sadly are long gone.
I remember the big swing sets where we'd have competitions to see who could jump farthest. After awhile, we learned you could bail out of them backwards, which was totally cool. :thumbs:

We'd also see how high we dared to go - the higher you went, the more slack you put in the chains of the swing and the harder the "bump" when you came down. We all feared coming down on the top cross-bar. :D

This is a great thread, Maggie!

My kids, 20-somethings now, grew up in the country and had the opportunity to experience what many are reminiscing about such as staying outside until "dark-thirty" and having to be hollered in. I wish more kids had the opportunity to experience this....

Story: my cousins lived on a farm and we'd spend a couple weeks there each summer. My first summer I learned how to shoot - with a pellet gun. My cousin took me out into the fields with him hunting. We were about a hundred yards apart when he stopped and yelled my direction. Next to me a few yards off was a cow grazing. He yelled again, this time I heard "Shoot the cow!" I gestured with my hand to my ear, "whaa?" He said, "Shoot the cow!!" So I aimed my pellet gun and shot the cow in the butt. It kicked and took off running. In the meantime I heard a loud "bang!" and turned to see my cousin's gun pointed to the ground. He'd cornered a gopher and wanted me to bring him the pellet gun so he wouldn't destroy it.

That cow was the first notch in my gun. :)

Already saying to my son " when I was your age son Pluto was a Planet".

The internet wasn't very big when I was a kid. Instead we had to walk miles just to call someone a ****.

I remember all the different candies we used to have (some good, some not)

Pez candies and all the collectible dispensers (meh)
NECCO wafers (not so good)
3' red licorice ropes (great)
Blackjack Gum

As long as we're travelling down memory lane - anyone else remember getting dosed with castor oil?

I never got doses, but my mom says that she and her siblings got a dose of castor oil a couple of times a year. Her mother was apparently quite bowel-obsessed. :lol:

As long as we're travelling down memory lane - anyone else remember getting dosed with castor oil?

Oh, Jesus Mary and Joseph.

That's one memory I can do without. Just what kind of fish IS a castor, anyhow??

Fibber McGee and Molly. Buster Bob. Sea Hunt. The Gillette Saturday Night Fights. Baseball cards on the spokes of your bike. Getting shot in the butt with rock salt while raiding the orchard down the road. That was hard to hide when I got home. Geeze. That old guy that owned the orchard would be in jail today. We still raided the orchard. We were just in the stealth mode after that - no more sounding like a bunch of Grackles swooping in. Huge black cherries. Wasn't our fault they were so good, plus you got to spit the seeds, too.

We slept out in the back yard at night and arraigned it so the neighbor kids did too and we just goofed off running from yard to yard invading each other tent. We took waxed pieces of card board in the winter to slide down a big hill in town. We had a community pool and my friends and I lived there in the summer months. I can still smell the pool water. We caught worms at night to go fishing the next morning. We had a big yard so the neighborhood kids all came over to play baseball and football and whatever. My folks never objected to kids being in our yard as I think it brought back memories of their childhood. My dad took a million pictures. Halloween was an ocean of kids all over the neighborhood ringing doorbells. My dad loved kids and enjoyed every second of the little ghosts and gobblins at his door. We had a lot of chores to do and did them to earn a weekly allowance. We shoveled neighbors sidewalks, raked their leaves and cut their lawns to earn extra money. I remember getting a raise from 25 to 30 cents a week. My dad cooking out in the back yard and when he didn't burn it it was great! Yeah, I too feel sorry for our techo-kids staring at their screen as life goes by. If you are not coming in with torn jeans, a dirty face and a scuffed up knee then you just ain't livin'!!

Oh yeah... my brother and I would lay on our backs and stare at the stars, watching for shooting stars, imagining traveling to different galaxies, trying to comprehend the size of the universe.

I never got doses, but my mom says that she and her siblings got a dose of castor oil a couple of times a year. Her mother was apparently quite bowel-obsessed. :lol:

They all were, at least in my small community. Yuck! Later, when the vitamin craze first started my mom used to try to slip brewer's yeast into our orange juice. We learned to have our younger sister try things out first. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom