• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Guns are Good

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Well...I'd have to say that this lady put her firearm to good use.

DALLAS -- Authorities say a Dallas woman admitted to fatally shooting her husband because he was beating the family cat. Mary Harrison, 47, was taken into custody Saturday in connection with the shooting.

Dexter Harrison, 49, was rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. The Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports Harrison remained in custody Sunday at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center, where she's being held on $100,000 bail.

Woman fatally shot husband because he beat family cat, police say

It's probably still going to cost her though--20 years, at least.

in dog years that'd be 140.

Priorities:
  1. Guns
  2. Cats
  3. Husband
It's only a matter of time before Trump pardons her and nominates her for national security advisor.

Is the cat ok?

She did the right thing -- she protected her cat. Anyone who abuses animals deserves to be shot.

In my humble opinion.

She did the right thing -- she protected her cat. Anyone who abuses animals deserves to be shot.

In my humble opinion.
Probably not justifiable to protect a cat. At least not legally. But, I certainly could come up with a good cover story to justify it if I was her lawyer. She could just say she stood her ground after hubby attacked her while she was defending the cat. Self defense.

Probably not justifiable to protect a cat. At least not legally. But, I certainly could come up with a good cover story to justify it if I was her lawyer. She could just say she stood her ground after hubby attacked her while she was defending the cat. Self defense.

You're probably right -- I guess I'm biased. I like animals better than I like most people.

Well she saved the cat but will do time in prison.
Self defense of the cat won't work... even in Texas.

Well she saved the cat but will do time in prison.
Self defense of the cat won't work... even in Texas.

Self defense argument would apply if she says he physically assaulted her when she tried to stop him from hurting the cat. She ran, grabbed the gun and shot when he came after her. :shrug:

Self defense argument would apply if she says he physically assaulted her when she tried to stop him from hurting the cat. She ran, grabbed the gun and shot when he came after her. :shrug:

That's not bad! And really hard to refute, especially if she had some marks on her. Courts seem to hold the concept of self defense in high regard.
Of course she may have already blabbed the reason she shot him.

That's not bad! And really hard to refute, especially if she had some marks on her. Courts seem to hold the concept of self defense in high regard.
Of course she may have already blabbed the reason she shot him.

It all hinges on what she said when the cops came. Odds are, judging by the picture, she's not smart enough to keep her mouth shut and let her lawyer do the talking.

I can see an excited utterance. "He hurt my cat; so I shot him."

And, that would be a stupid thing to say.

It's not her fault, her husband should have armed himself so he could have returned fire.

It's not her fault, her husband should have armed himself so he could have returned fire.

That or quit harming the cat when the wife said, "I'll shoot your ass, if you don't stop hurting my cat."

HowardBThiname said:

I like animals better than I like most people.

I sure am glad you have a gun (I assume?) ! All the hunters and pro-gunners are probably happy you to have a gun too! Maybe you should accompany them when they hunt, just for fun...

I sure am glad you have a gun (I assume?) ! All the hunters and pro-gunners are probably happy you to have a gun too! Maybe you should accompany them when they hunt, just for fun...

You're kinda right -- kinda wrong. I do have a gun or two, but I thought I made it clear that I didn't like killing animals. Maybe you missed that. I don't care for hunting. Did you not read that I prefer animals to most humans? Why would I want to accompany a hunter anywhere? Were you drinking when you posted?

I do have a gun or two, but I thought I made it clear that I didn't like killing animals. Maybe you missed that. I don't care for hunting. Did you not read that I prefer animals to most humans? Why would I want to accompany a hunter anywhere? Were you drinking when you posted?

Sorry that you did not get my point... I was pointing out the irony of it all...

Gun rights supporters would love for you to have a gun and believe it's a great thing for you to have guns. Yet, they are the ones most likely to suffer from you having those guns, if you happen to catch them hunt or be (what you think is) cruel to animals.

P.S. I hate animal cruelty too

Last edited:
Sorry that you did not get my point... I was pointing out the irony of it all...

Gun rights supporters would love for you to have a gun and believe it's a great thing for you to have guns. Yet, they are the ones most likely to suffer from you having those guns, if you happen to catch them hunt or be (what you think is) cruel to animals.

P.S. I hate animal cruelty too

Your point is a little fuzzy. Gun-rights advocates may or may not support killing animals but they don't get to kill them on my dime (I don't allow hunting on my land). But, would I shoot a hunter? Highly unlikely. Now, would I shoot someone who was torturing one of my dogs? That's a little more likely, but that doesn't set me at odds with gun-rights activists. Many of them would also protect their pets from someone who would torture them.

That or quit harming the cat when the wife said, "I'll shoot your ass, if you don't stop hurting my cat."

No, the ONLY way to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun.

The husband should have armed himself and returned fire.

The only way to stop gun violence is to have more guns in the hands of good people.

Your point is a little fuzzy. Gun-rights advocates may or may not support killing animals but they don't get to kill them on my dime (I don't allow hunting on my land). But, would I shoot a hunter? Highly unlikely. Now, would I shoot someone who was torturing one of my dogs? That's a little more likely, but that doesn't set me at odds with gun-rights activists. Many of them would also protect their pets from someone who would torture them.

You said "Anyone who abuses animals deserves to be shot.". Hunting, which KILLs animals, clearly falls under the umbrella of animal "abuse". So, I assume hunters would be justifiably worried if you were around them during a hunt with your gun.

You said "Anyone who abuses animals deserves to be shot.". Hunting, which KILLs animals, clearly falls under the umbrella of animal "abuse". So, I assume hunters would be justifiably worried if you were around them during a hunt with your gun.

I and I suspect most people disagree. ethical hunters don't abuse animals. try again

People with his attitude are likely afraid of guns, and certainly no hunter worth his or her salt would be scared of people like this with a gun.

You're funny.

Just because I wouldn't shed any tears over an animal abuser being shot -- that doesn't mean I would shoot them.

Where did you dream that one up?

I also think rapists should go to prison -- but that doesn't mean I would imprison one in my barn. LOL

You're not very good at this, are you ?

Just because I wouldn't shed any tears over an animal abuser being shot -- that doesn't mean I would shoot them.

Based on what you said here, all a random hunter would know is you believe you they deserve to be shot for what they do and you have a gun. (Which on a side note is both a motive and opportunity.) They may not know your mood on the day in question or how far you'd go, etc, etc. I am sure some would feel justifiably uneasy if they knew how you felt and what you are packing.

Back
Top Bottom