• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When DOES Illegal Immigration finally become a 'crisis'?

VanceMack

Less like the tiger...more like the lion.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We bring in approx 1 million legal immigrants every year. But there are unknown numbers of illegal immigrants that gain entry into this country every year. The exact amount is unknown. But lets start with what we KNOW.

In 2017, our US Border Patrol personnel apprehended 310,531 people seeking illegal entry into the country. Most of those are from Mexico (130,454), but there are what I find to be some rather alarming realities thrown into the mix. 35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.

And of course thats in addition to the 49,760 from El Salvador, 65,871 from Guatemala, 47,260 from Honduras.

Once here...how many of those are released? And those are just the numbers that are caught. How many are getting through?

When does illegal immigration become a problem people are willing to take seriously?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...ionwide-apps-sector-citizenship-fy07-fy17.pdf

Immigrants showing up at our Southern border is at its lowest number since the early 1970's. There is no "crisis" except to those who've been subsisting on a nonstop diet of Trump's "immigrants are crossing the border to kill you" messaging for the past three years.

Last edited:
Well the number of illegal crossings is the lowest it's been in quite some time, so I think a crisis would occur if that number were to explode instead of getting lower each year.

We bring in approx 1 million legal immigrants every year. But there are unknown numbers of illegal immigrants that gain entry into this country every year. The exact amount is unknown. But lets start with what we KNOW.

In 2017, our US Border Patrol personnel apprehended 310,531 people seeking illegal entry into the country. Most of those are from Mexico (130,454), but there are what I find to be some rather alarming realities thrown into the mix. 35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.

And of course thats in addition to the 49,760 from El Salvador, 65,871 from Guatemala, 47,260 from Honduras.

Once here...how many of those are released? And those are just the numbers that are caught. How many are getting through?

When does illegal immigration become a problem people are willing to take seriously?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...ionwide-apps-sector-citizenship-fy07-fy17.pdf

First of all there is no crisis, the numbers are the lowest they have been in decades and I love how you try the fear mongering of

"Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.
as if that means everyone from those regions are coming to kill us.

Trump has manufactured a fake crisis to get a wall that is not needed. The Dems already said they were open to Border Security funding, just not a wasteful wall.

First of all there is no crisis, the numbers are the lowest they have been in decades and I love how you try the fear mongering of

as if that means everyone from those regions are coming to kill us.

Trump has manufactured a fake crisis to get a wall that is not needed. The Dems already said they were open to Border Security funding, just not a wasteful wall.
Your meaningless blather does not contribute to the conversation and is all I expect from you.

Immigrants showing up at our Southern border is at its lowest number since the early 1970's. There is no "crisis" except to those who've been subsisting on a nonstop diet of Trump's "immigrants are crossing the border to kill you" messaging for the past three years.

Having 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants inside the country, some for decades, is a "crisis". Pointing out that illegal immigration is not primarily accomplished by crossing the Southern US border to gain entry does not lessen that "crisis" in any way, shape or form. Whether a home invader gained entry by posing as an innocent visitor at your front door or broke in through a back window makes little difference - the immediate issue is how to remove the invader.

Well the number of illegal crossings is the lowest it's been in quite some time, so I think a crisis would occur if that number were to explode instead of getting lower each year.

That is partisan bull**** and doesnt address the topic. There were 310,000 illegal immigrants apprehended...and who knows how many made it through. Several thousand of those illegal immigrants are from middle eastern countries. When does illegal immigration become a problem.

If all you have to offer is the same mindless partisan leftist rhetoric, dont bother responding.

Your meaningless blather does not contribute to the conversation and is all I expect from you.

According to you because I actually put facts in there and not fear mongering. The Dems have already said they are FOR Border Security, just not the wall. Seems it is Trump that is unwilling to negotiate and is only interested in keeping a false premise campaign slogan rather than trying to actually implement REAL Border Security. Not only that this shutdown is putting our airports at risk which SHOW that Trump isn't interested in National Security.

So all you and others can muster instead of addressing the real world facts is meaningless typical leftist talking point blather.

Worthless.

Having 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants inside the country, some for decades, is a "crisis". Pointing out that illegal immigration is not primarily accomplished by crossing the Southern US border to gain entry does not lessen that "crisis" in any way, shape or form. Whether a home invader gained entry by posing as an innocent visitor at your front door or broke in through a back window makes little difference - the immediate issue is how to remove the invader.

So how does his big beautiful wall that Mexico isn't paying for get those 12 to 20 million illegals out of the country?

If all you have to offer is the same mindless partisan leftist rhetoric, dont bother responding.

Translation: "If you don't agree with me and if you aren't for the wall, I don't want to hear from you".

Sorry, you don't dictate what we get to post despite your partisan outbursts and fear mongering.

According to you because I actually put facts in there and not fear mongering. The Dems have already said they are FOR Border Security, just not the wall. Seems it is Trump that is unwilling to negotiate and is only interested in keeping a false premise campaign slogan rather than trying to actually implement REAL Border Security. Not only that this shutdown is putting our airports at risk which SHOW that Trump isn't interested in National Security.
This thread has nothing to do with Trump. It would be swell if you were able to actually have a discussion that didnt involve leftists talking points. I get that you arent capable of that.

This thread has nothing to do with Trump. It would be swell if you were able to actually have a discussion that didnt involve leftists talking points. I get that you arent capable of that.

And all you have is fear mongering and a false premise. If you don't think my comments are on-topic, then there is a means you can use. Either use that or deal with it. You aren't a mod so go pound sand if you don't like what I have to say.

The levels at the border are their lowest in decades, there is no crisis.

So how does his big beautiful wall that Mexico isn't paying for get those 12 to 20 million illegals out of the country?
All you are capable of is more ridiculous leftist antitrump talking points? None of this

35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.

concerns you?

And all you have is fear mongering and a false premise. If you don't think my comments are on-topic, then there is a means you can use. Either use that or deal with it. You aren't a mod so go pound sand if you don't like what I have to say.

The levels at the border are their lowest in decades, there is no crisis.
There is no fear mongering nor false premise. Illegal immigration is an important topic. It was back when Obama said it was important. It was back when Schumer said it was. it is today. My question is in light of the FACTS regarding those that are coming here illegally and those we actually KNOW about, when does it become a concern?

THIS

35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia

is not a concern to you?

No, there is no crisis. That is fear-driven hysteria by three years of Trump screaming at everybody that immigrants are crossing the border to kill you.

Again, lowest immigrant apprehension since early 1972. If you're really worried about the well being of you and your loved ones, load everyone into a van, head to a pharmacy and get your flu vaccinations. The flu killed 80,000 people last winter.

Apprehensions copy.jpg

Also:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...thwest Border Sector Apps FY1960 - FY2017.pdf

Also, to steal Tres' point: how will a wall remove the undocumented immigrants already in our country?

All you are capable of is more ridiculous leftist antitrump talking points? None of this

35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.

concerns you?

So you didn't read my post. You've made an art out of not understanding what's going on.

I asked someone else how Trump's wall will get the 12-20 million illegals who are already here out of the country. Your blathering post here has nothing to do with what I asked him. So maybe let him answer since he has a much better track record of comprehension than you do.

I think throwing around the term crisis just makes the conversation harder. Especially when it's a fact that illegal immigration across the border are at record lows. And facts like this must be remembered when discussing this topic. The sky is falling can not be the argument on one side when the issue is no where near at it's worst.

With that said, the real questions to me are:

1. Is this a real problem that poses an actual threat to the country, national security or financially or otherwise? I'd say yes. It's a problem that is very worthy of attention.

2. Can we eliminate the problem? Nope. We can reduce it surely, but not eliminate it.

3. Do we have any plans that actually make financial sense and would actually reduce the problem? I have heard of plenty of plans ranging from the incredibly stupid giant concrete wall that keeps getting 10 feet higher and that other countries will pay for all the way to plans that sound good but don't have enough details for me to know they'd work like upping border security numbers and adding technology. We need better laid out plans, we need actual studies on how effective they'd be. My gut tells me that the fence would do little considering the price because we already have fences where we need them and I've heard very little from actual border patrol about needing a giant wall. If 5B for more fencing would reduce illegal immigration in half then I'd support it. But I don't think it will and I've heard little evidence to suggest it would.

So all you and others can muster instead of addressing the real world facts is meaningless typical leftist talking point blather.

Worthless.

You are not operating on "real world facts." If you did there is no way you'd think illegal immigration is a "crisis."

That is partisan bull**** and doesnt address the topic. There were 310,000 illegal immigrants apprehended...and who knows how many made it through. Several thousand of those illegal immigrants are from middle eastern countries. When does illegal immigration become a problem.

It's not partisan bull****, it's called reality and measurement. The number of illegal crossings has continued to drop over time, we've been doing a better job at securing the boarder. Just a reality. I know, I know, reality doesn't mesh with your emotionalized hysterics, with the narrative you wish to spin. But it's not a crisis, not of the levels some Chicken Little's are trying to make it seem.

We're not all going to die, and we're not on some verge of mass shootings from illegals or some take over of the Republic. We've been getting better at policing the boarder, and with some more effort which more likely would focus on expanded technologies and personnel rather than a wall, we'll continue to reduce the numbers.

So you didn't read my post. You've made an art out of not understanding what's going on.

I asked someone else how Trump's wall will get the 12-20 million illegals who are already here out of the country. Your blathering post here has nothing to do with what I asked him. So maybe let him answer since he has a much better track record of comprehension than you do.
Literally has nothing to do with Mexico or Trumps wall. The topic is the 310,000 illegal immigrants apprehended by US Border Patrol and especially the origin countries of many of those individuals.

Literally has nothing to do with Mexico or Trumps wall. The topic is the 310,000 illegal immigrants apprehended by US Border Patrol and especially the origin countries of many of those individuals.

Lowest since 1972.

When most people think "crisis," they usually think of a problem that's continually growing rather continually decreasing.

And I asked that other poster a question in response to a comment he made. So you should let him answer my question. Chances are he actually understood it.

I hope you don't get accosted by one of those scary immigrants that Trump said wants to kill you. Maybe you should stay inside all day. They're everywhere!

It's not partisan bull****, it's called reality and measurement. The number of illegal crossings has continued to drop over time, we've been doing a better job at securing the boarder. Just a reality. I know, I know, reality doesn't mesh with your emotionalized hysterics, with the narrative you wish to spin. But it's not a crisis, not of the levels some Chicken Little's are trying to make it seem.

We're not all going to die, and we're not on some verge of mass shootings from illegals or some take over of the Republic. We've been getting better at policing the boarder, and with some more effort which more likely would focus on expanded technologies and personnel rather than a wall, we'll continue to reduce the numbers.
So none of that concerns you. 310,000 illegal immigrants CAUGHT...with an unknown number that did NOT get caught, and the source and home countries of those individuals us not concerning to you because someone gave you a talking point.

Back
Top Bottom