• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When doctors change their advice, what do you follow? Old or new?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My son fell and injured himself at school, slicing his scalp open. He's okay, stitched up and back to school. The doctor, after fixing Mr. Humpty Dumpty, told us to keep the area scab free to prevent scarring.

This took me by surprise - as up until recently - I was always told to leave scabs alone so the skin can heal.

So, which one is it? :doh

My son fell and injured himself at school, slicing his scalp open. He's okay, stitched up and back to school. The doctor, after fixing Mr. Humpty Dumpty, told us to keep the area scab free to prevent scarring.

This took me by surprise - as up until recently - I was always told to leave scabs alone so the skin can heal.

That used to be the rule of thumb, but as of the past few years, it is believed that keeping the incision/laceration/injury site clean and covered is better for healing. A lot of docs will recommend using antibiotic ointment dabbed along the wound edges, just to keep the area from crusting. I'm not sure that it really makes that much difference as far as scarring goes, as some people just tend to form keloid or scar tissue naturally.

The answer is really both. It depends on the type of skin and what the skin is doing. A "scab" can form a nice cap that keeps the wound underneath nice and moist, and clean.. and make a great environment for healing. OR a "scab" can be necrotic tissue that impedes the healing of the skin by preventing skin cells and nutrients from migrating.

Since the wound was closed by sutures, and won't be closing "naturally".. I think its safe to assume that physician probably is making a good call in keeping the area clean. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom