• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When do YOU draw lines in the sand?

When do you draw lines in the sand?

• If the view is presented by an opposing "camp".

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ntharotep

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So when do you decide to draw lines in the sand?
I am thinking about DP but this can be in discussions with friends, family, coworkers, etc.

Does it take a lot for you to draw lines in the sand and if you want to expound on why that's good to.

Edit: Moral standing can be beliefs, etc. I meant to write that whole thing oops.

I am thinking about DP but this can be in discussions with friends, family, coworkers, etc.

Does it take a lot for you to draw lines in the sand and if you want to expound on why that's good to.

When I'm at the beach and want to play a game like beach volleyball.

As far as the other lines in the sand you were referring to, I try not to do so - however, one line that has been drawn by others that I recognize as existing, is the US Constitution and the rights it recognizes for ALL citizens of the US. Beyond that, I try not to be an obstinate asshole.

I don't usually tend to draw lines in the sand here, as I am pretty much open to all forms of discussion and debate here on DP, or anywhere else.

Last edited:
I do not tend to draw lines, but when I do it is usually due to the fact that the other person has gone beyond discussion and turned into a personal attack, at that point I know I am wasting my time with someone that does not deserve it.

I don't draw lines in respect to thoughts, ideas, or conversation.

I draw lines in the sand in respect to what I do and what I'll allow to be done in my presence.

We can sit here all day and philosophically discuss flag burning, for example, and you can argue that it's just a form of free speech or whatever and I'll respect your right to that opinion and even concede that it makes some degree of sense despite the fact that I disagree with you.

At the end of the day I won't hate you or ignore you because we have a difference of opinion nor will I rage quit the conversation.

But I won't burn an American flag in protest of anything and neither will you if you're in my presence, 1A arguments not withstanding.

Depends on the person and circumstances. It's better for my blood pressure not to respond to someone like my sister who doesn't really keep up the way basically anybody who posts here at DP does but who credulously takes as "gospel" everything she reads at Salon and will brightly ask me, "So seriously, don't you agree that it's time for a little gun control?"

Publicly and professionally, you have to tolerate a lot, and respecting others' oppositional POVs is important; you can learn from them one way or another, and upon occasion, you will actually be...mistaken.

So you have to be careful at work, but families and friendships can be delicate too. For 18 years now I've been part of an academic discussion group that meets for lunch on Fridays. One of us is a secularist. On rare days she misses, the rest of us say grace; otherwise, we don't. ;)

I don't draw lines in respect to thoughts, ideas, or conversation.

I draw lines in the sand in respect to what I do and what I'll allow to be done in my presence.

We can sit here all day and philosophically discuss flag burning, for example, and you can argue that it's just a form of free speech or whatever and I'll respect your right to that opinion and even concede that it makes some degree of sense despite the fact that I disagree with you.

At the end of the day I won't hate you or ignore you because we have a difference of opinion nor will I rage quit the conversation.

But I won't burn an American flag in protest of anything and neither will you if you're in my presence, 1A arguments not withstanding.

while i would not choose to do so, were i to commence burning a flag in your presence, how would you stop me?

and in reply to the OP's question, that 'line in the sand' is crossed by another when they take the first shot at me; there is then an instantaneous conversion from bubba to crasy ass redneck

Edit: Moral standing can be beliefs, etc. I meant to write that whole thing oops.

When honor, lives, and futures are on the line. I know that sounds trite, but I've learned that honor and dignity - though not pride - are very important to me. If I must do something that is not to my benefit, if it's the honorable thing to do, then I must do that if I can.

But lives and futures of others - especially those who depend on me - are almost always more important than honor.

I don't draw lines here at DP. We all come here willingly to participate in debate.

In real life you can still pretty much insult me all you want and I will laugh it off. I draw a line at someone in real life verbally attacking my wife or children. If I see someone picking on someone weaker than them I draw a line.

Lines in the sand....and in what context?

I'd only draw a line in the sand if I fully intended to enforce it against whomever might cross it, was capable of doing so, and it was that important. Don't know what else to say...

Other. My line comes when there is a ligitiment measure of danger offered to my family, or those that, for the most part, are innocent of the issue at hand. Like abortion. I think that's killing babies. I do. Now, that will get people fired off and up, but that's my line. I don't draw lines for others, as the moment you do that, you're created an idealogical conflict, and if I learnt anything from human history, it's those never end well, if at all.

When honor, lives, and futures are on the line. I know that sounds trite, but I've learned that honor and dignity - though not pride - are very important to me. If I must do something that is not to my benefit, if it's the honorable thing to do, then I must do that if I can.

But lives and futures of others - especially those who depend on me - are almost always more important than honor.

This might be one of the best responses that I have had the privilege to read here on on DP.

At the beach, but I haven't done that in years.

It depends on what the person says. I will always think anyone who minimizes animal abuse and cruelty is an asshole, no matter what. I don't tend to get antagonized over people with opposite views politically.

It depends on what the person says. I will always think anyone who minimizes animal abuse and cruelty is an asshole, no matter what.

Oh, yes.

And if you know someone who's an animal abuser, that's really all you need to know, isn't it?

This might be one of the best responses that I have had the privilege to read here on on DP.

Thank you very much, but it's no more than you yourself would do, because as retired Navy, you almost certainly put your career on the line more than once to do the right thing for kids who were in bad spots...and even if it cost you dearly, you don't regret it for a moment. And that's what I miss about active duty, 'cause out here in the civilian world, that's something one doesn't see very often.

I draw a line in the sand when I sincerely disagree with someone. Not sure why that wasn't one of the choices in the poll.

Oh, yes.

And if you know someone who's an animal abuser, that's really all you need to know, isn't it?

Yup, for me it is. I feel the same way about child abusers and people who abuse the elderly. But they (children and seniors) are far more protected than animals, sadly.

When I get pissed. It's why I don't talk about politics with my RL friends.

I don't draw "lines in the sand". I define what I will accept and if someone pushes past that I will do my utmost to stop them, including violence.

I don't draw "lines in the sand". I define what I will accept and if someone pushes past that I will do my utmost to stop them, including violence.

sounds like the description of a line drawn in the sand

Not drawn in the sand, set in stone. Try me.

now i get it
you DO draw lines
only you prefer a different metaphor to describe them

Presuming you are using a very poor metaphor for taking on an issue and arguing it to it's death, well, I don't

Back
Top Bottom