• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When do females lose their right to bodily autonomy?

When do females lose their right to bodily autonomy?

• Total voters
I'm so sorry about your friends' suicides. It's hell on the survivors.
For me it was 2 friends I was working with. It would be much worse if it was immediate family.

The one friend I actually went over to see how he was doing the evening he first tried to kill himself. I was only 21 and while I was well trained by the Army to take care of wounds I had no training in dealing with depression or recognizing the warning signs of suicide. He was going through a divorce with kids and drinking way too much. When I left he had passed out on the couch. Later that night he turned on the gas and blew his apartment up. He survived. After getting out of the hospital he got his gun and killed himself. The problem was he was too far along into his depression and drinking too much as well. I think mental health is just like cancer or heart disease. It may be hereditary. I don't know. I think it needs to be addressed early just like any disease if you want positive results.

I think we should get a mental evaluation on a regular basis just like we do a physical evaluation. We might even solve most of these shooting as well by addressing the real problem. It is not the gun but clearly the person. Some take their own life while others take others with them. Either way we need to address mental health as a part of health care.

Not government’s job, not relevant to the topic at hand, I’m glad they cut the wasteful and unconstitutional spending, should have cut more.
The consequences of the cutting programs and services you disapprove of will cost society more than the money you think was saved by cutting those services and programs.

How wonderful you separate the child from the parent and think it a good thing.
Where did I say that I think it's a good thing? Do you think it's a good thing for a child to live on the streets? We get down to the minus 20's or colder in the winter. Some homeless people die every winter. smh

Oh, and btw, it's not permanent. When the parent(s) gets a place to live, they get their child(ren) back unless they are unfit.

Yes.

Not sure. You kinda talked around it.

So .... are you for making prostitution legal?
Yes, I am for making prostitution legal. It means 'human dignity' for a lot of men and/or women by way of a controlled, decriminalized industry. Give them regulations, protections, make health care available and tax them.

Of course, human sex traffickers need to be arrested and prostitutes allowed to come forward without the worry of getting arrested. Support in getting the help they need to either go legit, get treatment, or get to safety away from the predators and criminals.

The real answer is, no one including the woman, should ever lose their bodily autonomy.

This has nothing to do with pregnancy. An anti-abortion state believes it has the right to get free 24/7 labor out of a woman for 9 months. It believes that girls and women are state breeding slaves, and in some states it doesn't matter whether a girl is 12 years old or a rape victim or is going to have her health severely compromised for the rest of her life. In some states, the life of the embryo is considered innocent but the life of a rape victim isn't.

Because of all this, the anti-abortion states will be lucky if any girls or women are willing to have sex with men ever again. I personally think they should all just say, "No," permanently until the states are capable of seeing that pregnancy and abortion are not their business.
I'd still have sex but only w/ sterile/infertile men.

For me it was 2 friends I was working with. It would be much worse if it was immediate family.

The one friend I actually went over to see how he was doing the evening he first tried to kill himself. I was only 21 and while I was well trained by the Army to take care of wounds I had no training in dealing with depression or recognizing the warning signs of suicide. He was going through a divorce with kids and drinking way too much. When I left he had passed out on the couch. Later that night he turned on the gas and blew his apartment up. He survived. After getting out of the hospital he got his gun and killed himself. The problem was he was too far along into his depression and drinking too much as well. I think mental health is just like cancer or heart disease. It may be hereditary. I don't know. I think it needs to be addressed early just like any disease if you want positive results.

I think we should get a mental evaluation on a regular basis just like we do a physical evaluation. We might even solve most of these shooting as well by addressing the real problem. It is not the gun but clearly the person. Some take their own life while others take others with them. Either way we need to address mental health as a part of health care.
Agreed. And we need to take the stigma out of it.

The real answer is, no one including the woman, should ever lose their bodily autonomy.

The point that some choose to miss is that the unborn are not 'someones' and are not 'anyone' who has any rights, much less to bodily autonomy.

That one is particularly a joke, since the unborn is wholly and completely physically intertwined with the mother's systems and would die without her physiological support. The unborn has zero bodily autonomy...it's not possible, it cannot exercise it, it's a joke to imagine it.

Agreed. And we need to take the stigma out of it.
Absolutely. The biggest problem is the fact if you opt to get help you just shut the door permanently too a lot of good jobs. Once they find out you are a nut seeing a psychiatrist it is career over. Good luck applying for a lot of jobs if you have ever sought psychiatric help. Luckily I was a plumber. Nobody cares if their plumber seeks mental health or used to. I was having trouble sleeping at 22 years old. I never slept more than a couple of hours. I went to a psychologist which cost me $8000 because insurance wouldn't pay. I found out I was a gun nut. Well maybe not. After a year of treatment I felt a lot better but still could not sleep. 30 years later I found out I had sleep apnea. I could have had it my entire life. Now in my 60s I am finally getting a good nights sleep. I think a lot of the relaxation techniques I learned helped me stay sane long enough to finally find the root problem. So it was most likely money well spent.

The point that some choose to miss is that the unborn are not 'someones' and are not 'anyone' who has any rights, much less to bodily autonomy.

That one is particularly a joke, since the unborn is wholly and completely physically intertwined with the mother's systems and would die without her physiological support. The unborn has zero bodily autonomy...it's not possible, it cannot exercise it, it's a joke to imagine it.
Agree!
One characteristic of rights is that they require the carrying out of responsibilities. One characteristic of being a person is that one understands and can carry out the responsibilities that go with rights . As a person grows in age and understanding they are granted more rights and correspondingly more responsibilities. A woman has a right to abort because she understands the responsibilities that go with nurturing family members that are already born persons. She is responsible first for nurturing their right to life and not the life of the embryo that cannot even recognize rights let alone carry out responsibilities.

The right to life presumes that one is responsible for ones biological functions or independent of a machine that provides biological functions.The more biological functions a person is capable of the more the right to life is theirs. The fewer functions the more diminished the right to life.

The above concepts apply to all human life. They are philosophically, legally and culturally accepted. Which is why a zygote and an embryo have no legal right to life and a brain dead person kept alive by breathing and feeding machines has a diminishing right to life as they become more and more dependent on machines. It is why a fetus after the 24th-28th week has a more developed right not to be aborted.

The Catholic Church and evangelicals are trying to change these accepted and logical concepts. They have not succeeded because those concepts make sense and their religious dogma of rights beginning at conception make absolutely no sense at all.

The problem is, some do not care. They view the unborn as paramount over the woman.

Yes, I am for making prostitution legal. It means 'human dignity' for a lot of men and/or women by way of a controlled, decriminalized industry. Give them regulations, protections, make health care available and tax them.

Of course, human sex traffickers need to be arrested and prostitutes allowed to come forward without the worry of getting arrested. Support in getting the help they need to either go legit, get treatment, or get to safety away from the predators and criminals.

Great. Me too.

How about drugs that are now illegal? Should it be legal for a woman (or anyone) to put drugs into their own bodies?

All
Great. Me too.

How about drugs that are now illegal? Should it be legal for a woman (or anyone) to put drugs into their own bodies?
All drugs and prostitution should be legal and regulated by the government the same way alcohol and tobacco is.

Great. Me too.

If a woman wants to put drugs in her body, well -- it's her body, right? She has every right to put drugs inside her body if that's her choice.

If a woman wants to put drugs in her body, well -- it's her body, right? She has every right to put drugs inside her body if that's her choice.

We agree!

The recent decision does not only affect women so i can't vote in your poll. If the states wanted to implement a vaccination mandate, due to the SCOTUS ruling and losing bodily autonomy you wouldn't be able to refuse. Good going

Where did I say that I think it's a good thing? Do you think it's a good thing for a child to live on the streets? We get down to the minus 20's or colder in the winter. Some homeless people die every winter. smh

Oh, and btw, it's not permanent. When the parent(s) gets a place to live, they get their child(ren) back unless they are unfit.
Post 910. you said I believe they can take them and put them in foster care until the mom has an apartment. Or in other words separate them.

No I think you should give support to the parent to raise the child not take the child away and with no doubt at all leave the mother stressed and feeling a failure.

How nice of you, when the woman finally conforms to your wishes you will give her own child back. An american proving once again they are the freest of the free. So long as they do as they are told.

Only in america where stupidity is thought of as a god given right would anyone use the my body my choice to promote stupidity.

The assumption is that a person would actually educate themselves on the dangers or potentials when making a choice. Where as your assumption seems to be Well if it my body I can be as stupid as I want with it.

Only in america where stupidity is thought of as a god given right would anyone use the my body my choice to promote stupidity.

The assumption is that a person would actually educate themselves on the dangers or potentials when making a choice. Where as your assumption seems to be Well if it my body I can be as stupid as I want with it.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Nobody should dictate to any man or woman what they can do with their body. If I could, I would ban all breast augmentations, rhinoplasty, tattoos, piercings, penile implants, etc.
But I have no right to tell ANYONE what they can or cannot do with their own body!! Educated or not, stupid or immature or uninformed or whatever they are, it is their right to get implants, tattoos, piercings, etc. And although I wouldn't do any of it, I really couldn't give a damn who does, that's not my business, that's THEIR business.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Nobody should dictate to any man or woman what they can do with their body. If I could, I would ban all breast augmentations, rhinoplasty, tattoos, piercings, penile implants, etc.
But I have no right to tell ANYONE what they can or cannot do with their own body!! Educated or not, stupid or immature or uninformed or whatever they are, it is their right to get implants, tattoos, piercings, etc. And although I wouldn't do any of it, I really couldn't give a damn who does, that's not my business, that's THEIR business.

This is amusing. Your not telling people what they can do with their body. But you are telling them they are being stupid with their body. But is that not the same thing? Who are you to decide what is stupid for someone else? They may have very good reasons for what they do.

But again, no. The assumption should always be that people are making informed decisions not just practicing the right to be stupid. Most countries abhor stupidity in decision making. Where as americans for some strange reason think it a right to make stupid decisions.

This is amusing. Your not telling people what they can do with their body. But you are telling them they are being stupid with their body. But is that not the same thing? Who are you to decide what is stupid for someone else? They may have very good reasons for what they do.

But again, no. The assumption should always be that people are making informed decisions not just practicing the right to be stupid. Most countries abhor stupidity in decision making. Where as americans for some strange reason think it a right to make stupid decisions.
There's no ambiguity there, don't try to make it so. What I said was quite clear. If it's your opinion that people do stupid things, then that's your opinion and nobody cares about you or your opinion.

There's no ambiguity there, don't try to make it so. What I said was quite clear. If it's your opinion that people do stupid things, then that's your opinion and nobody cares about you or your opinion.
Yes, I agree, it was quite clear. For you my body my choice means a person can think up anything and pretend it is their choice without regard for good reasons.

The reason pregnancy is potentially tragic is that the woman risks dying to save someone she doesn't know who will actually be so worthless that her death is worthless. When people risk their lives in the military, they're doing so not to save a live but to protect the Constitution against all enemies, domestic or foreign. If you die doing that, your death is never worthless, even if the war Congress sent you to fight was a mistake.

No child is worthless.

Back
Top Bottom