• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When did we become such a weeny nation?

And then nothing happened.

I find it interesting that Reagan an against Carter because Cater was running up the deficit, but then Reagan cut taxes and more than doubled Cater's deficit.

Not getting our hair or nails done is not a big deal. Having all the hairdressers and nail salons shut down -- maybe permanently -- is a big deal.

I live in the suburbs and there is a hair or nail salon on every corner. How many businesses, careers, and lives have been destroyed by this lockdown?

When you complain about the lockdown protesters, you are safe in your work-from-home world. You have absolutely no empathy for the people who are being destroyed.

You think it is okay for them to run a business that will kill people. One Salon remained open and eight of its customers came down with Covid because the owner ran the shop knowing she ws sick. So yes, I worry about people losing their jobs as it has happened to both of my daughters. But I would rather have them unemployed than DEAD!!!!

I find it interesting that Reagan an against Carter because Cater was running up the deficit, but then Reagan cut taxes and more than doubled Cater's deficit.

We were hungrier during Reagan that was the diff..Reagan and his tariffs cost the farmers dearly and the deregulation of oil crushed the exploration of US oil forms for twenty yeas, just like Trump is hurting farmers and the oil industry is in shambles.

That's the survival rate IF you catch it. But most of us won't even catch it. The odds of catching it, getting a serious case, and dying, for the average person is miniscule.

Going out in your car is much riskier, but Americans think nothing of that.

Actyally the death rate right now of known cases is more like 5.9% on average in the country. I do hear the GOPers and Trumpsters say iit is 2% because they do not count people with pre-existing conditions.

1) I fully support people who want to be idiots in their pursuit of idiocy.

2) I personally think that some of what is being done by businesses increases one's chance of exposure, not decreases it like Walmart requiring all people to line up and enter and exit through a single one of their 5 available entrances.

3) Realistically, the odds are pretty low locally. We have had around 45 cases and 2 deaths last time I checked. Both deaths were old people (upper 70's for 1 and 80's for other). Several of the total cases have been tracked to 3 clusters that have been more or less contained now. 1 was a guy from New York who decided to come stay with family here to escape the virus and brought it with him; one was someone who brought it back early from an out of town funeral at which pretty much everyone who went got it and then spread it around; and the third reported cluster is not known who patient zero was but involves a group of people whose paths regularly crossed. We are picking up only 1 or 2 new cases a week in my city now and that has been the trend for a month. .

I believe in freedom as much as the next American and went into the service as a volunteer in 69. What i do not agree with is people running around giving it to someone else because they refuse to even wear a mask or social distance. I do not ask them to give up their lives by joining the military or working with covid patients, just wear a damn mask and social distance to keep others safe even if you are not worried about yourself. Can you really tell me with a straight face that is too much to ask of fellow citizens?

Yes, we are a bunch of sniveling cowards bc we miss our church services... nevermind Jesus and his Apostles said it's very difficult to get to Heaven..the Original Church even teaching it's normally a mortal sin to miss Mass..

We are weanies because we know we need Jesus and his original Church to avoid eternal Hell

Well, ok, maybe we are wimps after all

Hell is said to be painful and eternal.. so even the bravest among us would prefer not to go there... Even very brave people hate long periods of pain and misery, presumably..

Maybe u r the exception...yet u seem to cower yourself from a virus very few die from

Ok, so...who are the cowardly, again?

I am a trustee of my church and have been for many years, so i too wish to go to church, but I won't until it is safe. In fact my church is not open to safeguard its members. And I was involved in health care for forty years so i know what people go through when they die of this disease. Hopefully it will not happen to you\, but even if you are not worried about yourself, remember there are other people in this world OTHER THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!

I believe in freedom as much as the next American and went into the service as a volunteer in 69. What i do not agree with is people running around giving it to someone else because they refuse to even wear a mask or social distance. I do not ask them to give up their lives by joining the military or working with covid patients, just wear a damn mask and social distance to keep others safe even if you are not worried about yourself. Can you really tell me with a straight face that is too much to ask of fellow citizens?

Mandating what people wear is too much to ask. Mandating Burqas in the name of "public safety" next on your agenda, Muhammad-Al-"Independentusa"?

I think a lot of people forget that with freedom comes responsibility.

Mandating what people wear is too much to ask. Mandating Burqas in the name of "public safety" next on your agenda, Muhammad-Al-"Independentusa"?

Now that was a totally stupid post. I keep thinking I have found the worst post ever and then someone comes up with one that is even stupider. Congratulations you just became my number one. And if a store wants to mandate you wear a mask or you can not come in, that is their right. And if the government mandates you wear a mask, do not blame me if you get a ticket. And if you do not or are unable to understand the difference between requiring you wear something for religious reasons and for health reason, do not blame me And finally, just because you do not care if you give others this virus and kill some of them, does not mean others are more interested the health and lives of our neighbors.

I have been working without a mask all along. Perhaps you should bow down before me as I am clearly Kryptonian.

How many people do you think you could have infected if you were one of the 35% who are asymptomatic while spreading the virus. 50...150 people? You think that makes you superman?

I have been working without a mask all along. Perhaps you should bow down before me as I am clearly Kryptonian.

In case you haven't heard, the mask is to protect others....it's called being considerate in case you are infected and don't know it and you don't want to spread the virus to others. This has been repeated hundreds of times already, on the news and right here on the forum.....are you not aware? :roll:

How many people do you think you could have infected if you were one of the 35% who are asymptomatic while spreading the virus. 50...150 people? You think that makes you superman?

There were two people working at hair salon that knew they were sick, but kept on working, They have possibly infected 142 customers. One of the women then went to a recently opened gym which had to close down because of her. I hope the gym owners sues her pants off.

I think it has more to do with 2016 and a man in the White House who goes golfing when thousands are dying. Just my thoughts.

The golfing thing is total BS. Man is President 24/7 and he isn't entitled to exercise? It was BS when Obama played golf, or basketball or went off to Hawaii for extended vacation. You want to find something to bitch about with a President its not hard to find. Try saying something good about folks once in a while.

"When did we become such a weeny nation?"

When pissed off morons strapped with guns began protesting about "BEING DENIED their rights".

Every time I see a photo of some guy protesting about being denied his "rights" while holding a gun, I think:
"Dude, I'm sorry about your penis, but here you are telling everybody!"

We have our military fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have our front line health care workers working and dying trying to take care of those sick with Covid 19.We have people working at plants and dying trying to keep us fed. And what are we doing, whining about having to wear a mask and social distance. Complaining about not getting our hair cuts or getting our hair dyed and not getting our finger nails done.

Only a nation of total weenii would give up its civil liberties to save itself from a virus with a .2% fatality rate. Only a nation of complete and utter weenuses would destroy its economy to save a few seniors who are already older than the average life expectancy from dying a few months earlier than they otherwise would have.

All that some of us can do is complain about our "freedoms" as other die for it or to help us fight this virus or even keep us fed.

Too many young men and women have fought and died defending those freedoms for us to just surrender over a slight uptick in mortality like a bunch of craven little weenies.

I guess I want to know, when did we become such a weeny nation?

When we stopped caring about leaving a legacy of freedom and prosperity for future generations and became so desperately terrified of our own mortality that we were willing to destroy the global economy and give up fundamental rights to save ourselves from a minor health threat.

The golfing thing is total BS. Man is President 24/7 and he isn't entitled to exercise? It was BS when Obama played golf, or basketball or went off to Hawaii for extended vacation. You want to find something to bitch about with a President its not hard to find. Try saying something good about folks once in a while.

Yes, the constant snark is a bit tiresome...boring

Only a nation of total weenii would give up its civil liberties to save itself from a virus with a .2% fatality rate. Only a nation of complete and utter weenuses would destroy its economy to save a few seniors who are already older than the average life expectancy from dying a few months earlier than they otherwise would have.

Too many young men and women have fought and died defending those freedoms for us to just surrender over a slight uptick in mortality like a bunch of craven little weenies.

When we stopped caring about leaving a legacy of freedom and prosperity for future generations and became so desperately terrified of our own mortality that we were willing to destroy the global economy and give up fundamental rights to save ourselves from a minor health threat.

Well said... can't find the clapping emoji

We have our military fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have our front line health care workers working and dying trying to take care of those sick with Covid 19.We have people working at plants and dying trying to keep us fed. And what are we doing, whining about having to wear a mask and social distance. Complaining about not getting our hair cuts or getting our hair dyed and not getting our finger nails done. All that some of us can do is complain about our "freedoms" as other die for it or to help us fight this virus or even keep us fed. I guess I want to know, when did we become such a weeny nation?
Good post. And we have weenies who can fill out long forms at a social security office in another town in order to get a government check but who claim they cannot get a voter ID because that would supposedly be too hard. Too much of a sacrifice for the unemployed who never went to war to preserve America from scumbag crooks.

I am a trustee of my church and have been for many years, so i too wish to go to church, but I won't until it is safe. In fact my church is not open to safeguard its members. And I was involved in health care for forty years so i know what people go through when they die of this disease. Hopefully it will not happen to you\, but even if you are not worried about yourself, remember there are other people in this world OTHER THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!

Oh. Wow...I'm so glad you came along to set me straight...all my pathetic life I have lived100percent for numero uno..never had time or inclination to consider anyone else. But now that I have met or encountered such an obviously enlightened and cerebrally evolved and Noble person..wow...just wow

Oh. Wow...I'm so glad you came along to set me straight...all my pathetic life I have lived100percent for numero uno..never had time or inclination to consider anyone else. But now that I have met or encountered such an obviously enlightened and cerebrally evolved and Noble person..wow...just wow

Yes, you do sound just like the people I wrote about, EXACTLY. I guess you go for sarcasm when you have nothing logical to say. That also is exactly what Trumpsters do when they are stumped to say anything useful.

Good post. And we have weenies who can fill out long forms at a social security office in another town in order to get a government check but who claim they cannot get a voter ID because that would supposedly be too hard. Too much of a sacrifice for the unemployed who never went to war to preserve America from scumbag crooks.

Poor logic. Not getting a voter ID hurts no one by the person who does not get to vote. Not wearing a mask and social distancing is entirely different as it can make people sick or even die. I think you should be able to see the difference. And people whining about it makes them weenies, sorry about that.

Poor logic. Not getting a voter ID hurts no one by the person who does not get to vote. Not wearing a mask and social distancing is entirely different as it can make people sick or even die. I think you should be able to see the difference. And people whining about it makes them weenies, sorry about that.

Because of the thousands of illegal votes Jimmy Carter uncovered in the early 2000s he recommended states mandate that voters get IDs as a means to combat voter fraud. Not being able to get an ID does not seem to be a justifiable excuse. Americans have to get IDs for all sorts of things and don't complain about having to do that. Advocating against voter IDs seems designed to help those committing voter fraud and offer no help to Americans wanting, like Jimmy Carter did, to slow down or stop voter fraud.

Even if you are losing your house, have no job and no car, life is good and to say otherwise just tells me they are one of 'the spoiled'. Poor Americans are living like the rich. Americans have flat-screen TVs, cell phones, multiple video streaming subscriptions, cars, and homes, yet don't have $400 cash saved for an emergency. In contrast, there are almost a billion people who do not have enough food. The U.S. is so rich that people literally have no idea what real poverty is.

What are you talking about?

In most of the homes of working families that can't scrape together 400 bucks for an emergency, these so called luxury amenities aren't what you think they are and that statement above might prove you've never known any of these people. I have, and I've BEEN one of them in the past myself.

Let's go down the list, shall we?

The flat screen TV is a forty dollar castoff from a yard sale and it barely works and is likely among the smallest models made.

Cell phone - same thing, a yard sale or Craigslist item for thirty bucks and Lifeline service, or a Walgreen's "burner phone" with a prepaid card.

What multiple streaming subscriptions? They have free to air TV and maybe a trip to Redbox once a month. Cubans have El Paquete Semanal.

Cars? Sure...a clapped out 2001 PT Cruiser with multiple "CHECK ENGINE" issues...paid a thousand bucks for it four years ago, whoopie doo.

Homes? Try more like "renting a roach infested duplex" or apartment. And the rent is overdue right now.

Most of these people also have food insecurity and may live in food deserts, places where the nearest supermarket is eight to ten miles away.
Currently one in five New Yorkers has food insecurity - ONE IN FIVE.

I've done it before so if you want to test this hypothesis, say so and I can link you with every single one of the above items, at or near the prices that I just mentioned.

We have our military fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have our front line health care workers working and dying trying to take care of those sick with Covid 19.We have people working at plants and dying trying to keep us fed. And what are we doing, whining about having to wear a mask and social distance. Complaining about not getting our hair cuts or getting our hair dyed and not getting our finger nails done. All that some of us can do is complain about our "freedoms" as other die for it or to help us fight this virus or even keep us fed. I guess I want to know, when did we become such a weeny nation?

From one generation to the next we tend to forget what got us to where we are. Too much of a good thing makes people forget the sacrifice of those past. We also tend to tell our younger generations that they "deserve" success and are "special". We forget to tell them that good things come from hard work and planning. You can guess the problems when someone believes their own hype! I remember watching a TV interview with a mother and son who were trying to keep the son out of combat duty in the Middle East some years back. He said, he joined up for the training and benefits he would receive but he never thought he would have to actually go fight. Duh!!!! I bet firemen think they will never have to go into a burning building to rescue someone, huh?
Last thought. The foreign nations throughout history have always accused the USA of being soft, and too pampered. In many ways that's true, we like to give the next generation more than we had. However in every crisis, every emergency, every combat, we have risen to the challenge. WWI, WWII are the great examples but our military answers the call as do our fire, police, health professionals and so on when things are toughest. Pampering Americans isn't necessary, it's a luxury and we should remember great responsibility comes with great privelege.
And I'm not talking about wearing a mask. Let's get back to work and handle the virus as we do so many other illnesses. Stop making this political.

Back
Top Bottom