• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When did racism end in the US?

When did racism end in the US?

• America was never racist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Early 1800s

• Late 1800s (after the Civil War)

• Early 1900s

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Mid 1900s (after passage of the Civil Rights acts)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Late 1900s

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Early 2000s

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Racism hasn't ended

Votes: 75 91.5%

• Total voters

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Seems like a simple question: When did racism end in America? Please post and indicate what event(s) were the final causal factors. (The poll is private.)

Seems like a simple question: When did racism end in America? Please post and indicate what event(s) were the final causal factors. (The poll is private.)

You did not take part in your own poll.
Why not?

I almost thought it would end when Obama became president. But, the Right proved me wrong, and they continued to do so, especially when they call the Obamas and K Harris Affirmative Action.

I wonder if they know they are parroting the racist scene in American History X :geek:

It's never ended and has become much worse since Trump became President. I think it took significant steps backwards under Trump. It started to get worse under Obama but for different reasons. The GQP were so freaked out to have a Black President that they reacted with more racism - or really stressing that there was WHITE OPPRESSION! This was a horrible tactic that fueled both sides that led to Trump and last summer's riots.

Shame it's not a public one.

Someone actually voted "early 2000s". You know, the decade when to-be-Trumpist America reacted to news that that black guy the Democrats nominated might win by spending a decade of claiming he lied about his birthplace, lied about his religion, was a racist, hated America and wanted to destroy it, possibly by using AGW to transfer wealth to third world nations, and more. The tan suit crap was just icing. And then in the next decade elected a racist, corrupt, and criminal Shitbag Supreme as explicit revenge for Obama's having been president.

Racism over in the 00's? Wish I could laugh.

It's part of human nature and can be mostly overcome. But all races practice racism to some degree.

There was no racism when I was born in 1979. The first time I found out that America was a racist country was in 1992 which sparked from a man named Rodney King. Then racism disappeared never to be seen again until 2012 when it reappeared due to a man named Treyvon Martin. Then no more racism anymore until 2020.

What do 1992, 2012 and 2020 all have in common? They were all presidential election years where the democratic presidential candidate utilized race as part of their strategy. Will this ever happen again? Yes. In all three instances reinstituting racism was a success. Clinton, Obama and Biden won their bid for president. Racism will never end until it stops working. It is a recipe for a big win.

It hasn't. There will always be some level of racism. However the systemic racism of the segregation era ended a decade or so after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. However there are stilll swamp rat politicians attempting to keep a narrative of racism going as long as possible, thinking they benefit politically from it. Most of those swamp rat politicians are in the democrat party.

Racism is mostly inherited from parents. I come from a long line of them on both sides. You can overcome it by gaining first hand experience that people are people, regardless of skin color.

It hasn't. There will always be some level of racism. However the systemic racism of the segregation era ended a decade or so after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. However there are stilll swamp rat politicians attempting to keep a narrative of racism going as long as possible, thinking they benefit politically from it. Most of those swamp rat politicians are in the democrat party.
Huh? Do you have any idea how "dopey" that sounds?

Racism in America? Yes, it's still around, but at a such small percentage of all people's attitudes it certainly doesn't live up to the outlandish claims that some are making.

Why so many racist driven crimes which in the end turn out to be hoaxes, fabricated or staged? Because demand outstrips supply.

Safe to say that America and Americans are the least racist nation and people on the planet, in spite of the fabrications to the contrary.

It all depends on one's interpretation of "racism."

The racism of disliking someone solely because of that person's skin color ended many years ago. It is impossible to pinpoint when.

the racism of simply preferring not to interact with certain groups still exists and always will because it is only human to feel comfortable with some people and not so comfortable with others. There is no malice involved.

This is 2021. All people in this country can patronize public accommodations, run for public office, and buy a house in any neighborhood. All Americans respect that right.

There are people who simply prefer to interact with some groups and prefer to avoid other groups. Again, there is no malice. It is just good old-fashioned freedom of choice. For example, they do not want their children to attend certain public schools or do not want to live in certain neighborhoods, etc. If one considers them to be racists, that's fine. I respectfully disagree.

the racism of simply preferring not to interact with certain groups still exists and always will because it is only human to feel comfortable with some people and not so comfortable with others. There is no malice involved.

I'm assuming you haven't read any of PeacefulWarrior's threads.

Such a simple question that it has a real simple answer: racism has not ended in the US. Only a simple thinking person would not see that.

It hasn't. There will always be some level of racism. However the systemic racism of the segregation era ended a decade or so after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. However there are still swamp rat politicians attempting to keep a narrative of racism going as long as possible, thinking they benefit politically from it. Most of those swamp rat politicians are in the democrat party.

Ah no, systemic racism does not end with legislation. It is a mindset which was woven into the fabric of man in general AND the American culture. It has not gone away, nor will it go away easily. It is alive and thriving in America today, almost everywhere you look. Wait, here are 26 illustrations.

Last edited:
Racism is only now beginning. After all, the only Racism ever in the US is racism against whites.

...so I am told.

Racism in America is systemic, with no resolution on the horizon.

While I would agree that there most likely will always be some racists around let's not underestimate how far we've come and the hope for the future that traveled distance points to. I think we can pull it off.

A good sign it is over would be the elimination of the distinction between Black and white neighborhoods. So not soon.

Back
Top Bottom