• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When carrying a gun AND knife

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I thought this might be a fun topic.

As I have mentioned before, I have recently obtained my CCW license. I hit the range once a week and would consider myself better than average. I can certainly put rounds on target at self defense ranges, even from my snub nosed revolver.

But for several years now I have carried a karambit knife. I grew up doing martial arts and my last three years in the military was in Indonesia, where I took up karambit training. I am very proficient with a karambit knife. It feels like an extension of my hand at this point. I love using my handmade, fixed blade, double edged karambit. But in order to stay legal in the states, and for convenience, I carry a foldable one. A Fox 479 karambit, to be exact. Here is the demo for those of you who haven't heard of one.

This morning I was getting ready to head out so I put my knife in my pocket and gun in my IWB holster. My wife asked, "Why do you need the knife if you have the gun?" There are some obvious answers to that, of course. There are places I can't legally take my gun where I can still take my knife and I never know when I will have to stop off at one of those places. The knife can also be a backup. And then there is the simple fact that the knife has utilitarian purposes other than self defense. I'm not very likely going to use my revolver to open that FedEd package. :)

But it got me to thinking. Are there any self defense scenarios in which a person, proficient with both a gun and knife, might opt to draw their knife instead of their gun?

The first thing that comes to mind is a scenario in which I am surprised and the assailant is immediately right on me, grabbing me and he either has a knife OR a gun. I think in those closed quarters I could attack with my karambit quicker and more effectively.

Also, in a situation in which I don't have a line of sight on my attacker, such as being put in a headlock from behind. I can stab behind me. Shooting behind me isn't so easy and could endanger others.

Any self defense situations you can think of in which you would go for your knife before you go for your gun?

P.S. I have ZERO desire to get into a knife fight. If someone pulls a knife on me, and I can get to it, I am pulling my gun.

Last edited:
Hmm...

I don't carry either; gun nor knife.

I've been able to successfully take care of threatening situations so far without carrying any weapons.

But in answer to your question, I'd say a knife is preferable whenever stealth is as important as self-defense...perhaps when facing more than one armed assailant but they don't know your exact location? A gunshot would zero them in on you, where a knife would not.

(P.S.: I don't have any guns, but if I ever decide to arm myself I would never apply for/get any kind of permit. It's a clear sign to authorities that you have at least one gun in your possession. Paranoid as I am, I prefer not to signal this in the future event of a gun-seizing "kristallnacht." IMO it's the equivalent of self-registration.)

Last edited:
I thought this might be a fun topic.

As I have mentioned before, I have recently obtained my CCW license. I hit the range once a week and would consider myself better than average. I can certainly put rounds on target at self defense ranges, even from my snub nosed revolver.

But for several years now I have carried a karambit knife. I grew up doing martial arts and my last three years in the military was in Indonesia, where I took up karambit training. I am very proficient with a karambit knife. It feels like an extension of my hand at this point. I love using my handmade, fixed blade, double edged karambit. But in order to stay legal in the states, and for convenience, I carry a foldable one. A Fox 479 karambit, to be exact. Here is the demo for those of you who haven't heard of one.

This morning I was getting ready to head out so I put my knife in my pocket and gun in my IWB holster. My wife asked, "Why do you need the knife if you have the gun?" There are some obvious answers to that, of course. There are places I can't legally take my gun where I can still take my knife and I never know when I will have to stop off at one of those places. The knife can also be a backup. And then there is the simple fact that the knife has utilitarian purposes other than self defense. I'm not very likely going to use my revolver to open that FedEd package. :)

But it got me to thinking. Are there any self defense scenarios in which a person, proficient with both a gun and knife, might opt to draw their knife instead of their gun?

The first thing that comes to mind is a scenario in which I am surprised and the assailant is immediately right on me, grabbing me and he either has a knife OR a gun. I think in those closed quarters I could attack with my karambit quicker and more effectively.

Also, in a situation in which I don't have a line of sight on my attacker, such as being put in a headlock from behind. I can stab behind me. Shooting behind me isn't so easy and could endanger others.

Any self defense situations you can think of in which you would go for your knife before you go for your gun?

P.S. I have ZERO desire to get into a knife fight. If someone pulls a knife on me, and I can get to it, I am pulling my gun.

I prefer to go all crocodile dundee on my opponent. I like to carry a western bowie knife, which works better than them fancy smancy knives. It is like carrying a cannon instead of a rifle, yeah the guy with the rifle might kill me, but odds are they wil piss themselves and run away when they see what I am packing, and in my opinion every threat deterred is better than any threat fought.

Hmm...

I don't carry either; gun nor knife.

I've been able to successfully take care of threatening situations so far without carrying any weapons.

But in answer to your question, I'd say a knife is preferable whenever stealth is as important as self-defense...perhaps when facing more than one armed assailant but they don't know your exact location? A gunshot would zero them in on you, where a knife would not.

(P.S.: I don't have any guns, but if I ever decide to arm myself I would never apply for/get any kind of permit. It's a clear sign to authorities that you have at least one gun in your possession. Paranoid as I am, I prefer not to signal this in the future event of a gun-seizing "kristallnacht." IMO it's the equivalent of self-registration.)

I have an arsenal at home but I don't have a concealed carry permit either. Don't really need it in Texas if you keep your gun in the car. Most days though, I don't have any weapons with me at all.

I just load shotgun shells with flechettes.

A National Public Radio type girly man would probably grab his fanny pack and start flailing at the aggressor like a little bitch until the first blow landed on him. Then he would cower into a corner until the cops got there 9 minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom