• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When Adding New States Helped Republicans

From what I understand, what they are doing is, changing the size of the Capitol to only include the federal buildings for the most part, the rest of the land that is currently the Capitol would be used to form a new state.

There are a couple of issues, whether Congress has that authority to cede the land, which there is a precedent where SCOTUS did not rule on the VA portion of the land that was cede back to VA, however the bigger problem is that the only people left in the Capitol would be the President and his Family, and that would create a Constitutional Crisis come Election time, which would require an Amendment to fix. Because those in the EC cannot be someone holding office.

Back to the ceding the land, what could happen is that it could only be ceded back to Maryland, as the land that was from VA was ceded back to VA. It could be that the MA legislature would just need to consent for the land to be made into a new state. However, this process will almost certainly be tied up in court. Which the court would probably be a DC court, and then it would be something that would end up to SCOTUS if it did not got there to begin with. So this whole DC thing going to be a State could be a long process or no process, have to wait it out and see.

...There are a couple of issues, whether Congress has that authority to cede the land
There is no issue here. A new state can be formed by parts of two or more other states, provided those state cede the land.
So of course the federal congress has that authority

...however the bigger problem is that the only people left in the Capitol would be the President and his Family, and that would create a Constitutional Crisis come Election time, which would require an Amendment to fix. Because those in the EC cannot be someone holding office.

Why is that a problem ?

What is left of DC would have no EC votes

Back to the ceding the land, what could happen is that it could only be ceded back to Maryland, as the land that was from VA was ceded back to VA. It could be that the MA legislature would just need to consent for the land to be made into a new state. However, this process will almost certainly be tied up in court. Which the court would probably be a DC court, and then it would be something that would end up to SCOTUS if it did not got there to begin with. So this whole DC thing going to be a State could be a long process or no process, have to wait it out and see.

Why the need to involve Maryland and W.Virginia at all ?

DC is not part of their states.

Absolutely DC was formed from two states. The new state would NOT be formed from 2 states, it would be formed from the District of Columbia. The only DC requirement is that it not exceed 10 miles.
States are not formed from other States. Before they become a State they begin as a US territories, or in the case of DC, a US District that is defined by Article I, Section 8, Clause 15 of the US Constitution.

If one or more other States (Maryland and Virginia in this particular case) happen to border the newly created State, then it requires not just the approval of Congress, but also the approval of the State legislatures of those States.

DC would remain the capitol. It would only be smaller than it is. MD and VA approval is not required, no land is coming from their states.
It cannot remain the national capitol and be a State. You have to choose one or the other, because it cannot be both.

Maryland's and Virginia's approval is required regardless whether they are gaining land or not. Just sharing a border with a newly created State requires both of their approval.

You are wrong about why WY and VT have one rep. It is because that is in the Constitution (minimum representation).
They have one US House Representative because they have fewer than a 1,000,000 total population. After the 2020 Census, it requires at least a minimum of 1,000,000 residents for a State to obtain a second US House Representative.

Again, your claim that Repsn are based on total population is quite simply...incorrect.
Yet I've demonstrated that it is precisely as I described, while you have failed to demonstrate anything.

"The current method used, the Method of Equal Proportions, was adopted by congress in 1941 following the census of 1940. This method assigns seats in the House of Representatives according to a "priority" value. The priority value is determined by multiplying the population of a state by a "multiplier." Each of the 50 states is given one seat out of the current total of 435. The next, or 51st seat, goes to the state with the highest priority value and becomes that state's second seat. This continues until all 435 seats have been assigned to a state. This is how it is done."
So you want people to believe it has nothing to do with population, is that seriously what you expect people to believe? Once again you demonstrate your fanatical devotion to your leftist indoctrination training and a complete and utter lack of education. If it has nothing to do with the population, then why does the Bureau of the Census even exist?

From what I understand, what they are doing is, changing the size of the Capitol to only include the federal buildings for the most part, the rest of the land that is currently the Capitol would be used to form a new state.
States cannot be the national capitol. Furthermore, changing the size of the capitol would require an amendment to the US Constitution that alters Article I, Section 8, Clause 15 of the US Constitution that specifically states the national capitol will be no more than 10 square miles in size.

There are a couple of issues, whether Congress has that authority to cede the land, which there is a precedent where SCOTUS did not rule on the VA portion of the land that was cede back to VA, however the bigger problem is that the only people left in the Capitol would be the President and his Family, and that would create a Constitutional Crisis come Election time, which would require an Amendment to fix. Because those in the EC cannot be someone holding office.
The land was never ceded back to Virginia, despite the claims to the contrary. The federal government actually owns even more land in Virginia than they claimed to have ceded back. The Pentagon didn't exist in 1847, and Arlington National Cemetery was Robert E. Lee's home at the time. Now they are both owned by the federal government, not Virginia.

When land is "ceded" back to its original owner, that typically involves giving the land back. When the federal government continues to own the land, then they really have not "ceded" anything. This whole "ceded the land back to Maryland in 1847" is just another lie. The federal government continues to own the land.

States are not formed from other States.

Yes they can be

Before they become a State they begin as a US territories, or in the case of DC, a US District that is defined by Article I, Section 8, Clause 15 of the US Constitution.

Where in the Constitution does it say a state has to become a US territory first ?

If one or more other States (Maryland and Virginia in this particular case) happen to border the newly created State, then it requires not just the approval of Congress, but also the approval of the State legislatures of those States.

No it doesn't
Where in the Constitution does it mention "bordering" states ?

It cannot remain the national capitol and be a State. You have to choose one or the other, because it cannot be both.

Why not ?
There would still be a federal district, not located in any state.

Maryland's and Virginia's approval is required regardless whether they are gaining land or not. Just sharing a border with a newly created State requires both of their approval.

Absolutely, no it isn't

They have one US House Representative because they have fewer than a 1,000,000 total population. After the 2020 Census, it requires at least a minimum of 1,000,000 residents for a State to obtain a second US House Representative.

Even if your sums are right, so what ?

So you want people to believe it has nothing to do with population, is that seriously what you expect people to believe? Once again you demonstrate your fanatical devotion to your leftist indoctrination training and a complete and utter lack of education. If it has nothing to do with the population, then why does the Bureau of the Census even exist?

Statehood has nothing to do with either population or geographic area.

States are not formed from other States. Before they become a State they begin as a US territories, or in the case of DC, a US District that is defined by Article I, Section 8, Clause 15 of the US Constitution.

Yet I've demonstrated that it is precisely as I described, while you have failed to demonstrate anything.

You misunderstand the Constitution. The guide would be Article 4, Section 3. Sharing a border? And where do you find that? DC would remain, in a smaller footprint. The new state would surround the seat of the federal govt (just like it is now).

Wow, your interpretation of representatives is so far off it's not even in the tight state. I never said it had nothing to do with population, I said you're claim that total polulation is how they are determined is wrong. Answer me this, how many members of the House of Representatives are apportioned by population?

You misunderstand the Constitution. The guide would be Article 4, Section 3. Sharing a border? And where do you find that? DC would remain, in a smaller footprint. The new state would surround the seat of the federal govt (just like it is now).

Wow, your interpretation of representatives is so far off it's not even in the tight state. I never said it had nothing to do with population, I said you're claim that total polulation is how they are determined is wrong. Answer me this, how many members of the House of Representatives are apportioned by population?

Indeed, the Constitution says nothing about sharing a border with regard to admitting new states.

Back
Top Bottom