• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's your idea of healthy eating? [W:19]

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
This forum falls under the heading of "self help". Most people would like to eat healthy and feel better and build up their health over the long term.

Does anyone here have a good routine of what they consider healthy eating, and what would that look like? curious.

For example i generally eat salads for lunch every day. It takes planning, but well worth it

if it can be cooked in a deep fryer, then it is probably going to be delicious
grits and rice always taste better with milk gravy, home made from the grease drippin's
ice cream is a breakfast dish
bacon grease is something to be treasured, collected in an urn situated by the stove ... essential for cooking over easy eggs
if it ain't a tater, chances are it's a vegetable not fit for eatin'
water is something to be consumed only when there is no beer or soda available
if there is no meat in your meal, somebody made a mistake

*to be continued*

are you one of those folks on electric scooters at walmart?

almost 64, and a sports official (football, basketball, softball, fast pitch, lacrosse) for over 30 years
just now losing a step on the basketball court, keeping up with the young men

almost 64, and a sports official (football, basketball, softball, fast pitch, lacrosse) for over 30 years
just now losing a step on the basketball court, keeping up with the young men

so you're an athlete?

This forum falls under the heading of "self help". Most people would like to eat healthy and feel better and build up their health over the long term.

Does anyone here have a good routine of what they consider healthy eating, and what would that look like? curious.

For example i generally eat salads for lunch every day. It takes planning, but well worth it

My idea of healthy eating does not generally match what I eat. I am a big fan of animal derived proteins and fats and feel that the low fat craze is crazy. The corn oil margarine thing pushed on the public in the '70's has done nothing but cause bad health.

In addition to the above, I do think that yogurts and prepared plants, such as hummus..mmm.. is very good and good for ya. And green greens, not the iceberg lettuce is healthy. A variety of legyooms (how is that spelled ?) and chocolate, a little bit, as close to raw as you can stand it.

The holistic nature and health benefits of slow cooked barbecue is slightly off topic and best in it's own thread.

"Healthy eating," that just means balance. Never too much of any one thing, portion control for everything, across all the groups including the things you are militant about.

But eating habits alone are not near as effective as consideration for daily exercise in concert with.

The rule I follow is that I may eat anything, anything as long as I make it from scratch and the recipe includes a vegetable/fruit.
So theoretically my diet would allow for a dozen cookies, a chocolate cake, a pizza and a bowl of mac and cheese.

However I'm too lazy to bake all that and also try to figure out how to slip a veggie/fruit into cookies; so I end up eating some combination of rice, beans, veggies/fruit and meat.

Whole food, minimal processing.

My idea of healthy eating?

Why, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pizza and Spam- that kinda stuff.

I put ketchup on everything, so that takes care of the veggies. And when I have pizza (with the usual tomato sauce) I get a super healthy helping of double veggies! Oh, and the coffee creamer takes care of the dairy part of the food pyramid. I think that covers all the necessities, doesn't it?

Anything and everything along with moderation and plenty of exercise.

I put ketchup on everything, so that takes care of the veggies. And when I have pizza (with the usual tomato sauce) I get a super healthy helping of double veggies! Oh, and the coffee creamer takes care of the dairy part of the food pyramid. I think that covers all the necessities, doesn't it?

I can see why your posts have only been liked 4 times. lol. what a child

I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains and lentils. My only problem is the veggies that are the healthiest are ones I am not crazy about. But then I discovered green smoothies and that problem was solved.

I didn't plan it this way but I would say at least 90% of my calories come from whole, unprocessed foods. I'm not one of those people who thinks processed food is evil, I just personally prefer the taste and simplicity of whole foods.

I do stay away from refined sugar, though. It wreaks havoc with my appetite.

Oh, and I drink beer. Good beer. Maybe not healthy but I like it. :)

(post #13 this thread)
USViking said:

(post #16 this thread)
I can see why your posts have only been liked 4 times. lol. what a child

Some people just cannot take a joke. It is sad.

FYI the joke should have been attributed to the incomparable Art Donovan:

Art Donovan Quotes

Here are a couple of others from Art:

"Both sides of my family had come from Ireland in the 19th century for the same reason: There was nothing to eat over there. Since then, I've tried to make up for the potato famine by making the potato the only vegetable that passes these lips.

"People tell me if I don't eat vegetables I'm going to get scurvy. Well, what the hell..."

Donovan may have been introduced to Spam in the WWII Marines, who he saw combat with in the Philippines and Iwo Jima. Presumably he threw away the vegetable part of his rations. That did not slow him down in the war, or as a Defensive Tackle in the National Football League, where he had a Fall of Fame career which included two championships, one of them the immortal 1958 Baltimore Colt overtime win against the NY Giants.

Apparently Donovan had a natural immunity to scurvy and all other forms of malnutrition since he lived to the age of 89 (or maybe this vegan stuff is for wimps).

And finally, that is 223 likes I have received- in 777 posts, a much better likes-to-posts ratio than yours.

Moderator's Warning:
Focus on the topic. Do not bait or make personal attacks or there will be consequences.

Back
Top Bottom