• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's your favorite holiday, and why?

Which is your favorite holiday?

• New Year's Day

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Valentine's Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Patrick's Day

• Easter

• Independence Day

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Halloween

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Thanksgiving

• Hanukkah

• Christmas

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other

• Total voters

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So which is your favorite holiday? I'm going to say Christmas, but I'm also going to say that my Christmas season starts on the night of Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving dinner is finished, digesting nicely, the dishes are done, the leftovers crammed into the fridge -- then I get to go Black Friday shopping! And then that weekend we decorate the house, inside and out. We go all out, with lights, decorations, and so on. I like most holidays, but I like Christmas the best. Heck, I'm happy from October (Halloween) through Christmas. The whole entire time, I find enjoyment in. (pardon those who do not celebrate these holidays, as I am American, so I didn't list stuff like Boxing Day (sorry Canada) ) :D

And for the holiday you choose - what is special to you about that holiday? Meaning why is it your favorite?

4th of July.

I love the picnics, fairs, parades, concerts, patriotic spirit.....blowing stuff up.:lol:

It's a great day for the kids, the family can all be together and you don't have the stress of Aunt Sally complaining that you never go to her house, doing presents at home then twice again at each grandparents, etc., etc....plus you get to blow stuff up.

Don't tell me - you like blowing stuff up? :lol:

I like the 4th, too - the BBQs, the fireworks, etc. No matter how old you get, you'll always like fireworks. My youngest are almost 14 and 16 now, and I still love to see their faces light up during a good fireworks show.

l hate teh ones who like thanksgiving:lol:

christmas surpasses the others l think

Caturday holiday.

I like X-mas because the lights make the darkness go away for about a month. Last hurrah before the crappy months of January through March.
I like Halloween because it's so much fun, but I'd hesitate to call it a "holiday" since there's no paid time off work for Halloween.
Thanksgiving is great because I just love the meal, and the 4 day weekend.

4th Of July is the best I guess.
Love warm/hot weather. Love fireworks. Love the cookouts. No expectations. Paid time off work.
Memorial Day weekend is AWESOME too because it signifies the start of summer (unofficially).

I've tried to get my family to make the 4th of July the gift exchange holiday for the year, and ditch that nonsense from X-mas.
Make X-mas just a Thanksgiving Part 2. That would relieve the shopping stress from everyone.

(is it really a "Holiday" if you have to go to work/school that day?)

Well every holiday is good and is for fun and i also like all the holidays because there are many activities that are done in a holiday and specially the sleeping is the best part of holiday. I like independence day holiday the most.

people began to spend the ramadan holidays in holiday villages located in coast cities instead of coming together with the family and friends at home.

my childhood memories of ramadan were so warm and happy

Christmas. I love pretty much everything about it. I love decorating, I love having a Christmas tree, I love giving and receiving gifts, I love the food, and I love getting to see my family. It's got everything you could ask for in a holiday. Most of the others are missing one of those elements.

The 4th of July is a close 2nd though. Drinking, barbecue, and explosives is always a good combination.

Festivus!! The holiday for the rest of us :)

Halloween. it's my birthday, and it's also the peak of the coolest time of the year.

Halloween. it's my birthday, and it's also the peak of the coolest time of the year.

your peaceful image contrats with hallloween helix:lol:

Christmas. I love pretty much everything about it. I love decorating, I love having a Christmas tree, I love giving and receiving gifts, I love the food, and I love getting to see my family. It's got everything you could ask for in a holiday. Most of the others are missing one of those elements.

The 4th of July is a close 2nd though. Drinking, barbecue, and explosives is always a good combination.

I love all holidays but Christmas probably the most for the same reasons as molten. And lots of feel good movies as well :)

Halloween. Costumes, cool "spooky" stuff...and, it's my birthday. :p

people began to spend the ramadan holidays in holiday villages located in coast cities instead of coming together with the family and friends at home.

my childhood memories of ramadan were so warm and happy

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ramadan is a whole month without sex, right? Depending on where you live it also means breakfast no later than 4:30 in the morning. Those two factors would drop it down a bit in my list of favorites but if it also means more family time that's a good thing.

For me it's St. Paddy's Day by a wide margin. Drunk in a bar, screaming at the TV during March Madness (either conference tournies or the big dance), and enjoying the company of other college hoops lovers in-between shots of pool and whiskey.

Also - anyone that says Valentine's Day I'd love to put my foot through their throat.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day--it is the only holiday that allows a white guy in the South not to have to spend any money or be expected to do anything whatsoever in terms of maintaining a tradition. I call it Nap Day though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ramadan is a whole month without sex, right? Depending on where you live it also means breakfast no later than 4:30 in the morning. Those two factors would drop it down a bit in my list of favorites but if it also means more family time that's a good thing.

sex is alllowed after breaking teh fast in teh evening ,:mrgreen:

l was referring to ramadan festival (it may last 3 days or longer as based on officially declared periodd of time ) is celebrated after 30 days of fasting

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day--it is the only holiday that allows a white guy in the South not to have to spend any money or be expected to do anything whatsoever in terms of maintaining a tradition. I call it Nap Day though.

If this was in Basement, I'd say what my grandpa - a former high-ranking member in his chapter of the Ku Klux Klan - called MLK Day.

If this was in Basement, I'd say what my grandpa - a former high-ranking member in his chapter of the Ku Klux Klan - called MLK Day.

Oh I have probably heard it by now I am sure.

Oh I have probably heard it by now I am sure.

I'm sure you probably have. The L is replaced by another name given to Satan, and the K is replaced by a small foraging mammal with rings under its eyes - also used as a black pejorative.

When I was a kid visiting my grandparents, he'd make me turn off the Cosby Show (probably the most popular show when I was growing up) with some tirade I won't repeat, talking about not having "them" on his television screen.

Then he'd switch the channel to football. Thank God there aren't any blacks there.

After thinking and debating about this for about 20 minutes I decided that Christmas would have to be the holiday I enjoy the most. I just love the feeling I get from all the lights, the snow, the music, and the friendly people (this does not include when you go present shoopping). I just wish people could act as if the whole year was Christmas. Where I'm from people tend to be more polite and understanding.

I had a tie for my 2nd favorite. Independence Day or Easter.

I'm sure you probably have. The L is replaced by another name given to Satan, and the K is replaced by a small foraging mammal with rings under its eyes - also used as a black pejorative.

When I was a kid visiting my grandparents, he'd make me turn off the Cosby Show (probably the most popular show when I was growing up) with some tirade I won't repeat, talking about not having "them" on his television screen.

Then he'd switch the channel to football. Thank God there aren't any blacks there.

Well you got me because I had never actually heard that one. Not so much anymore but when I was in my teens and doing menial labor type jobs I would hear some pretty similar themed stuff every year

Back
Top Bottom