• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's your favorite holiday, and why?

Which is your favorite holiday?

• New Year's Day

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Valentine's Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Patrick's Day

• Easter

• Independence Day

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Halloween

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Thanksgiving

• Hanukkah

• Christmas

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Other

• Total voters
Well you got me because I had never actually heard that one. Not so much anymore but when I was in my teens and doing menial labor type jobs I would hear some pretty similar themed stuff every year

Yup, the joy of having 95% of extended family from the bowels of BFE Alabama.

So which is your favorite holiday? I'm going to say Christmas, but I'm also going to say that my Christmas season starts on the night of Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving dinner is finished, digesting nicely, the dishes are done, the leftovers crammed into the fridge -- then I get to go Black Friday shopping! And then that weekend we decorate the house, inside and out. We go all out, with lights, decorations, and so on. I like most holidays, but I like Christmas the best. Heck, I'm happy from October (Halloween) through Christmas. The whole entire time, I find enjoyment in. (pardon those who do not celebrate these holidays, as I am American, so I didn't list stuff like Boxing Day (sorry Canada) ) :D
Years ago, Easter was my favorite holiday. There was usualy good weather and it was fun coming up with different twists on the Easter-egg hunt.

th

The holidays serve as reminders that everything I love in life has been taken from me. Visiting my children is cost-prohibitive, that's why I haven't seen them in nearly a year. At best I may get the occasional phone call through. I try to work on every holiday to keep my mind off it, and if I cannot work then I get drunk and watch movies or play video-games as an escape, until I can go back to work. I wish I could deploy again so that I would be surrounded by other people sharing the same pain.

Last edited:
I'm sure you probably have. The L is replaced by another name given to Satan, and the K is replaced by a small foraging mammal with rings under its eyes - also used as a black pejorative.

When I was a kid visiting my grandparents, he'd make me turn off the Cosby Show (probably the most popular show when I was growing up) with some tirade I won't repeat, talking about not having "them" on his television screen.

Then he'd switch the channel to football. Thank God there aren't any blacks there.

:lol: Sounds like a few people on my Dad's side of the family.

th

The holidays serve as reminders that everything I love in life has been taken from me. Visiting my children is cost-prohibitive, that's why I haven't seen them in nearly a year. At best I may get the occasional phone call through. I try to work on every holiday to keep my mind off it, and if I cannot work then I get drunk and watch movies or play video-games as an escape, until I can go back to work. I wish I could deploy again so that I would be surrounded by other people sharing the same pain.

I'm sorry, Jerry. I am.

Are you winking at me, Uncle? Cuz that's real hot, you know?

I think you'd have to be the aunt instead, since you're older.

Funny thing is that I have an aunt that's 37...a whopping three years older than me. Only in Alabama. Or maybe Georgia.

Christmas.

It pwns.

Halloween.....I think one can do more with lights and decorating up ones property. I once won a Contest for a Suburb I was living in for having the Best decorated house. So they gave us tickets for a dinner at one of the Better Restaurants out in the South Suburbs of Chicago. At the Time I had a Corner Lot. Which had a big yard on the Corner. We had like over 250 Pumpkin bags and others out there. Lights in every window and around doors. A whole Back Porch lit up and with decorations. Graveyard with a Gigantic Spider in it. All filled with leaves. Had some awesome Lawn Decorations that a guy I knew who was a Carpenter had made. He would make cutouts out of wood and his wife painted them. Ghosts, Mummies, Witches you name it. I had him make me a 6ft coffin too. Which then I would store most of the stuff in.

What was great......the very next morning, early early morning, we would take it all down. As if there had been nothing there at all from the night before. The neighborhood peeps would talk about it and all the kids luved it. Couldn't wait to go to the Halloween House for Candy. We all would dress up in costumes too. A few of our friends would come over and be dressed up. All the OL's would be dressed up as witches. We would have people out in the grave yard buried in leaves and rising up to scare people. It was a great time. The Star Newspaper even took a Pic of the House. Front, back and the Big Yard on the Side.

When I got divorced.....I left all the stuff with the Ex. Which she then ended up giving away. I must have had like 3500 just in Halloween Decorations.

Now.....it is Christmas as that is my OL's favorite holiday. Not to mention her Birthday is around then too. As she says she is a Winter-baby.

Eh, don't want to put a damper on other people's enjoyment, but personally I don't give a hoot about any holiday. Once the kids grew up and scattered from our cozy nest, holidays were no different than any other day, except television programming sucks more than usual and there's no mail delivery.

Eh, don't want to put a damper on other people's enjoyment, but personally I don't give a hoot about any holiday. Once the kids grew up and scattered from our cozy nest, holidays were no different than any other day, except television programming sucks more than usual and there's no mail delivery.

There's no doubt but that the kids make ALL the difference for holidays.

There's no doubt but that the kids make ALL the difference for holidays.

Yeah.....now that they are all out on their Own. Just isn't the same.

Although when living in the City.....I never answer the door on Halloween. Just sayin! :lol:

I've been there at various times for various reasons. Rule Number One is to never let yourself be reduced to your ex's definition of you. You will always be your children's father and they will always love you despite her best efforts to the contrary. I found that you cannot turn bad times into good times even if everyone else is having fun so there's no point trying. Hard to believe it right now, but it actually does get better. It starts getting better when you meet someone else.

My technique was to pretend it was not a holiday, skip the music and the stores, stock up on movies, booze and microwave meals. it's OK to start drinking when you wake up, these are special circumstances. Don't go outside, just get through it and the damn thing will be over before you know it. Hang in there, man, we've all been there and know that one day it actually does get better. It's different, but you do heal and happiness will come to you again.

Don't even notice other people. Everybody, even with terrible problems, pretends to be happy.

Superfly, that's all I have to say, not trying to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
Halloween.....I think one can do more with lights and decorating up ones property. I once won a Contest for a Suburb I was living in for having the Best decorated house. So they gave us tickets for a dinner at one of the Better Restaurants out in the South Suburbs of Chicago. At the Time I had a Corner Lot. Which had a big yard on the Corner. We had like over 250 Pumpkin bags and others out there. Lights in every window and around doors. A whole Back Porch lit up and with decorations. Graveyard with a Gigantic Spider in it. All filled with leaves. Had some awesome Lawn Decorations that a guy I knew who was a Carpenter had made. He would make cutouts out of wood and his wife painted them. Ghosts, Mummies, Witches you name it. I had him make me a 6ft coffin too. Which then I would store most of the stuff in.

What was great......the very next morning, early early morning, we would take it all down. As if there had been nothing there at all from the night before. The neighborhood peeps would talk about it and all the kids luved it. Couldn't wait to go to the Halloween House for Candy. We all would dress up in costumes too. A few of our friends would come over and be dressed up. All the OL's would be dressed up as witches. We would have people out in the grave yard buried in leaves and rising up to scare people. It was a great time. The Star Newspaper even took a Pic of the House. Front, back and the Big Yard on the Side.

When I got divorced.....I left all the stuff with the Ex. Which she then ended up giving away. I must have had like 3500 just in Halloween Decorations.

Now.....it is Christmas as that is my OL's favorite holiday. Not to mention her Birthday is around then too. As she says she is a Winter-baby.

That's awesome! We decorate a lot for Halloween, too. We have to a little "less" scary this time, though, because last year some of the smaller kids in the neighborhood were scared. Well that's what my husband said. Me? I said let them grow up early. A little fear is good for the circulation, no matter how old you are. :D

I've been there at various times for various reasons. Rule Number One is to never let yourself be reduced to your ex's definition of you. You will always be your children's father and they will always love you despite her best efforts to the contrary. I found that you cannot turn bad times into good times even if everyone else is having fun so there's no point trying. Hard to believe it right now, but it actually does get better. It starts getting better when you meet someone else.

My technique was to pretend it was not a holiday, skip the music and the stores, stock up on movies, booze and microwave meals. it's OK to start drinking when you wake up, these are special circumstances. Don't go outside, just get through it and the damn thing will be over before you know it. Hang in there, man, we've all been there and know that one day it actually does get better. It's different, but you do heal and happiness will come to you again.

Don't even notice other people. Everybody, even with terrible problems, pretends to be happy.

Superfly, that's all I have to say, not trying to hijack your thread.

It's alright, darlin'. Thanks for the kind words to Jerry. I like the guy, and he doesn't get enough kind words (IMO).

Definitely Christmas....then Valentine's Day.... then Independence Day.

I get where you're coming from. If it weren't for my kids over the years , I wouldn't have participated in any holidays. Christmas is particularly painful, but my kids deserve good memories for holidays like that. Once they are grown and gone...not sure what I'm going to do.

Parents - are you going to continue to decorate once the kids are grown and gone? I've always wondered about that for myself. I enjoy it myself, so I'd like to think that I will continue. As far as going crazy at Christmas, though, once they are grown, they'll get one or two nice presents instead of lots of smaller ones. Then Dad and I will take a cruise or something with the rest of the money. :lol:

Parents - are you going to continue to decorate once the kids are grown and gone? I've always wondered about that for myself. I enjoy it myself, so I'd like to think that I will continue. As far as going crazy at Christmas, though, once they are grown, they'll get one or two nice presents instead of lots of smaller ones. Then Dad and I will take a cruise or something with the rest of the money. :lol:

If they come home for the holidays then I will. If not, I doubt it.

A cruise sounds fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom