• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's your accent?

I grew up in Northern VA, but mostly my accent is "70s TV"...

I do occasionally slip a "y'all" into conversation but it's been a while since I've used the plural of that word, "all y'all"

Isn't the plural "alls' y'all"?

I got asked about my accent today. Health insurance phone call ... person couldn't figure out where I was from but knew it couldn't be Wisconsin. :)

Had been a long time since I was asked in person. So that was amusing.

Then there is the theory of the constant consonant. It applies to spoken English

It pupports that for every 'r' that gets dropped when a Bostonian pawks his caw, another one is picked up when a Texan warshes his.

I once read a book about language in which the author claimed that if he heard an American say "my father was born here" then he could pinpoint where the speaker was raised.

Then there is the theory of the constant consonant. It applies to spoken English

It pupports that for every 'r' that gets dropped when a Bostonian pawks his caw, another one is picked up when a Texan warshes his.

giphy.gif

I was born and raised in rural Central Arkansas so I have a strong Southern accent. Since 99 we have lived in the Midwest, but I don't think my accent has moderated that much.

cup-of-coffee-800x462.jpg
= ' kaw-fee '

persian-kitten-9.jpg
= ' kiit'-n '

I have a thick and unmistakable 6:00 O'clock news accent. Numerous accent reduction classes have not diminished it.

Have you ever thought of becoming a newscaster?

YES. It is perfectly normal for some people to "pick up" a bit of the accent in their environment after a period of time.
My niece married a boy who originally came here from England a decade earlier and when I first met him he sounded very British, acted very British, too.

After five years in Austin, Texas, he is now shooting guns and has a twang which makes the wife and I have to try hard not to double over in fits of laughter, because the both of us remember his use of "shan't" and other Anglo gems.
Now he can "cain't" and "ain't" with the best of them, and yet he's an economics prof at UT Austin.

What's a cain't?

I have a French accent

I'm part of the Inland North dialect region with some more subdued aspect of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre accent. Here's somewhat of an exaggerated example, but I do share a lot of the vernacular in the video.

I'm part of the Inland North dialect region with some more subdued aspect of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre accent. Here's somewhat of an exaggerated example, but I do share a lot of the vernacular in the video.

Back
Top Bottom