• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's your accent?

---No no, not ashamed of being American, conditioned to be ashamed of the way our language sounded. As you said, we seemed to believe that the Europeans and the English had the culture market cornered. Even today, you certainly have heard the old saw about how American women are suckers for the British accent. Worse than that, even today, when American advertisers want to portray a culturally sophisticated image, it's not surprising to hear the familiar clipped tones of a British voiceover.

We had one extremely wealthy kid in our school [in MD; he] and his family had never set foot in England, and their heritage was Dutch but the family was American stretching back five or six generations, but the little bastard had a British accent.

Red:
Yes. In fact, I rather like certain British accents....mainly any that I can understand. LOL

Blue:
That reminds me of a kid at my school. He was from Greece, but he spoke RP rather than English with a Greek accent. Frankly, though, I envied his facility for languages.

St. Louis. I'm told I sound like John Goodman.

When I said "New Yawkuh", imagine the guys in "Goodfellas", that's all.
I spent a lot of time with extended family on Long Island, and that's where that story took place, and it's based on real life experiences of Long Island legend Henry Hill.
The bar that they burnt down? It was actually Sid's Golden Dome in Atlantic Beach, three blocks from my grandmother's house, just past the Atlantic Beach Bridge.

I dont remember any bar being burnt down in Goodfellas. Are you sure you got the right movie?

I grew up in Canarsie, 4 blocks away from the Bamboo Lounge, which is the bar they hung out at. The bar where they celebrated after the Lufthansa heist.

So yeah, I tawk Brooklynese. You gotta problem wit dat?

You have influences from "all over." I do too. Do you find that if you spend a lot of time in a region that sometimes your accent begins to slightly mimic theirs?

Ages ago, I spent several months living in London. When I got home, my wife, kids, the neighbor, the guy at the dry cleaners, etc. said I sounded British. Folks in London didn't think so, but folks back home sure did. Two days later it was gone.

When I visit my relatives in the South, I come back with a light Southern lilt. Of course, Dad was Southern, so even as a kid, I had plenty of Southern influence. Dad's Southern accent softened when he was in DC, but got stronger when he vacationed in the South. Momma's accent gets more "old movie" when her siblings visit, and softens a day or so after they leave.

It is common enough to have a name. It is called code switching

I still say "y'all" from time to time and, on occasion, a "darling" slips out. Those come from my Army days in the South.
I have lived in three different regions of the country, however for the last nearly 30 years in the deep south. My accent is mostly southern, however I have still not added the term" "y'all".

It is common enough to have a name. It is called code switching

TY. I didn't know that term.

Other:
So, as I wasn't familiar with the term, I Googled it and clicked on a video to see if it's what I had in mind. I didn't finish the video because I fell over laughing at Nicky Sunshine who appears around the 0:28 mark.

Ms. Sunshine, remarking on the matter of "sounding white/Black," notes first that she has her professional sound. She then leans and bounces a bit and mentions that she's also got her "I'm a homegirl" sound.

What cracked me up was that i couldn't tell a difference between her professional sound and her "homegirl" sound. LOL

FWIW, the "code switching" I do, if that's what it's called, doesn't manifest as does the code switching the people in the above video describe. In my case, my diction, my sentence structure, cadence and so on don't change. It's just the accent. For example, after I spend a fair bit of time in the South with my family, certain words/syllables I normally pronounce as one sound move closer to having two, so the "o" in "store" starts to sound like a dipthong, "o-ah" instead of a simple "o," but I don't go "full Southern" and say it as "Stowa."​

I'm from DC, was raised there and in New England, and half of my family is from the South. The result is that my accent is a hodgepodge of regional and "from nowhere." That's because, I suppose, my parents and teachers were from the era when folks were taught, required really, to speak "Mid Atlantically," but Dad and his kin's accents were that, blended with a Southern drawl.

In any case, even as I heard that accent at home, I wasn't taught/required to use it, so I didn't develop the Transatlantic accent beyond minor bits of it. Too, all the kids at school had accents from everywhere, and kids being kids, it was "cooler" to sound something like one's peers than like one's teachers.

Depending on where I am, people have said my accent sounds:
  • Southern --> It does at times, but not usually. If I'm just back from visiting my Southern kin, yes, I sound Southern.
  • "Up North Somewhere" --> Some folks, most often Southern strangers with whom I speak think my accent sounds like what they think to be a Bostonian accent. Though my accent is mildly non-rhotic, it's not at all Bostonian, but that's of no matter when someone thinks it's what one sounds like.
Whatever my accent sounds like, what it doesn't sound like is anything that might resemble the accents heard among folks running straight through the middle of the country in a band the width of Upstate NY to Pennsylvania and running across the US to Oregon and Washington.
  • My tees are never dees, and one can tell there's a tee in the word.
    • "Wanted" not "wan-ed."
    • "Water" not "wadder."
  • My short "a" only ever sounds like an "a."
    • I say "hwhat" not "wut." "What" rhymes with "swat," not "but."
  • Sometimes I drop final ars, and sometimes I don't.
    • Saying "mother," I do, but saying "water" I don't.
  • I have aunts, not "ants."
So what about you? Have you an accent that's typical? One that's bizarre? Or perhaps you have certain words you pronounce differently from most folks?

Definite NorthEast accent...not Boston, not Brooklyn. I occasionally drop my r's, always pronounce ing's, my father's sisters are my "ants" and my pajamas rhyme with llamas, just like the children's book says! I alternate on coffee....somewhere between cough-ee and kaaff-ay. "What" definitely rhymes with "but." Water has a wor sound, not a whaaa sound.

TY. I didn't know that term.

Other:
So, as I wasn't familiar with the term, I Googled it and clicked on a video to see if it's what I had in mind. I didn't finish the video because I fell over laughing at Nicky Sunshine who appears around the 0:28 mark.

Ms. Sunshine, remarking on the matter of "sounding white/Black," notes first that she has her professional sound. She then leans and bounces a bit and mentions that she's also got her "I'm a homegirl" sound.

What cracked me up was that i couldn't tell a difference between her professional sound and her "homegirl" sound. LOL

FWIW, the "code switching" I do, if that's what it's called, doesn't manifest as does the code switching the people in the above video describe. In my case, my diction, my sentence structure, cadence and so on don't change. It's just the accent. For example, after I spend a fair bit of time in the South with my family, certain words/syllables I normally pronounce as one sound move closer to having two, so the "o" in "store" starts to sound like a dipthong, "o-ah" instead of a simple "o," but I don't go "full Southern" and say it as "Stowa."​

The manner and extent to which code switching manifests itself can vary from subtle to extreme. Like you, I did not notice any difference in Ms Sunshines code switching. Later on, there is a teacher who says if she talk to her neighbors in Oakland the way she talks to her students in class, they would accuse her of talking white. Thing is, she was talking in her school voice, and to me it sounded like she was talking black though not full on ghetto. Later on, there is a woman who goes from one extreme to the other. Notably, she is a poet so her proficiency at code-switching makes sense given that her profession involves words.

The manner and extent to which code switching manifests itself can vary from subtle to extreme. Like you, I did not notice any difference in Ms Sunshines code switching. Later on, there is a teacher who says if she talk to her neighbors in Oakland the way she talks to her students in class, they would accuse her of talking white. Thing is, she was talking in her school voice, and to me it sounded like she was talking black though not full on ghetto. Later on, there is a woman who goes from one extreme to the other. Notably, she is a poet so her proficiency at code-switching makes sense given that her profession involves words.

In her biography Michelle Obama speaks of this, recalling being asked by a cousin "Why do you talk like a white girl" when she was growing up. She has spoken about it often.

I dont remember any bar being burnt down in Goodfellas. Are you sure you got the right movie?

I grew up in Canarsie, 4 blocks away from the Bamboo Lounge, which is the bar they hung out at. The bar where they celebrated after the Lufthansa heist.

So yeah, I tawk Brooklynese. You gotta problem wit dat?

From - "The Wave" - Rockaway Beach, NY - Thursday, March 21, 1968

"At the foot of the Atlantic
Beach Bridge unmistakably identifiable
by its architectural trademark
stands Sid & Jean Fordin's
popular Golden Dome Restaurant.

However, for really fine gourmet
eating you will have to pass
through the Lounge and into the
lovely Boom-Boom Room. Here
only the handsome pink, red and
gold decor - rivals the beautiful
food served on your plate. Dinner
Is served Wednesday thru
Sunday evenings from 5:30 p.m.
on. Saturday evenings there is
usually name entertainment and
reservations are suggested .
Other nights there- is delightful
piano music to add to your dining
pleasure.

The Fordins excel at making
your small Intimate parties (less
than 100 people) a memorable
event. The next one you plan
give some thought to, leaving it
In their very capable hands.
All in all Sid's Golden Dome is
"the place'* you must try- and
very soon. You'll love it! Oh yes,
they are closed on Mondays and
Tuesdays."

Sid's Golden Dome and The Boom Boom Room.

Sid's was also immortalized in Henry Hill's book "A Goodfella's Guide to New York"

The Bamboo as immortalized in Goodfellas:

"And then finally, when there's nothing left, when you can't borrow another buck from the bank or buy another case of booze, you bust the joint out. You light a match."

But in reality they didn't burn down the Bamboo, they burned down Sid's. The Fordins were relieved that it got torched.
Curiously enough, guess what sits in that spot today?
A fire station. :lamo

I did get The Goodfella's Guide sent to me as a gift from a cousin but I never got around to reading it but if I can dig it out, and there's pictures of Sid's, I promise I'll scan it and share. If you know Atlantic Beach as it was back in the Sixties, you will remember the Golden Dome immediately.

P.S. My uncle and grandfather built a lot of the houses in Canarsie, I can pick em out on sight, they're sort of distinctive in a way. :D

The manner and extent to which code switching manifests itself can vary from subtle to extreme. Like you, I did not notice any difference in Ms Sunshines code switching.

Later on, there is a teacher who says if she talk to her neighbors in Oakland the way she talks to her students in class, they would accuse her of talking white. Thing is, she was talking in her school voice, and to me it sounded like she was talking black though not full on ghetto.

Later on, there is a woman who goes from one extreme to the other. Notably, she is a poet so her proficiency at code-switching makes sense given that her profession involves words.
I did finish the video.

Red:
That woman just sounded Southern to me.

Blue:
I had exactly that thought.

I thought: Well, she's a poet. That's like acting, but with predominantly with words, rather than with an equal mix of words and body language, so she's supposed to use inflection, tone, cadence, enunciation, accent, diction, elocution, etc. to add character to her poetry. She's a better poet because she can hop adroitly through different "flavors" of expression.

From - "The Wave" - Rockaway Beach, NY - Thursday, March 21, 1968

"At the foot of the Atlantic
Beach Bridge unmistakably identifiable
by its architectural trademark
stands Sid & Jean Fordin's
popular Golden Dome Restaurant.

However, for really fine gourmet
eating you will have to pass
through the Lounge and into the
lovely Boom-Boom Room. Here
only the handsome pink, red and
gold decor - rivals the beautiful
food served on your plate. Dinner
Is served Wednesday thru
Sunday evenings from 5:30 p.m.
on. Saturday evenings there is
usually name entertainment and
reservations are suggested .
Other nights there- is delightful
piano music to add to your dining
pleasure.

The Fordins excel at making
your small Intimate parties (less
than 100 people) a memorable
event. The next one you plan
give some thought to, leaving it
In their very capable hands.
All in all Sid's Golden Dome is
"the place'* you must try- and
very soon. You'll love it! Oh yes,
they are closed on Mondays and
Tuesdays."

Sid's Golden Dome and The Boom Boom Room.

Sid's was also immortalized in Henry Hill's book "A Goodfella's Guide to New York"

The Bamboo as immortalized in Goodfellas:

"And then finally, when there's nothing left, when you can't borrow another buck from the bank or buy another case of booze, you bust the joint out. You light a match."

But in reality they didn't burn down the Bamboo, they burned down Sid's. The Fordins were relieved that it got torched.
Curiously enough, guess what sits in that spot today?
A fire station. :lamo

I did get The Goodfella's Guide sent to me as a gift from a cousin but I never got around to reading it but if I can dig it out, and there's pictures of Sid's, I promise I'll scan it and share. If you know Atlantic Beach as it was back in the Sixties, you will remember the Golden Dome immediately.

P.S. My uncle and grandfather built a lot of the houses in Canarsie, I can pick em out on sight, they're sort of distinctive in a way. :D

Ahh, now I see.

They didnt burn down the Bamboo Lounge in Goodfellas. What Hill was talking about was not the Bamboo Lounge but any business they got into. He was describing a basic way of doing business for the mob. Basically, they squeezed everything they could and when the well ran dry, they would torch it for the insurance money. Tony does something similar in The Sopranos with the father of his sons girlfriend who owned a sporting goods store who also owed Tony money for gambling debts

And the bar they do set on fire in the movie is not the Bamboo Lounge. It is not identified, though it probably was a reference to The Golden Dome.

Also, despite its name, The Bamboo Lounge was not a Tiki bar.

on edit: I watched the cli[FONT=&quot]p you [/FONT][FONT=&quot]posted again, and it a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]pears that you are right. The bar they torch is su[/FONT][FONT=&quot]p[/FONT][FONT=&quot]posed to be the Bamboo Lounge.[/FONT]

In her biography Michelle Obama speaks of this, recalling being asked by a cousin "Why do you talk like a white girl" when she was growing up. She has spoken about it often.

I really hate the "sounds white/sounds black" thing, at least as it's applied to speakers of American English.

What sounds black to me? Nigerian, Ghanaian, and other accents that are characteristic of countries populated overwhelmingly by black people.

For instance, Trevor Noah sounds South African to me -- not black, not white, South African. Idris Elba sounds English to me, and every bit as much as any other UK Englishman. But for some reason, in the US, one can sound black or white rather than American.

The US, like any other country, has many accents. Even in one city there can be many accents. My city, DC, one that has at least three native accents that I've noticed. All of them are American, just as the Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, RP, Posh/Upper RP, and the myriad London accents are all English accents.

It sure will be nice when we, as a nation, stop classifying things and people in terms of skin color.

Let's boil this down to the heart of the matter...

Do you say ant or aunt to describe a relative?

In Alabama, my high school friend from New Jersey said "ahnt". I thought it sounded exotic. My nieces and nephews are turning British, so I might be an "ahnt" someday.

A lot of people are complaining about my British accent.

Ahh, now I see.

They didnt burn down the Bamboo Lounge in Goodfellas. What Hill was talking about was not the Bamboo Lounge but any business they got into. He was describing a basic way of doing business for the mob. Basically, they squeezed everything they could and when the well ran dry, they would torch it for the insurance money. Tony does something similar in The Sopranos with the father of his sons girlfriend who owned a sporting goods store who also owed Tony money for gambling debts

And the bar they do set on fire in the movie is not the Bamboo Lounge. It is not identified, though it probably was a reference to The Golden Dome.

Also, despite its name, The Bamboo Lounge was not a Tiki bar.

on edit: I watched the cli[FONT="]p you [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#636363][FONT="]posted again, and it a[/FONT][FONT="]p[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#636363][FONT="]pears that you are right. The bar they torch is su[/FONT][FONT="]p[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#636363][FONT="]posed to be the Bamboo Lounge.[/FONT]

But in reality it really was The Golden Dome. My cousins and I used to talk about wanting to go in there someday. We were punk kids, of course. We even worked up the nerve to actually TRY, attempting to pass ourselves off as old enough, which of course didn't work, and as it turned out, even if it had, the guy who ran us off for real wasn't someone working for the place at all. It was the son of the old neighbor guy next to my grandmother.

HE was allowed in there, and when he saw us three trying to get in, he pushed past everyone and pretty much dragged us out the door by our ears.
He wasn't any kind of made guy, he was just okay to be there, kinda like "There's two kinds of guys in there, there's guys you can hit and guys you can't." And Peter A. was "the guy who tells you" etc etc, like Frenchie in The Departed, only Peter A. was something of a pretty boy, something Frenchie most definitely wasn't.

And apparently, as we were quickly informed, not only would we not be allowed in, we wouldn't be allowed in even on the day of our twenty-first birthdays, or ever, and if Peter A. ever heard that we did go in there and he wasn't there, we'd all get our asses kicked, first by him and then by all his buddies. So, my entire life, my only real visual of that place was the outside and maybe ten seconds on the inside as we fidgeted with our dumb asses.
Peter A. was looking at us with an expression on his face we'd never seen before, slitted dead eyes, mouth flattened at the edges, his glistening white uppers glinting like a dog's.

And sure enough, the word got to my Uncle Oscar, the builder and marlin fisherman. And we all caught Hell.
And you didn't want to catch Hell from him.

Oscar Amoroso 20150304_173951.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really detect one. Some sort of vague mix of sort of but not really midwest (Cinci area), and a mix of various NE areas (MA, NY, Rhode Island).

I grew up in Northern VA, but mostly my accent is "70s TV"...

I do occasionally slip a "y'all" into conversation but it's been a while since I've used the plural of that word, "all y'all"

My accent is South Wales Valley

I grew up in Northern VA, but mostly my accent is "70s TV"...

I do occasionally slip a "y'all" into conversation but it's been a while since I've used the plural of that word, "all y'all"

IIRC, there're "Lon-guy-land" versions of "y'all "and "all y'all": "yooze" and "you-enz," respectively.

Back
Top Bottom