• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's wrong with everybody choosing what is best for their situation.

weaver2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Letting each person, each family, each man and women work out their reproductive lives privately seems like a reasonable philosophy. Those that need to end a a pregnancy that will be devastating to a family are free to do so. Those that consider abortion a sin are free to eshew abortions and bring a child into this world. Everybody gets to pick the action that is best for them and their families.

So why do conservative religious groups want to make everybody follow their single set of rules, rules that don't allow for individual situations, privacy, personal needs or personal freedom. If you think one group can control the private lives of others defend your thoughts with reliable sources keeping in mind that your God (if you believe in God) is not the same as the God pro-choice people believe in. .

Because they claim women are "murdering babies". :rolleyes: (Pure emotional manipulation...it's disturbing that strangers are imagining babies inside women in the first place.) And then they claim women do it so they arent inconvenienced :rolleyes:

Every woman that chooses abortion needs it...it's not up to other people to decide what 'she needs.' They dont know her circumstances, they dont pay 'her consequences'.

Every single pregnancy risks a woman's life, it cant be predicted and all cant be prevented. Every single one risks her health. Each one risks sickness and missing work and losing a job. Risks her ability to feed and care for her family, pay the rent, risks her ability to uphold her commitments and obligations to others...family, friends, church, community, society.

If some people just consider their life, their health, and all their responsibilities to others as "conveniences," well, that's their prerogative but most people consider it important to keep your word and commitments to others.

They're going to kill some women with this. In TX a woman told her story. She was four months pregnant and the baby died. It's still inside her. At the hospital the doctor had to write her a text telling her what they would normally do is terminate her pregnancy to avoid it killing her, but with the new law they cannot. She couldn't even say it aloud in fear she's be reported by a nurse.
She then told them to fly to another state, closest one, to have it. They gave her emergency tips in case she labored on the plane.
This is what it will be like for women now in TX. I won't even get into the 12 year old they found pregnant who didn't qualify.

The conservatives are digressing into a world I thought we escaped. It's gross.

Letting each person, each family, each man and women work out their reproductive lives privately seems like a reasonable philosophy.

Why only for their reproductive lives, and not their lives in general?

Leftists want virtually every part of our lives regulated by the state, but only when it comes to abortion do they back off a little.

Why only for their reproductive lives, and not their lives in general? Leftists want virtually every part of our lives regulated by the state, but only when it comes to abortion do they back off a little.
What part of your life is managed by leftists.

They're going to kill some women with this. In TX a woman told her story. She was four months pregnant and the baby died. It's still inside her. At the hospital the doctor had to write her a text telling her what they would normally do is terminate her pregnancy to avoid it killing her, but with the new law they cannot. She couldn't even say it aloud in fear she's be reported by a nurse.
She then told them to fly to another state, closest one, to have it. They gave her emergency tips in case she labored on the plane.
This is what it will be like for women now in TX. I won't even get into the 12 year old they found pregnant who didn't qualify.

The conservatives are digressing into a world I thought we escaped. It's gross.
That's just unconscionable. I don't even think "abort" is the right word for removing a fetus that is dead.

Letting each person, each family, each man and women work out their reproductive lives privately seems like a reasonable philosophy. Those that need to end a a pregnancy that will be devastating to a family are free to do so. Those that consider abortion a sin are free to eshew abortions and bring a child into this world. Everybody gets to pick the action that is best for them and their families.
Just substitute "reproductive lives" with the word "murder"...............that's why. What else is there to explain ???
So why do conservative religious groups want to make everybody follow their single set of rules, rules that don't allow for individual situations, privacy, personal needs or personal freedom. If you think one group can control the private lives of others defend your thoughts with reliable sources keeping in mind that your God (if you believe in God) is not the same as the God pro-choice people believe in. .

"rules that don't allow for individual situations, privacy, personal needs or personal freedom."
I have asked pro life people and pro choice people that question before and during the pandemic. I guess it all depends.

You've invented the "pro choice" movement all over again.

What part of your life is managed by leftists.

How much I can work for, who I can hire, what I can buy, they even control the time when I may and may not purchase alcohol. They controlled how I built my house, the design of my house, where I could build it on my own land, the materials I was allowed to use to build it and so on and so forth. I could keep on going, but suffice to say that the progressive regulatory state has its filthy fingers in just about every pie.

How much I can work for,
Leftists limit you income?
who I can hire,
who do you want to hire that leftists won't let you hire?
what I can buy,
Oh come on, what is it you can't buy?
they even control the time when I may and may not purchase alcohol.
Store hours are a leftist plot against you?
They controlled how I built my house, the design of my house, where I could build it on my own land, the materials I was allowed to use to build it and so on and so forth.
That's called review and inspection it's to assure you don't build something that will destroy the value of other homes in the neighborhood with your falling down, unsafe, leaking hovel that drains waste water on to other properties. Would you want a pile of junk built next to your home? No? Thank your city fathers, all Republican, for the building codes that keep your investment safe.
I could keep on going, but suffice to say that the progressive regulatory state has its filthy fingers in just about every pie.
I'm sure your neighbors are loving having your cheerful demeanor and positive outlook in their community.

I don't know why questions like this keep getting asked. Everyone has the answer already. If you think that unborn are innocent humans deserving of life and dignity, then you would be pro-life or a monster. If you think that they are just a clump of cells of no import, than you'd be pro-choice.

However, the pro-choice crowd always falls short as they won't admit that unborn humans are deserving as such, even when they are at the point of development where they obviously are. I can only assume that they believe in cervix and vagina are magic that turn a meaningless clump of cells that exist on one side to a baby when it comes out the other.

How much I can work for, who I can hire, what I can buy, they even control the time when I may and may not purchase alcohol. They controlled how I built my house, the design of my house, where I could build it on my own land, the materials I was allowed to use to build it and so on and so forth. I could keep on going, but suffice to say that the progressive regulatory state has its filthy fingers in just about every pie.
Conservative states regulate these things too. There are good reasons for having regulations.

Leftists limit you income?

Read much? I state the regulatory state controls how much people can work for. In the state of CA, for example, it is illegal for employers to pay their employees less than $14 per hour. This means someone who has skills and experience which are only worth $10 will not be able to get a job, since any employer who hires him would lose $4 per hour. To prevent someone from working for less than some arbitrary number is a violation of his liberty.

who do you want to hire that leftists won't let you hire?

I'm guessing you learned to read in a government-run school.

Occupational licensing laws create labor cartels, which prevent consumers from hiring people not in the cartel.

Oh come on, what is it you can't buy?

Lots of different kinds of drugs.

Store hours are a leftist plot against you?

No, they are yet another example of how the progressive regulatory state violates my rights and the rights of those who I buy beer from.

That's called review and inspection it's to assure you don't build something that will destroy the value of other homes in the neighborhood with your falling down, unsafe, leaking hovel that drains waste water on to other properties.

Now if we broaden that a bit, we come to the idea that you should need state permission to do virtually anything which may affect another person. Isn't that what you believe?

Would you want a pile of junk built next to your home? No? Thank your city fathers, all Republican, for the building codes that keep your investment safe.

Let's see if you really believe this. Should all houses be forced to meet modern building codes?

Conservative states regulate these things too. There are good reasons for having regulations.

Good, then don't complain about them wanting to regulate women's vaginas. There are good reasons for vagina regulations.

I see. So regulating construction in order to ensure public safety is equivalent to regulating women's vaginas in your mind?

It's the same principle: the government knows what's best.

Why only for their reproductive lives, and not their lives in general?

Leftists want virtually every part of our lives regulated by the state, but only when it comes to abortion do they back off a little.

Not remotely true regarding other parts of our lives. We dont wish to regulate people's genders, who people have sex with, who people marry, etc.

But we have every right to have an abortion, correct Libertarian?

What cant you buy? Who's pushing for legalizing pot? Give me some examples, besides guns. And source it's the left attempting to control when you can buy booze.

As for zoning and building safety laws, feel free to source they come from the left too.

Last edited:

This is the liberal position in a nutshell. But when you talk about "families" you're assuming that anyone but the woman has a right to know, which I don't agree with. Suppose the pregnant woman confides in her sister, on condition that nobody else will be told. The next day she gets a call from her mother, begging her not to abort. I think there should be grounds to sue in that case.

Privacy is a mainstay of Roe v. Wade, and it should still be central to the woman's right. "To be secure in their persons ... against unreasonable searches." Women should be able to access abortion services just like a hairdo, without any obligation of themselves or the provider to inform the government, or anyone else. In fact children should be too: the Fourth says "persons" which includes children.

How much I can work for,

No.

who I can hire,

No

what I can buy,

Yes, within reasonable limits like you can't buy chemical weapons.

they even control the time when I may and may not purchase alcohol.

Yes, but conservative states/local governments do this much more.

They controlled how I built my house, the design of my house,

Yes, on the understanding that other people (eg your children) may be negatively affected by you choosing to live in a flammable bunker with only one exit.

where I could build it on my own land,

Yes because that affects your neighbours

the materials I was allowed to use to build it

Sort of. You can't use asbestos or nuclear waste, but you didn't want to do that anyway. Surely?

and so on and so forth. I could keep on going,

I doubt it. You strained some mental muscles coming up with that ridiculous list.

but suffice to say that the progressive regulatory state has its filthy fingers in just about every pie.

With the proviso that "progressive" means any government after the 19th century, yeah.

Government is only trying to protect people from their own foolish whims, and when those people grow up and realize the stupid risks they took outside of government regulation, they're thankful that government prevented them from smoking while making fireworks in a rickety four story wooden building with their family upstairs.

Conservatives / Right-wingers don't believe in choice and freedom, except as it relates to their choices and their freedom. They think there should be one God and religion (theirs), one set of laws (theirs), one leader (theirs), one culture (theirs), and everyone else must submit to it. They hate diversity because it is a function of freedom. They hate multiculturalism because it is a function of freedom.

The sooner everyone GETS this the better off we'll all be. You cannot reason with people who fundamentally believe that you should be subservient to them and their beliefs.

The sooner everyone GETS this the better off we'll all be. You cannot reason with people who fundamentally believe that you should be subservient to them and their beliefs.

Oddly though, this is exactly the complaint of right wingers. Faced with SOME employers, SOME platforms, SOME state governments booting them for overt bigotry, they construct a dominant regime which is intolerant of their beliefs and discriminates against them.

To both sides, I say: freedom comes at a cost. Sometimes you must recognize that the place you grew up or the best job you ever had, are the cost you must pay. Sometimes you must make personal sacrifice. You can't just demand your freedom and get it.

"Give me liberty or give me death" is a ludicrous exaggeration, but to those who live in a world of ludicrous exaggeration, losing their job or being banned from Twitter seems like death. It's really not. They got banned for trolling, is all.

Back
Top Bottom