• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's up with the billionaires?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Two have now come out and basically trashed any thought of them being hit with a wealth tax. However, they both seem to recognize 'something' is wrong in america, enough so they want to run for office, maybe.

They are willing to spend millions of their own dollars for a job that pays a few hundred thousand, why? So they can make sure no new taxes are placed on the extremely wealthy?

Why do people with this kind of wealth seem so reluctant to give back more? They have so many ways to dodge taxes and just pass money down from generation to generation making it increasingly harder for the average american to live a remotely decent care free life. A living wage, good health care, good education, clean air and water. Why are these things just so hard to accomplish in america. One of a few reasons, I'll give you two. Money and greed.

Is it time for the extremely wealthy to give back a little more?

Two have now come out and basically trashed any thought of them being hit with a wealth tax. However, they both seem to recognize 'something' is wrong in america, enough so they want to run for office, maybe.

They are willing to spend millions of their own dollars for a job that pays a few hundred thousand, why? So they can make sure no new taxes are placed on the extremely wealthy?

Why do people with this kind of wealth seem so reluctant to give back more? They have so many ways to dodge taxes and just pass money down from generation to generation making it increasingly harder for the average american to live a remotely decent care free life. A living wage, good health care, good education, clean air and water. Why are these things just so hard to accomplish in america. One of a few reasons, I'll give you two. Money and greed.

There are about 540 billionaires (now) in the US.

That (seciond bolded above) is a good question but requires carefully defining some things in order to become 'policy'.

1) What is "extreme" wealth?

2) How would wealth (as opposed to income) be taxed?

3) How much is "a little" more?

Just a moment. Are you saying that before there were extremely wealthy income earners (i.e., millionaires and billionaires), most Americans were enjoying decent care-free lives?

If by extremely wealthy, you mean the top 1% (anyone earning more than $480,000.00 per year), they already pay 39% of taxes collected by the Federal government. What is a little bit more to you, bongsaway?

Last edited:
There are about 540 billionaires (now) in the US.

That (seciond bolded above) is a good question but requires carefully defining some things in order to become 'policy'.

1) What is "extreme" wealth?

2) How would wealth (as opposed to income) be taxed?

3) How much is "a little" more?

Without specifics.....I agree with his overall message.

I think when billionaires, and most others, run for President it is about power, not profit. Maybe even some boredom has set in after doing all they can in the business world.

They already have given back.
how much more do you want them to give?

you want to know what? these people aren't stupid.
they will take their money and their businesses and go elsewhere with it.

I think when billionaires, and most others, run for President it is about power, not profit. Maybe even some boredom has set in after doing all they can in the business world.

With progressives its about the power to get the rich to contribute more......with conservatives its about the power to not have to contribute.

Marginal rate?

What specifically do you mean by marginal rate, srexob715? And in your opinion, how are impoverished Americans helped by the rich being taxed more?

i don't really support a "wealth tax." i'd like to see more individual income going through the current marginal rate system, however.

You mean they want to keep most of their money?

You're right! WTF is up with that ****?!?

Imagine, keeping most of your own money!

Buncha nut jobs! They must think they live in a free country, or some ****!

Back
Top Bottom