• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's this scam?

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I go to facebook marketplace frequently to look for used tools I might like, and one of the things I'm keeping an eye out for is a plunge router. So when I plug that into a search I get this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 11.48.11 AM.jpg

That's a ~$230 Bosch plunge and fixed base router that a different person is selling each time for $10 or $20 with free shipping. The accounts are spoofed somehow (for example, one time it belonged to a pizzeria in Brooklyn). Like everybody else here, I've been getting scams since the invention of the internet, but I like knowing what the mechanisms behind those scams are. This time I have to admit I'm puzzled. How does this one work? Keep in mind that there's buyer protection on Facebook Marketplace. Is this just an info phishing thing?

I've seen these type ads also. (tools and golf)

I skip over them without any thought at all.

I think Bosch and Porter Cable are making the best (new) plunge routers. The new Bosch's are fairly quiet and have good balance. But it doesn't hurt to have a older PC 690VK laying around as a back up and they can be had pretty cheap.

All of the $10 offers that I found, show the ad has been removed. If you’re just beginning, I would get a trim router before a 2 1/2 hp beast. You just need to take smaller ‘bites’ and you cannot use a monster for a trim router…..my 2cents.

All of the $10 offers that I found, show the ad has been removed. If you’re just beginning, I would get a trim router before a 2 1/2 hp beast. You just need to take smaller ‘bites’ and you cannot use a monster for a trim router…..my 2cents.
Can I make dado joints with a trim router?

I've seen these type ads also. (tools and golf)

I skip over them without any thought at all.

Well sure, I’m just baffled what the scam’s mechanism is (besides stealing your earthly possessions, of course).

I think Bosch and Porter Cable are making the best (new) plunge routers. The new Bosch's are fairly quiet and have good balance. But it doesn't hurt to have a older PC 690VK laying around as a back up and they can be had pretty cheap.

Good to know that PC is good. At this point in my woodworking hobby, I suspect a Bosch might be throwing pearls before swine. That said, I ignorantly dropped my hard earned dollars on a Bosch Table Saw and have never regretted it. So there’s something to be said for dropping a few more dollars on the better thing, because a lot of times it pays off in the long run.

Can I make dado joints with a trim router?
Depends how wide you need them to be, (dados.)
The arbor is only going to be 1/4” and any bit over 1/2” is probably going to tax the motor, on a trim router. You have to have patience no matter which one you use. Making many nibbling passes is better that trying to hog all the wood out at once. You have a dado blade set, right? Gotta walk before you run….
I think a trim router gives a shop more versatility, my opinion for what it’s worth.

Well sure, I’m just baffled what the scam’s mechanism is (besides stealing your earthly possessions, of course).

Good to know that PC is good. At this point in my woodworking hobby, I suspect a Bosch might be throwing pearls before swine. That said, I ignorantly dropped my hard earned dollars on a Bosch Table Saw and have never regretted it. So there’s something to be said for dropping a few more dollars on the better thing, because a lot of times it pays off in the long run.

Any money on Bosch is usually well spent.

Back
Top Bottom