• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's the problem with Deism?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Deism:
  1. belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind.

So why didn't Deism thrive and over-take Theism? Especially as we've moved into a much more modern and literate society?

Does it not offer the "reward/punishment" system of "justice" that many crave?
Is it a "hopeless" ideology? The whole "not interacting with humans" part is the catch?

I mean, it covers the bases for "how all this got started" and allows for all the "intelligent design" and "watchmaker" trains of thought.
It covers the idea of evolution and other stumbling blocks that many theistic religion are at odds over.

Many of the USofA's founding fathers were Deists.

So why has deism basically seemed to disappear from modern society?

Clearly its easy to point to a ginormous lack of "god/supernatural interaction" with mankind over the last few thousand years.

A "supreme being" doesn't even have to be a "supernatural being" does it? Is that the problem?

Deism seems to check some boxes that theism doesn't, some I'm wondering why it's all but disappeared from modern society?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Deism is socially worthless. If you can't use something to exert power over others, it has no real value. Well, to those who want power, that is. That is why theism won the day, it could be used to control people with fear.

Deism is socially worthless. If you can't use something to exert power over others, it has no real value. Well, to those who want power, that is. That is why theism won the day, it could be used to control people with fear.
Certainly a theory that fits right in with my "rewards/punishment" system of justice.

It's a theory that has merit that's for sure.

And there it is. You both beat me to it and said much better than I would have.

Deism:

So why didn't Deism thrive and over-take Theism? Especially as we've moved into a much more modern and literate society?

Is it a "hopeless" ideology? The whole "not interacting with humans" part is the catch?

I mean, it covers the bases for "how all this got started" and allows for all the "intelligent design" and "watchmaker" trains of thought.
It covers the idea of evolution and other stumbling blocks that many theistic religion are at odds over.

Clearly its easy to point to a ginormous lack of "god/supernatural interaction" with mankind over the last few thousand years.

A "supreme being" doesn't even have to be a "supernatural being" does it? Is that the problem?

Deism seems to check some boxes that theism doesn't, some I'm wondering why it's all but disappeared from modern society?

Thoughts?
Deism answers the question of how, while theism addresses the question of both how and why. Most people function better knowing why rather than how. The why gives purpose.

Deism answers the question of how, while theism addresses the question of both how and why. Most people function better knowing why rather than how. The why gives purpose.
What’s the “why” exactly?

Deists believe there is a God but He is not interested in His creation...that is absurd...

"Five sparrows sell for two coins of small value, do they not? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Have no fear; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6,7

Deism:

Thoughts?

I'm guessing that it didn't thrive compared to theism because

(1) it's equally unsupported by evidence,

(2) it has none of the supposed benefits of theism, and

(3) it doesn't have a motivated professional leadership running a program to threaten and brainwash children into lifelong membership.

What’s the “why” exactly?
It varies for each individual. Purpose being but one. We are creatures of purpose and without it life can be meaningless. That is not to say unbelievers can't discover purpose in their lives - they can and do -- but for many believers a greater purpose of life can be found through theism. What does deism offer?

It varies for each individual. Purpose being but one. We are creatures of purpose and without it life can be meaningless. That is not to say unbelievers can't discover purpose in their lives - they can and do -- but for many believers a greater purpose of life can be found through theism. What does deism offer?
That is not the "why" I was asking about.

You said (paraphrasing):

Deism answers "how", but not "why".
Theism answers "how" and "why".

What's the "why" part of the above?

To me, that comment you made has nothing to do with why humans find purpose in theism.

As an aside, I find it tragic that some people need a belief in a supernatural entity to have "purpose" or "meaning".

..that is absurd...

Nowhere near as absurd as believing a "god" created/intended man to be imperfect and flawed, but then punishes, murders, and eternally punishes because man is imperfect and flawed.

That is not the "why" I was asking about.

You said (paraphrasing):

Deism answers "how", but not "why".
Theism answers "how" and "why".

What's the "why" part of the above?

To me, that comment you made has nothing to do with why humans find purpose in theism.

As an aside, I find it tragic that some people need a belief in a supernatural entity to have "purpose" or "meaning".
Dragonfly, you asked a question. In good faith I responded to it. I can't help it that you don't like the answer. And I also can't help that instead of considering the answer given related to the problem with deism (YOUR question) you prefer to focus on the problem with theism. Your question was answered -- deal with it.

Nowhere near as absurd as believing a "god" created/intended man to be imperfect and flawed, but then punishes, murders, and eternally punishes because man is imperfect and flawed.
lol...that's what you believe, not me...

Deism:

Thoughts?
There wasn't the institutional passing on of the deist concepts and values to the next generation, which theism provides.

Deism:

Thoughts?

It’s a pointless philosophy.

Deists believe there is a God but He is not interested in His creation...that is absurd...

"Five sparrows sell for two coins of small value, do they not? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Have no fear; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:6,7

And why should anyone accept the Bible as evidence of anything?

Deism:

Thoughts?
The problem with Deism is that the salvation of Jesus for mankind would have never happened. There would also be no objective moral code for men to live by.

The earth would be an evil cesspool of subjective humanism.

The problem with Deism is that the salvation of Jesus for mankind would have never happened. There would also be no objective moral code for men to live by.

The earth would be an evil cesspool of subjective humanism.
Salvation is not needed. That is a snake oil cure for a disease that does not exist.

Deism (absentee landlord god) is the only logical stance if a person claims to believe in a creator. It isn't common because most people don't know about it and it is not very politically useful due to the fact that the deity is neither worshipped or prayed to.

You and Satan are on the same page with that horse manure.
Don't blame others for what your god created. Satan only exists because of your god.

Deism is too boring, and it does not fill the pews on Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom