• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What's the point of the Apocalypse?

Canell

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Howdy, people!

If the Apocalypse predicts bad (to say the least) things for humanity and the planet, what's the point of all this?
Is the Revelation of John a warning to be evaded or an inevitable nightmare to be lived through?

Do you think the Apocalypse is a self-fulfilling prophecy?

IMO the Revelation of John will happen no matter what. There is no scripture that clearly states, "if you do these things and be nice people the Apocalypse won't happen" so all we can do is prepare ourselves for it. So to answer your question I will have to answer yes, it is a self-fulfilling porphecy. I don't see the world getting to be a better place anytime soon. And there are plenty of things that have already or are taking place. It's inevitable.

Howdy, people!

If the Apocalypse predicts bad (to say the least) things for humanity and the planet, what's the point of all this?
Is the Revelation of John a warning to be evaded or an inevitable nightmare to be lived through?

Odd question. Which apocalypse are you speaking of? If you're confining this to the biblical apocalypse, the "point" is obvious and all you have to do is read the book to know that. Yes, in that case it's inevitable - this is prophesy (what will happen by the prophet's view).

Not quite sure how the dead rising could be self-fulfilled. :mrgreen:

What makes you sure a futurist interpretation is necessary?

Howdy, people!

It is a foretelling of real events to come. Not avoidable.

Howdy, people!

Don't we have one every few years? I think we're fairly overdue.

Howdy, people!

Are you talking about the battle of Armageddon that ushers in the Apocalypse?
Revelations is highly symbolic and couldn't be literal. It reads like someone on acid.
Even The Book of Daniel is confusing about the End of Days.

I don't think we're suppose to know about that stuff.

Are you talking about the battle of Armageddon that ushers in the Apocalypse?
Revelations is highly symbolic and couldn't be literal. It reads like someone on acid.
Even The Book of Daniel is confusing about the End of Days.

I don't think we're suppose to know about that stuff.

You are saying all of Revelation is symbolic and none of it could be literal?

If we aren't supposed to know about it then why is it even in the Bible??

Because it's written by humans in code. Didn't even Jesus speak in parables?

You are saying all of Revelation is symbolic and none of it could be literal?

I seriously doubt most of it is literal and what parts are not is even harder to discern. Are you saying you can literally decipher it?

Yes He did but that doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to know about it. If we have the spirit of God with us as we are reading the scripture are spiritual mind will be opened and we can understand these "codes".

I seriously doubt most of it is literal and what parts are not is even harder to discern. Are you saying you can literally decipher it?

Not the whole thing no. Some of it can be though.

Yes He did but that doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to know about it. If we have the spirit of God with us as we are reading the scripture are spiritual mind will be opened and we can understand these "codes".

I'm not saying we aren't suppose to understand God's purpose in our lives just not all the prophetic details of the future. Maybe someone even knows but you'll have very little luck convincing others that you're correct. Jesus supposedly performed all manner of miracles during his time and many didn't believe.

Not the whole thing no. Some of it can be though.

That's my point that only some of it known can leave you more confused than sure of anything. Some of it I'm sure could be literally true but what parts?

I'm not saying we aren't suppose to understand God's purpose in our lives just not all the prophetic details of the future. Maybe someone even knows but you'll have very little luck convincing others that you're correct. Jesus supposedly performed all manner of miracles during his time and many didn't believe.

I couldn't agree more with you according to the bolded section. In today's world one who had the full truth would be attacked by several words if they tried to convince someone of the truth which they had knowlegde of. You can already see the issues of many religions that agree one with another. But the examle of Jesus is great evidence on this subject. If they didn't believe the Lord and Savior why would they believe a normal person??

But it's true, sorry, can't help the truth. My god is my god.

Jesus actually beat Death though and came back to life, and will come back to destroy the forces of evil, Satan will be vanquished, and on that day at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!

Howdy, people!

The real apocalypse will happen when a planet shattering event takes place:
An asteroid hits Earth. Scientists say that, should an object like the one that hit Jupiter a few years ago hit one of Earth's oceans, it would create a tidal wave ten kilometers high. That would be an apocalyptic event.
Should one of Earth's "super volcanoes", like Yellowstone, go off in a big way, it would create enough dust and ash to block off the sun and cause an ice age.
Humans could cause an apocalypse by setting off enough nuclear bombs. That scenario is much less likely than it was once, but could still happen.
An outbreak of a virulent enough pathogen could decimate humanity. That might not affect other creatures so negatively, but would be an apocalypse for human kind.
Humans could deliberately create a virulent pathogen, then let it get away.

If it's any comfort, though, even if some such disaster should wipe out 99.9% of the human race, there would still be seven million of us left. We'd still not be an endangered species. Moreover, humans, coyotes, and ravens are among the most adaptable creatures on Earth. We'd survive.

But, there's no way that predictions made thousands of years ago before anyone even knew about diseases and asteroids have any bearing on today's world, particularly when they can have 100 different meanings for 100 different readers. That sort of apocalyptic prediction has no more credibility than the results of tarot cards or reading of chicken entrails.

Jesus actually beat Death though and came back to life, and will come back to destroy the forces of evil, Satan will be vanquished, and on that day at the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!

Personally,that sounds like the plot to a bad comic book,but that's just me.

Well,if that what YOU believe,then that is what YOU believe.

No one is required to believe that just because that is what YOU believe.
Unless,of course, you have absolute concrete proof that your beliefs actually correspond to reality.
Just saying.

Personally,that sounds like the plot to a bad comic book,but that's just me.

Well,if that what YOU believe,then that is what YOU believe.

No one is required to believe that just because that is what YOU believe.
Unless,of course, you have absolute concrete proof that your beliefs actually correspond to reality.
Just saying.

There is plenty of proof to the Resurrection of Christ and Crucifixion too.

Back
Top Bottom