• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What's the last cigar you smoked?

Sarcogito

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I have a few "vices" that I never intend to give up, as opposed to my many vices I would happily part with. I enjoy a nightly dram of good Scotch and 1 or two cigars a week. I also never turn down a pint of good craft beer when I am in a country where I can get it.

Right now I am smoking a Pueblo Dominicano Torpedo. It is a good "go to" cigar. I do prefer the darker cigars and have come to prefer Dominicans and Nicaraguans to Cubans. What about you?

Ashton Cabinet 7.

Waiting for a box of Hemingways to come in.

Royal Jamaica Gold. I used to smoke Cojimars since I had a hook-up with the local humidor and he gave me a good price, but now I'm almost exclusive to RJG.

Smooth smoke, like silk.

I don't know what my last cigar was... It was in Ukraine and was a brand from Ukraine. This was 2-3 years ago.

The last cigarrette I smoked was also 2-3 years ago. Can't remember the brand... most likely Lucky Strike or KENT silver. Those were the ones I usually smoked when I hanged out with people.

The last quality cigar I had was a Partagas #10 Maduro.

The last was a Tres Reynas robusto. Great flavor for a moderate price.

Never smoked one myself. Just the thought of it makes me sick. When I was a kid, my grandpa smoked cigars, and when I was maybe 3 or 4 I asked if I could try his. He must have wanted to dissuade me from smoking, because he told me yes, but I had to make sure to take a really deep breath. Needless to say I was sick as a dog for a day or so, and I've never had any desire to try one again.

I tried smoking some 20 times with various brands. The last one was a Marlboro some 20 years ago.

Muniemaker regulars - a brand made in the US with US grown tobacco - nothing import.

I grew up in Virginia/Kentucky - my great uncle grew tobacco in Kentucky - so I've come to love the homegrown flavors from the region.

Must have been in the late 90's.... a gift from Bill Clinton.

I have a few "vices" that I never intend to give up, as opposed to my many vices I would happily part with. I enjoy a nightly dram of good Scotch and 1 or two cigars a week. I also never turn down a pint of good craft beer when I am in a country where I can get it.

Right now I am smoking a Pueblo Dominicano Torpedo. It is a good "go to" cigar. I do prefer the darker cigars and have come to prefer Dominicans and Nicaraguans to Cubans. What about you?

I do like Cubans, but one thing I've noticed about Cubans is that it's a much more...robust smoke.

My general rule is that if I want a heavier smoke, I'll go Cuban (if I can get them). However, Dominican-based blends (IMO) are superior for a mild to medium smoke. I think that my RJGs, despite the name, have mostly Dominican elements to them. It's also the best mild/medium cigar I've had.

One of these, before I was the age of majority.

tiparillocigars.gif

You might try the Kristoff Corojo. Nicaragua grown, Cuban seed, a little spicer than Cuba, but also milder.

Double Crown Corona #1 - thanks to the poster above. :)

My favorite is a Flor De Las Antillas Toro.

laflorawardlg2.jpg

I do like Cubans, but one thing I've noticed about Cubans is that it's a much more...robust smoke.

My general rule is that if I want a heavier smoke, I'll go Cuban (if I can get them). However, Dominican-based blends (IMO) are superior for a mild to medium smoke. I think that my RJGs, despite the name, have mostly Dominican elements to them. It's also the best mild/medium cigar I've had.
Cuban's - never had one that was worth a damn.

If you want a smoke that will curl your toes get a Liga Privada #9.

Last cigar I smoked was a "Toscano Gran Riserva", italian one. Very good, delicious actually. But by the time, was 2 years ago...

Cuban's - never had one that was worth a damn.

If you want a smoke that will curl your toes get a Liga Privada #9.

You really need a certain taste for Cubans, and if you are monogamous to a mild smoke, Cubans are definitely not the way to go. Even their mediums can be a little overwhelming to people who are more used to blends closely affiliated to Nicaraguan or Dominican in origin.

I'm always up for something new, so I may check out your suggestion. With luck, I can find it in a "variety pack". I do those once in a while to see if I just happen to stumble upon something that really hits the spot.

You really need a certain taste for Cubans, and if you are monogamous to a mild smoke, Cubans are definitely not the way to go. Even their mediums can be a little overwhelming to people who are more used to blends closely affiliated to Nicaraguan or Dominican in origin.

I'm always up for something new, so I may check out your suggestion. With luck, I can find it in a "variety pack". I do those once in a while to see if I just happen to stumble upon something that really hits the spot.
I'm used to a complex cigar. Cuba's, while they can be stout, are very often single noted with a heavy pepper flavor. A common reason for this is that they have limited growing area and the ground is saturated and dead from years of use without rotation. Plus, they use all of the tobacco plant rather than specific leaves that most mfg does. Take a Cuban seed binder grown in Honduras as filler and a Nicaraguan wrapper - you have potential for a nice evening enhanced with some GlenLevit 18+.

I like a stick that has flavor and is distinct. I prefer a medium but will smoke a heavy in social after a few drinks.

Good luck finding Liga Privada #9 in a variety pack. You will likely have to hit up a BM and order it. Well worth it if you like a heavy smoke.

I'm used to a complex cigar. Cuba's, while they can be stout, are very often single noted with a heavy pepper flavor. A common reason for this is that they have limited growing area and the ground is saturated and dead from years of use without rotation. Plus, they use all of the tobacco plant rather than specific leaves that most mfg does. Take a Cuban seed binder grown in Honduras as filler and a Nicaraguan wrapper - you have potential for a nice evening enhanced with some GlenLevit 18+.

I like a stick that has flavor and is distinct. I prefer a medium but will smoke a heavy in social after a few drinks.

Good luck finding Liga Privada #9 in a variety pack. You will likely have to hit up a BM and order it. Well worth it if you like a heavy smoke.

I haven't had a Cuban since moving away from Michigan - and that's because Windsor was an hour drive for me (still legal in Canada, thank God). I really don't miss it much. I prefer a medium myself - and as we've both stated, Cubans just don't fit the bill for that.

How much are these Liga Privadas? Aside from them just being a great smoke, the other reason I love Royal Jamaica Golds is that, when bought in bulk, they're around 3 bucks a pop (tack on a few extra cents per, for S/H). Am I going to have to dig deep just to smoke one of these?

How much are these Liga Privadas? Aside from them just being a great smoke, the other reason I love Royal Jamaica Golds is that, when bought in bulk, they're around 3 bucks a pop (tack on a few extra cents per, for S/H). Am I going to have to dig deep just to smoke one of these?
You can get them from your local Brick & Mortar (recommended) ~$15. Also I recommend the robusto.

Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estate - Cigars International

I think they have Monica Lewinsky on staff...

I haven't had a Cuban since moving away from Michigan - and that's because Windsor was an hour drive for me (still legal in Canada, thank God). I really don't miss it much. I prefer a medium myself - and as we've both stated, Cubans just don't fit the bill for that.

If you're looking for a decent priced, medium body try Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R Vitola Forty-Four at $6.75 a pop. The hardest thing will be in remembering the name....lol

If you're looking for a decent priced, medium body try Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R Vitola Forty-Four at $6.75 a pop. The hardest thing will be in remembering the name....lol

Wow, you guys are making me feel cheap now, like I'm smoking some basement stogies.

Maybe I just smoke too much, and spending that much on cigars you smoke frequently...that can get a touch pricey.

Wow, you guys are making me feel cheap now, like I'm smoking some basement stogies.

Maybe I just smoke too much, and spending that much on cigars you smoke frequently...that can get a touch pricey.

I haven't smoked in awhile though it can be a pricey habit for quality sticks. I was never a snobster like my college buddies and liked Te-Amo a cheaper mexican brand. But if you really want to sample the range you've got to pop for a few premo's like the La Aurora Preferidos. I went to a local shop and got a hand picked sampler of H. Upmann, Ashton, Partagas, Romeo, Hoyo de Monterrey etc. It's nothing to drop a few yards on a fist full to round off a humidor.

Back
Top Bottom